• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

semektet

Thanks for the review, at last one deserved the praise. Does Topping A50s capable of driving these? I presume so :)

I was about to raise the same question, which as far as I could see is not answered. @amirm would you recommend Topping A50s to drive these cans? many thanks

RHO

Major Contributor
I was about to raise the same question, which as far as I could see is not answered. @amirm would you recommend Topping A50s to drive these cans? many thanks
I get from the review that 14mW would be enough to hit 94dB. (0.677²/32=0.0143)
So for 114db you would need about 1.4W@32Ohm

Bernd

Forum Donor
May I ask how much it cost total (taxes, import duties, shipping, etc)? I am in Spain and I'm considering these vs the regular Aeons at a local reseller (1€ shy of a thousand). Thanks!
Well in my case getting the AEOn RT was 500 $ for the cans + 40 $ for FedEX shipping + 80€ customs + 30 € Customs processing cost by FedEX. That is a lot but again, I do not regret ist - the AEON RT is really very good.

Quomz

Well in my case getting the AEOn RT was 500 $ for the cans + 40 $ for FedEX shipping + 80€ customs + 30 € Customs processing cost by FedEX. That is a lot but again, I do not regret ist - the AEON RT is really very good.
So about 560€ in total? That‘s not too bad including international shipping and importing fees.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume the LS and HS are slope in db option vs the Q as slope?

Not sure I understand that question. Should be able to plug the gain and the Q into the HS and LS filters

AudioManNewb

Not sure I understand that question. Should be able to plug the gain and the Q into the HS and LS filters
Ok I see there is 3 options one called low shelf, low shelf(slope in db) and low shelf (Q as slope). Which do I choose using Equalizer APO with peace?

*edit corrected spelling

Last edited:

AudioManNewb

In amirs EQ of these headphones he uses a Low Shelf and a High Shelf. I have a choice of plain shelf, Slope in Db, or Q as slope. Which one do I choose? To unlock the Q factor it either has to be Slope in Db, or Q as slope. But the Q factor is 1 so it may not need my input.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How is the sound stage on these, do they sound fairly open for being a closed back or is it a more intimate sound?

Windigo

I just recieved my pair yesterday and I am very impressed. It is of course too early to give an in-depth review but the sound is just engaging and clear throughout the whole range when using these with no filter. Details are astonishing I can hear more of the subtle nuances and small background noises with these than most IEMs. I don't really find that these need EQ but Amirs setting improve them slightly. The only area where they fall a little short of my Verum 1 is soundstage, but the verums are rather wide sounding open backs so that is expected and the difference is much smaller than I expected. I find the dynamics quite impressive as well.
Power wise, my Topping DX3 Pro V1 was pushing them just fine in low gain at -20dB (until it didn't and broke down on me after 10 minutes of listening to the aeons, after two years of flawless operation. Aw well, L30 + E30 ordered). The BTR5 pushes them rather well too, using -3dB beacuse of EQ on the source, high gain single ended and about 30-40/60 on the volume.
These are going to be my daily drivers both at home and at the office. Comfort is superb (even with my enormous head) and my girlfriend says she can't hear anything at all from about a meter away when I am listening at relatively loud volume.

Last edited:

