• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

Xenio

I didn't know that they were so different, but yeah let's stop about those other headphones

ToxicRisk

Hi,
Anyone can explain me the difference between the closed Aeon RT and the Aeon2 ?
I'm looking for a closed headphone for daily, I also have a hybrid amp (Little Dot MK3SE + Topping D90), do you think is great idea ?
I never had planar headphone, do you think is a good idea in closed configuration against a dynamic closed headphone ?
I also looking for a LCD-2 but open (a bit expensive than the DCA).

V.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Anyone can explain me the difference between the closed Aeon RT and the Aeon2 ?
I'm looking for a closed headphone for daily, I also have a hybrid amp (Little Dot MK3SE + Topping D90), do you think is great idea ?
I never had planar headphone, do you think is a good idea in closed configuration against a dynamic closed headphone ?
I also looking for a LCD-2 but open (a bit expensive than the DCA).

V.
per @oratory1990 https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

RT closed
1638475312891.png

Aeon 2 closed (he has also measured one with perforated pads) ( I assume you mean the 2 closed, not Open)

1638475483688.png

So there is a distinct difference in the 150 hz and 5k areas, the Aeon 2 fold up for carrying and cost quite a lot more. Im not sure the internal components and tech matter too much.

The Aeon 2 Noire have a different tuning to the normal 2 closed, closer to the target too.

You pays your money- you takes your choice!

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
I think the Aeon 2 has new, bigger, drivers than the Aeon RT. That could have it's influence on the THD.

ToxicRisk

Thanks for all the replies.
So, my Little Dot MK3SE is a hybrid amp but can't find the output impedance. Does the Aeon RT could be impedance issue with my amp ?

V.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for all the replies.
So, my Little Dot MK3SE is a hybrid amp but can't find the output impedance. Does the Aeon RT could be impedance issue with my amp ?

V.
A little dot will likely sound bad with a power hungry planar magnetic headphone..

Leiker535

I think he was referring to OTL little dots, as they are most common and will struggle to deliver current under low impedance loads. Yours is a hybrid amp that delivers 2.5W at 32ohm per the manufacturer (I think they mean 1.25W per channel), that is 300mA at 13ohm, 10x the current you'd need for 105 SPL.

This is of course all hypothetical and trusting the manufacturer. Search for owner's experiences with your amp using planar magnetics, that is the best way to be safe.

gauc93

So I'm taking a dive into this world and decided to pull the trigger on an Aeon 2 Noire. With all the feedback, seeing even Dan Clark in the forum, reading the stories about how great these are and the amazing support from DCA made it a no-brainer purchase. They should be arriving in 3-4 weeks.

I'm trying to prepare myself for it. Got a Lotoo Paw 6000, will this be enough to do them justice?

From the spec sheet it says 300mW @ 32 Ohms. As for line out I see these numbers below, with the max being +14.4 dBu (4 Vrms)

Screenshot_20211207-234127_Drive.jpg

If not, what other options are recommended (portable setup please!)

Not long ago I jumped on the Stax L300 and they sound AMAZING with some EQ. I'm hoping this will be even better and portable!

ririt

So I'm taking a dive into this world and decided to pull the trigger on an Aeon 2 Noire. With all the feedback, seeing even Dan Clark in the forum, reading the stories about how great these are and the amazing support from DCA made it a no-brainer purchase. They should be arriving in 3-4 weeks.

I'm trying to prepare myself for it. Got a Lotoo Paw 6000, will this be enough to do them justice?

From the spec sheet it says 300mW @ 32 Ohms. As for line out I see these numbers below, with the max being +14.4 dBu (4 Vrms)

View attachment 170886

Not long ago I jumped on the Stax L300 and they sound AMAZING with some EQ. I'm hoping this will be even better and portable!
Qudelix 5K will be a nice portable option! enough power if balanced output with powerful EQ capabilities.

benjamincraig1989

View attachment 170886

I have DCA Aeon 2 closed and a Fiio M11. I think the pairing is more than adequate. On peak gain, balanced, it produces 460 mW at 32 ohms. But honestly I feel it’s sufficiently loud and engaging at quite a bit less than peak.

