• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

RHO

Major Contributor
You'd do good to use them from the A50s 4.4mm balanced output. They can use the power.
Yes, that is the plan. I ordered the connectors with them so I can DIY some nice cables for them.:)

Veri

Master Contributor
Yes, that is the plan. I ordered the connectors with them so I can DIY some nice cables for them.:)
Then that should work fine ;) chip-based amps like the A50s tend to perform better with these kinds of extreme low impedance loads right up to clipping point, compared to non chip-based, discrete ones the kind Schiit offers (magni 3+, asgard etc).

bboris77

I just noticed how low the impedance on these is. :eek: Would this be an issue with most amps? I've got these and an A50s on the way: good match?

Without copying and pasting from a recent thread where I asked the same question, here are my findings on this:

I am running the Aeons RT Closed with my JDS Labs El Amp II (1.3W at 32 Ohm). I do not even need to go to high gain to get to extreme volumes. When my volume pot is maxed out in low gain mode, these headphones are already too loud. Since low gain mode in the El Amp is 1.0x, this means it is effectively outputting 2V in 13 Ohms, for a maximum of 154mA, 307mW.

Therefore, I am fairly certain that the A50s should power the Aeons with no difficulty even in SE mode.

Veri

Master Contributor

RHO

Major Contributor
Thanks @Veri and @bboris77 for easing my mind.
I panicked a little bit because these are by for the most expensive HPs I've ever got.
But I'm assured now that my amps can drive these cans fine. :)

bboris77

Only catch here if you run an equaliser profile, the one in this thread, or for example
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbs8m0x6qcvnuhv/Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed RT.pdf?dl=0

you'll probably need high gain. But you could be right that SE - high gain suffices.
I am not sure what the current limit is on the A50s SE mode for low impedance headphones (8-16 Ohms), but it must be way over what the Aeons require. @JohnYang1997 would be able to confirm the exact figure unless it is considered proprietary info.

I know that a lot of manufacturers do not publish the power figures for low impedance modes because they don't want to encourage people to try running their high sensitivity speakers with headphone amplifiers and risk overheating them. Also, the THD performance tends to degrade very slightly when running sub 32-Ohm headphones.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I am not sure what the current limit is on the A50s SE mode for low impedance headphones (8-16 Ohms), but it must be way over what the Aeons require. @JohnYang1997 would be able to confirm the exact figure unless it is considered proprietary info.

I know that a lot of manufacturers do not publish the power figures for low impedance modes because they don't want to encourage people to try running their high sensitivity speakers with headphone amplifiers and risk overheating them. Also, the THD performance tends to degrade very slightly when running sub 32-Ohm headphones.
16ohm power is in the spec.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Unless I am blind (could be, it's still early morning here in Canada), the only thing I can see is 32 Ohm for the A50s. The L30 and the A30 Pro have 16 Ohm specs.
Oh well. I thought so. Basically the power supply limits the current. Assume the same current of 32ohm you get half of the power for 16Ohm. Although in reality you can get more. Iirc it's 4W for 16Ohm when BAL. For SE I believe it's about 2.7W. The 16Ohm spec didn't make it to the manual for some reason. We don't encourage people to run headphones less than 8ohms SE, less than 16Ohm BAL.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You'd do good to use them from the A50s 4.4mm balanced output. They can use the power.
With the Jot 2 I like the balanced but some might prefer the 1/4". I couldn't pick out the difference but IIRC it's warmer through the phone jack.

AudioManNewb

Not really gellin with the Aeon Closed RT for all those following the thread that have yet to try it I am selling my barely used Aeon bought brand new at 4/5/2021. Would like $420 that is shipping and paypal fees included. Send me a DM.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Not really gellin with the Aeon Closed RT for all those following the thread that have yet to try it I am selling my barely used Aeon bought brand new at 4/5/2021. Would like $420 that is shipping and paypal fees included. Send me a DM.
Just ordered a pair, otherwise I would've been all over this.

Curious- What did you not care for?

bboris77

I am curious too. I am very pleased with mine. I genuinely think that they are the ideal pair of closed planars especially at the price - very light and comfortable with excellent sub-bass and soundstage. The only headphones that I prefer to them for music listening are my HD800s because of their insane soundstage. I actually prefer the Aeons for gaming - positioning is very precise and that planar sub-bass gives them a subwoofer-like oomph.

