• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Damn. I ordered the Closed X at the end of June, with the "22SUMMERSTARTED" Code, but it was only -$20 from the $399 :(
The funny thing is... that code "July22" was only supposed to be for $20, but it took off 20%. I see that they've relisted the item after saying it was sold out. Mine has already been shipped, so I'm really happy with the deal.... looking forward to checking these out.
1657661981220.jpeg

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The funny thing is... that code "July22" was only supposed to be for $20, but it took off 20%. I see that they've relisted the item after saying it was sold out. Mine has already been shipped, so I'm really happy with the deal.... looking forward to checking these out.View attachment 217993

Incredible deal! I had to pay 399 for the Aeon Open with the 20 off. First ever order from Drop and first ever planars for me. I really dislike that they absolutely chose the slowest UPS shipping rather than let us choose the shipping for ourselves. 9 days and counting so far from NJ to CA and cross fingers they get delivered tomorrow

Elfsberg

Damn, July22 does nothing for my price. :( I'm in EU/Sweden.. Not even the first order discount gets registered.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Untitled.jpg

Got my DCA Aeon Open X. Very first planar Immaculate vocal machine headphone! Less soundstage than my K712 but much much fuller sounding!

Bleib

Major Contributor
Damn, July22 does nothing for my price. :( I'm in EU/Sweden.. Not even the first order discount gets registered.
Works for me, also in Sweden.
"JULY22 (-$20.00)"
But ordering from drop is not free from toll and other extra expenses..

Elfsberg

Works for me, also in Sweden.
"JULY22 (-$20.00)"
But ordering from drop is not free from toll and other extra expenses..
Oh, man. Case sensitive.. lol
On parental leave 399 USD was really pushing my limits.

Kaleid, right?

Bleib

Major Contributor

HGNBB

Looking for amp, had the jds labs atom amp. Even with gain, couldn't tell if there was any low end being produced unless knob turned up. I'm guessing it's a current issue ? Looking at the asgard 3 with DAC. One thing I don't like is having two separate amp/dac multiple plugs ect. Desktop and portable are being considered.

Elfsberg

How do you define "low end"?
However you choose to put it, the JDS is a reference level amplifier and switching to another just won't make any big difference unless it's flat out broken.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looking for amp, had the jds labs atom amp. Even with gain, couldn't tell if there was any low end being produced unless knob turned up. I'm guessing it's a current issue ? Looking at the asgard 3 with DAC. One thing I don't like is having two separate amp/dac multiple plugs ect. Desktop and portable are being considered.
I also endorse the Atom. I use it to drive very low impedance and low sensitivity DCA headphones (i.e. current-hungry headphones) and it has power to spare. The Atom is not your problem.

The Topping DX3 Pro is a popular and affordable desktop dac/amp with good power, good features and great specs, since you mentioned possibly switching to a single box vs. separates. A very nice Sabaj A20d was reviewed here on ASR recently and sounded very good as well but with more features at a higher cost.

For dongles to use mobile with a PC or cell, look at the Hidizs S9 Pro or the E1DA 9038s G3, which both deliver good power from a USB source including current for low impedance headphones, especially if you use 2.5 mm balanced cables which will then provide more power than SE cables. (The Hidisz has both 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm SE; the E!DA 9038s is balanced only.) If you're using a cell as a source and want to be able to EQ it from the cell, look at the Qudelix 5k, which also can be used with balanced cables. If you need portable battery power in a dac/amp (rather than using a PC USB connection or the cell phone's power), check out the ASR reviews section. Most of this is reviewed on ASR except the Hidizs S9 Pro that I use all the time, for which the current model has more power than the S9 version reviewed on ASR.

Last edited:

pk500

You're not going to find cleaner sound for the money than the Atom. It measures impeccably.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Schiit Heresy is a very powerful and small headphone amp. It comes in black with red paint and has considerably more power than the Atom AMP+ has.
magni-heresy-front-1920-NL(1).jpg

Have you tried pressing in on the cups to see if the problem is pads not sealing well? I have an Aeon Closed X, plenty of bass for jazz and rock...

Xii-Nyth

For Aeon Closed X which has the dip in 1-2k instead of 3k

Preamp: -5.5 dB
Filter: ON LS Fc 30 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 0.6559
Filter: ON PK Fc 153 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 143 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 290 Hz Gain -0.5 dB Q 2
Filter: ON HS 12 dB Fc 900 Hz Gain 10 dB
Filter: ON HS 12 dB Fc 1200 Hz Gain -10 dB
Filter: ON HS 12 dB Fc 1800 Hz Gain 3 dB
Filter: ON HS Fc 4000 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 1
Filter: ON HS 12 dB Fc 7000 Hz Gain 2 dB
Filter: ON LS 12 dB Fc 200 Hz Gain 2 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 40 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 1200 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 4500 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 12500 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 13000 Hz Gain -0.5 dB Q 5
Filter: ON PK Fc 16000 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 4
Filter: ON HS 12 dB Fc 19000 Hz Gain -3 dB
Filter: ON HS 12 dB Fc 21000 Hz Gain 3 dB
#

Phoney

Highly suggest using these on a speaker amp. Wow! I also use the RT with SP200 and A90 but this modded Emotiva ..... hmmmmm....

View attachment 262465

Yes, surely I need 1000000W to drive these to it's full potensial!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When one (momentarily) wants to reach impressive levels (cranking it up very loud) and never want to run into limits one needs 14V (120dB SPL)
This is 15W peaks (so about 2W average) at those moments.

An amplifier that is rated into 8ohm would have to be 25W and a 4ohm rated amp would have to be 50W.
Those that like to always do the sensible thing can certainly get by with a 2W (13 ohm) rated amp.
Those that never go beyond any sensible levels can get by with a 0.2W/16ohm rated amp.

Of course when listening levels do not exceed this 0.2W there is absolutely no difference in sound then when connected to say a 200W/4ohm amp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
When one (momentarily) wants to reach impressive levels (cranking it up very loud) and never want to run into limits one needs 14V (120dB SPL)
This is 15W peaks (so about 2W average) at those moments.
Below 100Hz where music is usually loudest, only 6.2W would be required to hit 120dB SPL Peak on the RT Closed.
At 425Hz where Amir calibrates his headphones and IEMs, the Amp would have to output 13.8W for 120dB.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Below 100Hz where music is usually loudest, only 6.2W would be required to hit 120dB SPL Peak on the RT Closed.
At 425Hz where Amir calibrates his headphones and IEMs, the Amp would have to output 13.8W for 120dB.
Are you guys listening at these elevated levels?
OUCH

Top Bottom