paranoidbunny

Well, so after I've received the recommendation for the Dan Clak Aeon RT, I would like to give my first impressions. Comparing against the 2019 Hifiman Sundara, Beyerdynamic MMX300 and the Philip Fidelio X2HR I feel like it truly is the perfect combination of the strengths of the before mentioned. The MMX300 in my opinion is very well balanced all around, but detail, clairty and especially tremble is not on par with the Aeon RT. Soundstage and overall Detail might just be a little behind the Sundara, but not by much - actually it is hard to compare, because I was missing the bass and sub bass sections so much on the Sundara, that I cannot judge transparency of layers, because it would be unfair, obviously the Sundara delivered almos two whole less layers. Having that said, I'm happy with separation and transparcency. Listening to "Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart - Live at Metropolis" by Alicia Keys it is quite amazing how the pumping bass doesn't disturb any of the cymbals or layers of lead/background singing. Responsiveness and Accuracy are just amazing. Main Difference to the X2HR on first glance, besides overall quality of detail, feels like that the Aeon RT does punch when the source requires it, but not all the time, like the Fidelio. Listening to some Live-Recordings of Esbjörn Svensson Trio I can really appreciate every singe note that Dan picks on the bass, all the dynamics are there. I'm 32 now, but what would I give, just to sit there one more time in 2008, listinging to E.S.T. live... man, it's just a headphone, but it totally brings back and revives that moment.
Interestingly I prefer the stock settings over Amir's EQ profile for the first time ever with the Aeon RT.
Man this is amazing... I'm hearing whole new things, like for real. I'm even spotting little mistakes in Live-Recordings now. When listening to guitars, for the first time actually and that might sound weird, but I can feel, not just imagine, how it feels for the guitar player to touch the fretboard... quite amazing, it's so much information, so immersive and it just doesn't get muddy. I'm listening to "Building the Churk" by Steve Vai and find it absolutely stunning, how the guitar just swims in the middle of the mix, instead of covering the carpet of rythm instruments up top.
Only thing that I really don't like for now, is how "well" sound is being transferred through the headphone, when something touches it from the outside, like clothing or wires. Interestingly also, for closed backs, they don't block a great amount of ouside noise, which I don't really mind for now, just a bit supprising thb.
After all, I cannot thank you guys enough for that recommendation.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, so after I've received the recommendation for the Dan Clak Aeon RT, I would like to give my first impressions. Comparing against the 2019 Hifiman Sundara, Beyerdynamic MMX300 and the Philip Fidelio X2HR I feel like it truly is the perfect combination of the strengths of the before mentioned. The MMX300 in my opinion is very well balanced all around, but detail, clairty and especially tremble is not on par with the Aeon RT. Soundstage and overall Detail might just be a little behind the Sundara, but not by much - actually it is hard to compare, because I was missing the bass and sub bass sections so much on the Sundara, that I cannot judge transparency of layers, because it would be unfair, obviously the Sundara delivered almos two whole less layers. Having that said, I'm happy with separation and transparcency. Listening to "Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart - Live at Metropolis" by Alicia Keys it is quite amazing how the pumping bass doesn't disturb any of the cymbals or layers of lead/background singing. Responsiveness and Accuracy are just amazing. Main Difference to the X2HR on first glance, besides overall quality of detail, feels like that the Aeon RT does punch when the source requires it, but not all the time, like the Fidelio. Listening to some Live-Recordings of Esbjörn Svensson Trio I can really appreciate every singe note that Dan picks on the bass, all the dynamics are there. I'm 32 now, but what would I give, just to sit there one more time in 2008, listinging to E.S.T. live... man, it's just a headphone, but it totally brings back and revives that moment.
Interestingly I prefer the stock settings over Amir's EQ profile for the first time ever with the Aeon RT.
Man this is amazing... I'm hearing whole new things, like for real. I'm even spotting little mistakes in Live-Recordings now. When listening to guitars, for the first time actually and that might sound weird, but I can feel, not just imagine, how it feels for the guitar player to touch the fretboard... quite amazing, it's so much information, so immersive and it just doesn't get muddy. I'm listening to "Building the Churk" by Steve Vai and find it absolutely stunning, how the guitar just swims in the middle of the mix, instead of covering the carpet of rythm instruments up top.
Only thing that I really don't like for now, is how "well" sound is being transferred through the headphone, when something touches it from the outside, like clothing or wires. Interestingly also, for closed backs, they don't block a great amount of ouside noise, which I don't really mind for now, just a bit supprising thb.
You're welcome, glad you liked my recommendation for you!

I'm quite surprised you prefer the headphone at stock rather than Amir's EQ, because it deviates quite a lot from the Harman Curve in the mids/treble as you can see in Oratory's measurement, as well as Amir's measurement, following is a link to Oratory's measurement and EQ, it might be worth a try using Oratory's EQ:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbs8m0x6qcvnuhv/Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed RT.pdf?dl=0
(But it could be you don't particularly like the Harman Headphone Curve, which is fine. Due to people's different ear & head anatomies it can mean that the Harman Curve is not preferred for some people.)
I'm glad you're enjoying the headphone though, and it wasn't an empty recommendation!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

How on earth did you get them so quickly? Werent you only recommended them on Saturday? Did you charter a plane? :oops:

Top Bottom