• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The inserts (not pads) only influence treble above 6kHz.
The 2-5kHz (clarity region) will not be altered much by the inserts.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Ordered these from Dan Clark on the 15th of Jan,just shipped on the 26th of Jan,scheduled to arrive on Feb 1st,now I have to take a day off of work to sign for these,didn't even have the courtesy to upgrade shipping even after I spoke to them about the delay,this left a bad taste in my mouth.

quimbo

Probably due to how many orders. Ordered mine 12/24, shipped 1/4, delivered 1/8, just about the same cadence

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well your wallet will like these the best.
So you think these are the better choice? vs the Drop version? The price is not that different so SQ is everything in this decision. I'm leaning toward these. The Drop warranty can be an issue.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Probably due to how many orders. Ordered mine 12/24, shipped 1/4, delivered 1/8, just about the same cadence
I figured the same thing,but if they're not in stock say so,they had my money for two weeks

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I figured the same thing,but if they're not in stock say so,they had my money for two weeks
That sucks. Wish someone who has heard both HP's would chime in on the SQ/differences in build quality, etc. That would make my decision much easier. Never owned planars so gotta have a pair.

quimbo

I know many / most people here don't like / read Head-Fi but there is a thread there where dca responded to this query on 1/12:

Just curious if these have started shipping yet...
Yes. 100% of current orders are expected to ship over the next 10 days. We're at capacity...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So you think these are the better choice? vs the Drop version? The price is not that different so SQ is everything in this decision. I'm leaning toward these. The Drop warranty can be an issue.

My guess and based on the fact essentially the same price and Dan's quote on here that they are "very similar" leads me to think differences are cosmetic.

If you don't want to chance that , get these as they have been measured and rated here strongly.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I know many / most people here don't like / read Head-Fi but there is a thread there where dca responded to this query on 1/12:

Just curious if these have started shipping yet...
Yes. 100% of current orders are expected to ship over the next 10 days. We're at capacity...
Yes I found that out on Friday from DCA receptionist,but I would have to take a day off to sign for them, message DC and they're going to redirect them to my place of employment,yay all happy now

Illtrick

Ordering fromi Dan Clark gets you a return window and direct warranty support. Ordering from Drop gets you a slight discount (+points) with a "all sales final" policy and likely more challenges with warranty claims.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buying from dca gets you this as well, not sure if Drop does or not

Did not know that. I believe that clinches it. DCA all the way.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess and based on the fact essentially the same price and Dan's quote on here that they are "very similar" leads me to think differences are cosmetic.

If you don't want to chance that , get these as they have been measured and rated here strongly.

So, on the DCA site one can choose between closed and open back for the same price. I know Amir measured the closed back but I've always like the sound of open back HP's but I've never heard planars. Don't think my past experience tells me anything useful. Has anyone heard both the open and closed back of this HP?

IoYajGahju

Oh, these headphones look positively fascinating, and at a decent price too.
Guess picked right time to join the forum :)

Perhaps I should consider buying a better DAC/Amp while at it.

@Dan Clark , if I may ask, what do you think regarding the E1DA PowerDAC V2 amp ?
I'm kind of torn between them and MiniDSP's offering (I want DAC, amp and equalizer in one unit to save desk space) and this one is, well, inexpensive and seems to be generally well liked, but I decided to ask for professional opinion since I've discovered this thread and the manufacturer of the headphone is here in it

mackat

Forum Donor
I just got my Aeon 2 Closed that I purchased used. Kinda funny that they ended up back in San Diego, where they were made. Wow, these are some great sounding headphones! A few months ago, I tried the ZMF Aeolus, which I really wasn’t a fan of. I felt like they barely had any treble.

From what I’m hearing, this pair will be a keeper. I love my HD650’s, but it seems like these may have a less fatiguing midrange? They kind of remind me of a cross between the HD650 and DT880. I’m not great at describing what I’m hearing, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

I am currently using them with the black foam inserts, as they were a little bright for me without them. I haven’t tried the black felt or white foam yet.

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
What kind of connectors/plugs does the Aeon cable have on the headphone-side? Is this a proprietary Dan-Clark-thing or some standard plug? So, are there (generic) 3rd-party-cables that can be used?

Thanks, Sunny

tsanguine

Forum Donor
What kind of connectors/plugs does the Aeon cable have on the headphone-side? Is this a proprietary Dan-Clark-thing or some standard plug? So, are there (generic) 3rd-party-cables that can be used?

Thanks, Sunny
You can buy the bare connector from them and make your own cables but I'll warn you they are an absolute pain in the ass to work with in my experience.

Here is the only aftermarket cable I was able to find for a reasonable price. USD$60.00 - XLR 4.4mm Hi-Res Silver Plated 7N OCC Earphone Cable For Mr Speakers Alpha Dog Ether C Flow Mad Dog AEON - lunashops online shop

I ended up modding mine and replacing their connector with 3.5mm. (1) Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion | Page 20 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org (head-fi.org)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

They are 4 pin Hirose, an uncommon standard. The connectors themselves are available on the DCA site for better prices than I found elsewhere.

As @tsanguine said, they are difficult to work with. Because of the way the male plugs screw together you need an extra female jack to actually assemble them so make sure to get one as well.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any plans for measuring the Open version?

Top Bottom