RHO

Major Contributor

I'm in the same situation. Mine will arrive on Thursday.
Also curious about what you didn't like about them.

AudioManNewb

Just not a fan of the sound signature tried the EQ Amir's and Oratory1990. I just prefer a more V shaped tuning. The headphones from a technical standpoint are great and the build quailty is what I would except from a $500 headphone. Clamp is ample to not squeeze nor be to loose nice depth to the earpads. The planar bass is there that kind that reaches deep. I guess I prefer the punchy impact of dynamic drivers which would make sense I used to play electric guitar had a tube amp and some eminence speakers great knock offs of the celestion speakers that most bands spanning many if not all genres use. There is just something in dynamic designed headphones that remind me of playing music.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
Just not a fan of the sound signature tried the EQ Amir's and Oratory1990. I just prefer a more V shaped tuning. The headphones from a technical standpoint are great and the build quailty is what I would except from a $500 headphone. Clamp is ample to not squeeze nor be to loose nice depth to the earpads. The planar bass is there that kind that reaches deep. I guess I prefer the punchy impact of dynamic drivers which would make sense I used to play electric guitar had a tube amp and some eminence speakers great knock offs of the celestion speakers that most bands spanning many if not all genres use. There is just something in dynamic designed headphones that remind me of playing music.

Thanks for sharing. I've seen a couple of reviews now that mention the lack of punch, or macro dynamics, from the Aeon 2/Noire, so it's interesting you feel the same from the RT.

I'm also a lifelong musician (and use a solid state amp with two celestion 10's) and the RT's will be my first pair of planar's. Have been using Senn HD 280 pro's with brainwavz pads for years.

Curious if the RT's are returnable if they don't satisfy my ear? (although I've seen it discussed there is a known break-in period with these)

3kweave

My understanding is that DCA has a 15 day return policy. I have the A2C and HD6xx. I got the Aeons based of Amir's review. I really enjoy music with a lot of bass and I wanted a closed back so I wouldn't be constantly bothering my wife. I prefer the Aeon's compared to the HD6's. If it means anything to you, I don't think the HD6xx or the Aeon's have a lot of "slam" or "macro dynamics." It doesn't sound like my 13' SVS sub or my Burmester system in my car. I do think the Aeon's can reproduce the bass in music very faithfully. The Aeon's really need a decent amplifier. They don't sound good plugged straight into my phone or computer. I listen to them on the RME with EQ. I think as long as you have a good amplifier (JDS labs, L30, A30pro, THX ect) you will be very happy with the sound quality. But the seal of the headphones and your head size likely make people appreciate how the phone sounds differently.

Lttlwing16

Forum Donor
My understanding is that DCA has a 15 day return policy. I have the A2C and HD6xx. I got the Aeons based of Amir's review. I really enjoy music with a lot of bass and I wanted a closed back so I wouldn't be constantly bothering my wife. I prefer the Aeon's compared to the HD6's. If it means anything to you, I don't think the HD6xx or the Aeon's have a lot of "slam" or "macro dynamics." It doesn't sound like my 13' SVS sub or my Burmester system in my car. I do think the Aeon's can reproduce the bass in music very faithfully. The Aeon's really need a decent amplifier. They don't sound good plugged straight into my phone or computer. I listen to them on the RME with EQ. I think as long as you have a good amplifier (JDS labs, L30, A30pro, THX ect) you will be very happy with the sound quality. But the seal of the headphones and your head size likely make people appreciate how the phone sounds differently.

Thanks for that. I was strongly considering the HD6xx but didn't like the sub-bass roll off. I'll be listening to a fair bit of vinyl so I need something that's as close to Harman without EQ. In regards to amplification I picked up a THX 789 to run balanced to the RT's.

3kweave

The thx 789 balanced will run it very well. I've owned HD600s and HD6xx. I really like the senn 600 series. I've had the 600s for about 15 years. I like bass and I find the bass a little lacking without EQ. I think the HD6 are very comfortable but I find the Aeons more comfortable. I think the Aeons are the superior headphone (and they should be given the price.)

Top Bottom