• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Grrrrr!
These are almost what I want closed back, killer distortion, sweet response, cool look.... cept I need some that measure and sound like these but with the ability to be driven by my LG phone. (I know, but I only use headphones while mobile and ain't adding extra electronics)
Guess for now I gotta keep plugging along with my AKG NC700's and AKG 553's, both are okay enough until the stars align.

Great review thanks!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I think it's still a good idea to push headphones manufacturers to make well tuned headphones out of the box. And I don't think this one is one of them. The price is okay. I personally will take Ananda and hd650 over this. But with EQ this one is certainly very capable especially in the bass.
Would love to see how you see oppo pm3 and shure srh840.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I haven't listened to the RT but owned and enjoyed the closed Aeon and the closed Aeon2. Just got the perforated pads for the Aeon2. I can send them if you want to measure. I modified mine to take 3.5mm in each cup so they are compatible with the vast majority of cables I already had and make it much nicer to travel with due to less bulk.

I've known how good Dan Clark is but it really was apparent when looking inside these things and how they are designed and assembled. You never get this level of craftsmanship from someone without passion for the hobby. My only complaint is that it didn't take long for the paint to flake off of my headband in a couple of spots near the hinge due to me setting them down on my nightstand.

m8o

Forum Donor
Anyone, what does the RT stand for?

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Anyone, what does the RT stand for?
ÆON RT (Re-Tuned)

From what I understand it's an Aeon flow closed that has been re-tuned.

"ÆON RT (Re-Tuned) delivers a vibrant new take on our award-winning and critically acclaimed ÆON Flow. ÆON RT embodies everything you loved about the classic ÆON Flow - its tough, yet ultra-light, all-metal headband and baffle, and incredibly comfortable ergonomic design - but with a significant sonic upgrade. While ÆON RT Closed has had its bass presence boosted and its tone adjusted to be smoother and better-balanced (basically, a more playful vibe), ÆON RT Open lightens up the midrange and expands the soundstage for a more immersive experience. "

garbulky

Major Contributor
Oh, forgot to say that these are my everyday headphones. :)
Sounds like you love them!
Newbie question - would a regular style amp drive it or does this kind of headphone require specialized amps? I have the Emotiva Bas-X A-100 which is a headphone/speaker amp. It is able to output high current at low impedances.
Also can you compare the subjective impressions to the HD800S? Does it feel as clean or as layered or spacious?

Reactions: buz

MKreroo

Now I'm interested in the Aeon 2, hope it's not too far off, really like the folding mechanism as it's quite a rare sight on "high" ends

Jacona

One of the main criticism I see on reddit and other forums about Dan Clark headphone is that while they are tonally great they are somewhat lacking in dynamics/impact/slam. Did you get any feeling of that on this headphone?

This complaint is mainly targeted at the older ether/aeon though so might not be applicable anymore.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One of the main criticism I see on reddit and other forums about Dan Clark headphone is that while they are tonally great they are somewhat lacking in dynamics/impact/slam.
That is likely caused by anemic headphone amp driving it. With a powerful amp, I have no concerns at all in that regard.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Newbie question - would a regular style amp drive it or does this kind of headphone require specialized amps? I have the Emotiva Bas-X A-100 which is a headphone/speaker amp. It is able to output high current at low impedances.
I have one of those finally to test. But from what I know, it should have plenty of power to drive it.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I have one of those finally to test. But from what I know, it should have plenty of power to drive it.
Oh good. Just so you know it has a direct drive mode that greatly increases the power output and supposedly reduces the output impedance. It requires an internal jumper to be installed. The drawback is that it also significantly increases hiss.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder if there is another way to rank headphones in a list similar to your SINAD list. Maybe a dB before 1%THD? Then maybe for tuning you could have deviation in decibels from the harman target for sub bass, bass, mids, and highs. Hmm. Just a thought that's been rattling around in my head.

YSC

Major Contributor
It's open back, not closed, so different measurements, probably better soundstage and leaks a lot of sound on the outside room.
I kind of prefer open back headphones to closed, it usually gives more linear bass response and the sense of openess is great to not care too much about the soundstage

bobbooo

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm How do these compare to your Ether CX? Have you reviewed that one yet?
I have not listened to the CX for months other than headphone amp testing. I will formally evaluate it and write up a review.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder if there is another way to rank headphones in a list similar to your SINAD list. Maybe a dB before 1%THD? Then maybe for tuning you could have deviation in decibels from the harman target for sub bass, bass, mids, and highs. Hmm. Just a thought that's been rattling around in my head.
You are on the right track. Let's gather some more data and then we better understand the range here. I think the picture is clearing here.

Top Bottom