• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Closed, Aeon 2 Noire and Stealth

Pandemonium

What am I misunderstanding here? I don't get this listing.

Attachments

• Screenshot (16).png
    Screenshot (16).png
    331.4 KB · Views: 26

Pandemonium

Not that I think that adherence to the curve is the only measure of quality. I just don't think this list is correct in the first place.

Attachments

• Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    351.4 KB · Views: 14

Pandemonium

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The XCs have a score of 89 but the Stealths have a score of 86?

Attachments

• Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    369.4 KB · Views: 14

staticV3

Major Contributor
@Pandemonium That's the pre-2021 LCD-XC in your graph, which scored 78.
The 2021 revision scored 89 on oratory's 45BC, Crinacle has yet to measure it.

Also, don't sweat two preference points.

Pandemonium

@Pandemonium That's the pre-2021 LCD-XC in your graph, which scored 78.
The 2021 revision scored 89 on oratory's 45BC, Crinacle has yet to measure it.

Also, don't sweat two preference points.
I didn't realize that the Carbon Fiber XC had a radically different tuning than the Wood XC.
However, this list still doesn't make any sense.

Perhaps he is ranking according to the 2013 Harman curve instead of the 2018 Harman curve? I'm not sure why he would do that.

Pandemonium

I'm concerned because the OP made it seem like Amir's measurements conflicted with Crinacle's and Oratory's and they do not.

staticV3

Major Contributor
@Pandemonium you mean Crinacle's Headphone Ranking list?
That's not ranked by any target.
The headphones on his list are ranked by what Crinacle thinks is objectively the best sounding.
Or do you mean this list?

Pandemonium

@Pandemonium you mean Crinacle's Headphone Ranking list?
That's not ranked by any target.
The headphones on his list are ranked by what Crinacle thinks is objectively the best sounding.
Or do you mean this list?
Yes. I am referring to the latter list.

Also, the OP said "Assuming I've interpreted this list correctly, Amir highly rates the Stealth largely to their adherence to the Harman curve but according to this list they don't conform as tightly to the curve as many others. The Aeon 2 closed and Noire both do far better as do the Beyer DT 990's. The Grado Hemps are just a smidgeon behind, the Sundaras and most of the Hifi man headphones are way ahead."

Which is incorrect?

staticV3

Major Contributor
Which is incorrect?
Use the AutoEQ ranking as a rough guideline or list of headphones that target Harman.
Actually look at the frequency response graphs to decide whether headphone A or headphone B adheres more closely to a given target.

Pandemonium

Use the AutoEQ ranking as a rough guideline or list of headphones that target Harman.
Actually look at the frequency response graphs to decide whether headphone A or headphone B adheres more closely to a given target.
I think we may have had a misunderstanding between us. I'm not confused, the DCA Stealths are the closest measuring headphones to the 2018 Harman Target.

The OP was confused why this list by jaakkopasanen lists other headphones as actually being closer to the target than the Stealths.

Pandemonium

But I'm taking up far too much space on this thread so I'll stop here and say that this list by jaakkopasanen is not ranking headphones according to the 2018 Harman curve like how OP thought it was.

Top Bottom