It is a WONDERFUL portable headphone and great at my office being closed back. I rate them. For under a thousand, you can’t beat this value!

Hope this helps :)

Attachments

• 27E8C8DC-2E82-47A3-8E70-F67205E73784.png
    27E8C8DC-2E82-47A3-8E70-F67205E73784.png
    524.4 KB · Views: 81

RisingStar

Any one knows what is going on with @Dan Clark ? I ordered the headphones last week, and still its not yet shipped.
I tried to call\email them, but no answers.
anyone else as this issue?

ririt

Any one knows what is going on with @Dan Clark ? I ordered the headphones last week, and still its not yet shipped.
I was recently in touch with Susan Regan their sales manager. She was very responsive and perfectly managed my order.
it may be due to Christmas time…
send me a PM if you want her email adress

Firefly00

maybe Christmas? I never had an issue, they were great about communication. Have you checked the order status in your account?

Puffin

Has anyone tried the Sundara and Aeon RT? In the UK, so would have to import the RT from the US. Can get a Sundara for £270 (~$350), the RT would cost me £500 with VAT/import costs (~$665). I also found an offer on a used pair of Aeon 2 noirs for £740 (~$990) used.

Have only had a change to try the Sundaras and they sound great, but the bass is a bit muted for my preference. No where to try the Dan Clark headphones so would have to buy blind. Also, is there anything in the price range I might be overlooking (esp. something I don't have to import)?

Sorry, know this is a review thread but not sure where to ask.

RHO

Major Contributor
I have both.
I like both. ... a lot!
It depends on how you want to use them. The Aeon RT closed is a very nice closed back headphone that isolated very well (no sound coming is, no sound going out). The Sundara is exactly the opposite. It is very open. Isolation is almost absent.
And yes, the sub-bass extension is substantially better on the Aeon RT (I have said otherwise in the past, I have recently tested with real sub-bass heavy tracks and have revised my conclusions) than on the Sundara.
Personally I don't think it is bad on the Sundara, but if you really like that deep sub-bass rumble, the Aeon RT is better.
I like the mids a bit better on the Sundara and maybe also the lower treble.
Build quality on both is good but on the DCA it is still better than on the Hifiman. Those DCA headphones are sweet!
It's easier (cheaper) to find matching cables for the Sundara. (if you want longer or balanced cables)

King3567

So right now I have my 10 year old recently manufacturer refurbished hd600 phones which I love, and my sr225. I have an atom stack and a woo audio wa6 (otl tube amp). I also have Sony wh4000xm or whatever, mostly for taking to the office or having conference calls.

I’m looking for something to round out my inventory. What I need is something with some soundstage. I also consider it a prerequisite that it conforms well enough with harman curve. These headphones really appeal to me as they are closed, tonally accurate and have a nice price. And look good. Would they be different enough from my hd600 in terms of spatial capability or imaging? Hd600 always has been lacking in that area. I know headphones won’t feel like speakers spatially, but hd600 definitely feels like you have headphones on - just want something that does a bit better making the illusion for me.

Also I assume the atom amp would work, but how would this play with an otl tube amp? I think poorly.

Veri

Master Contributor
Would they be different enough from my hd600 in terms of spatial capability or imaging? Hd600 always has been lacking in that area. I know headphones won’t feel like speakers spatially, but hd600 definitely feels like you have headphones on - just want something that does a bit better making the illusion for me.

Also I assume the atom amp would work, but how would this play with an otl tube amp? I think poorly.
-Well, these are closed headphones. They have impressive imaging and wideness for closed-backs, but HD600 are still open so tough competition. So no they won't be worlds apart
-Poorly. Planar and OTL likely sounds distorted/bad but you could try it out..

Last edited:
Top Bottom