• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

Gurkerl

Would the SMSL SH-9 be able to suffiently power these? Or should I be looking at the Monoprice THX 887 to be completely future proof?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would the SMSL SH-9 be able to suffiently power these? Or should I be looking at the Monoprice THX 887 to be completely future proof?

Both will easily be able to. Shouldn't be able to tell the difference but I'd probably go with the sh-9 personally.

Gurkerl

Both will easily be able to. Shouldn't be able to tell the difference but I'd probably go with the sh-9 personally.

Thanks! Yeah the SH-9 can be had for 270€ here, whereas the Monoprice is 408€ (on the US-Site it's on sale currently for 350Usd). That is a significant difference, making me lean more towards the SH-9.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks! Yeah the SH-9 can be had for 270€ here, whereas the Monoprice is 408€ (on the US-Site it's on sale currently for 350Usd). That is a significant difference, making me lean more towards the SH-9.
The sh-9 also doubles as a preamp, whereas the monoprice is only a headphone amp with a passthrough.

Jayce99

How do these compare to the DT 177x GO from Drop? Price range is within $50 USD, but I'm more concerned with sound and build quality. I live in Canada, and Amazon CA does happen to carry the DT 177x, but it looks like this DCA RT Closed is only available from their website in the US (which means very high shipping fees and the strong possibility of import fees/duties alongside the crappy CAD to USD exchange rate).

Anyway, does anyone happen to have any recommendations between the two? I've VERY hesitant to order cross border because of the outrageous shipping and additional fees, but I wouldn't mind to hear opinions on both of them. I'll mainly be using them for listening to music (lossless), gaming, and HD movies, so no mastering/critical listening, or any of that. I come from the classic Denon D2000, so I really enjoy my bass and sub-bass rumble, and I like that the DCA are Planar Magnetics.

Cheers!

mackat

Forum Donor
I just bought a pair of lightly used Aeon 2 closed. I'm excited to give them a listen!

MKreroo

Now I think about it,
Is there any plans or ways to perhaps re-fit these headphones with the yolk of Aeon 2?

6speed

Oh, forgot to say that these are my everyday headphones. :)

@amirm How much leakage these headphones have? IOW, would someone next to you hear high frequencies leaking out, or are they essentially silent at long term listening levels?

Frio

Just got the aeon rt open. I really like it, in a sense of I just sold my akg. Good bass, precise treble, nicer haptic feeling combined with comfort. Very good headphones, not easy to beat in that price range. My monoprice 887 is now happy to find a worthy opponent, even gets a little bit warm.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm How much leakage these headphones have? IOW, would someone next to you hear high frequencies leaking out, or are they essentially silent at long term listening levels?
I am sorry I can't answer that as no one sits next to me. :) I think they are good though from what I recall of the sweeps running on it.

maruko

Hi, I would like to buy these headphones but I can't find the technical specifications.

I would like to know if my amplifier (Topping A90) is suitable for driving them.

I could only find the impedance value (13 Ohm).

Topping A90 output more than 3300mW on 13 Ohm loads. :confused:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes A90 can drive them with ease.
Dan doesn't believe in specifications so doesn't post them.

This is what I know:

Type: Over ear, closed
Usage: Home and portable
Driver type: orthodynamic
Pads: pleather, glued
Inner pad dimensions: Height 85mm, Width 45mm (at widest point), Depth 25mm
Collapsible: No
Headphone connector: Hirose connector
Cable entry: double sided
Cable: replaceable, 2m with gold plated 3.5 mm TRS plug or 4-pin XLR
Driver size: 35mm x 50mm
Nom. power rating: unknown (assumed 3W)
Max. voltage: 6.2V (assumed 3W)
Max. current: 500mA (0.5A) (assumed 3W)
Max. S.P.L.: 114dB (assumed 3W)
Impedance: 13 Ω
Efficiency: 78 dB/1mW (97dB/1V)
Weight: 340 g.
Clamping force: low/medium
Accessories: DUMMER cable, clamshell travel case, screw on 6.3mm TRS converter

Given the fact that Amir measured THD at 114dB SPL tells me that at least it can handle 3W music power.

Illtrick

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like drop has their own version of this. Still unsure of the difference between the Drop Aeon X Closed and the RT. Looking like $20. If anyone else has more know-how / insight please share!

from the horse's mouth:
The Drop headphone is very similar to the RT.

Top Bottom