• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

MrDogg

Would there be a reason I don't like the way planars retrieve music? Ive had more then a few including currently owning the DC aeon rts and just take them off after about 5 minutes and reaching for a dynamic driver headphone. Ps once I hit my 30 posts I'll be listing them for sale

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would there be a reason I don't like the way planars retrieve music? Ive had more then a few including currently owning the DC aeon rts and just take them off after about 5 minutes and reaching for a dynamic driver headphone. Ps once I hit my 30 posts I'll be listing them for sale
I have the same reaction to Klipsch loudspeakers. It's not just the tonal balance but the forward presentation (doesn't come through in measurments folks!) where the sound is on your face I can't stand. I could see how the planar's ability to throw all the sound at once isn't for everyone. Some things don't come out in measurements. Speed, the ability to handle complex musical passages as easily as it does a simple monotone test signal. ZMF headphones are probably more your cup of tea.

MrDogg

Funny you should say that! I had a pair of zmf Autuers for quite a while and recently mover over the focal Stellia

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Funny you should say that! I had a pair of zmf Autuers for quite a while and recently mover over the focal Stellia
Really? And you prefer the Stellia? I haven't heard it but from what I heard from Focal speakers I would have expected the reverse.

MrDogg

Think your preference changes a bit over time and that relaxed tuning on the Autuers that drew me in came and went and I had a kid so closed backs became more practical lol

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Think your preference changes a bit over time and that relaxed tuning on the Autuers that drew me in came and went and I had a kid so closed backs became more practical lol
I went in the opposite direction, and at night my house is lit by tubes and lava lamps.

pwjazz

Forum Donor
This could completely be placebo, but on my Qudelix, even balanced, the Aeon RT sounds liud enough, but gets a little harsh after a while of listening. On my Atom, I don't have that problem.

Regarding EQ, I've been enjoying the below in combination with the foam inserts. Compared to @amirm 's recommendation, this moves the upper midrange peak to 2500Hz, has a little less mid bass bump, and more selectively addresses what I hear as peaks in the treble instead of shelving down the whole thing.

I used to own an Audeze LCD2C which i thought of as a good platform for EQ. I spent ages EQing it, but I could never get the upper midrange to sound totally right. The Aeon has been much easier to EQ and is a planar that in likely to keep for far longer. And I continue to be amazed by how "open" and not wonky the Aeon closed sounds.

1623259572646.png

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Any suggestions for cables for the RT? I have a Loxije A30 that sports a 6.35mm headphone jack, but that's not on offer on the Dan Clark website.

RHO

Major Contributor
Aren‘t the options 4pin XLR or 6.3(5)mm (1/4“)?
Yes, the standard drummer cable comes with a 3,5mm jack with 6.3mm screw-on adapter.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Just wanted to feed back: purchased the AEON RT (closed) on recommendation from @amirm 's review and something happened that hasn't happened to me for a long time: I gasped in surprise the first time I listened to them. It might be that this album
is particularly well recorded, but man, they are amazing. And comfy!

Pretty much haven't removed them since I got them.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone compared this to the Ether Open Flow or the Ether 2?
I found the Ether 2 to be anemic and rolled off (highs), even though everybody raved about them. Wondering if these are different.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wanted to feed back: purchased the AEON RT (closed) on recommendation from @amirm 's review and something happened that hasn't happened to me for a long time: I gasped in surprise the first time I listened to them. It might be that this album
is particularly well recorded, but man, they are amazing. And comfy!

Pretty much haven't removed them since I got them.
If you haven't already done so, then explore some EQ of your headphones. Try some Oratory1990 Harman EQ presets and/or try Amir's recommended EQ settings. Either one of them or both (not at the same time, lol!) may improve your experience even further.

AVKS

Bought these a few weeks ago and, after settling in with the black felt pads, just really enjoy listening to them. They're not the most dynamic but I don't find them to be all that far off of the Elegia in that regard and the sound is just so effortless overall; I really find them mose similar than not to the Elegia, and give them the nod for comfort and durability. They sound great flat but even better with a bit of EQ like Amir describes here.

Rap, rock, pop, classical, doesn't matter - I'm enjoying it all. Excellent addition to the headphone stable, with these for isolated clarity, LCD-2 closed for bassy goodness, HE-500 for mid-tastic rocking out, and HE6se V2 for quieter, more detailed listening.

RHO

Major Contributor

jae

Major Contributor
Are there CSD plots for any of Amir's headphone reviews with the GRAS fixture? Or did I miss anything? Would be interesting to see a control plot as well.

Top Bottom