• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark aeon noire?

Kalupaw2

Hey guys,

Has anyone used the Dan Clark aeon noire?

Currently I have a sennheiswr 660s paired with topping a30pro and d10.

I’m looking for a headphone that is contrasting to the 660s to mix things up.

My music preference is quite mixed. Although I do enjoy dark bassy techno and similar genres. Also music similar to Jon Hopkins is great as well.

Would the Dan Clark aeon noire be a suitable match for what I’m after?

Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys,

My music preference is quite mixed. Although I do enjoy dark bassy techno and similar genres. Also music similar to Jon Hopkins is great as well.

Thanks!

graph.png
graph.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Bu I think there’s a bit more at play than just frequency response. For example, it’s a closed back… Do you have any experience with this specific headphone? As I have an open back right now, I wonder how it would compare to a closed back.

I have Ether CX and Aeon RT Open, not the Noire . The bulk (many would say all) of the differences will be in the FR- it will be bassier than the 660s- good clean bass too. The closed back design plays out in the FR- its of more relevance to the person sat next to you after that.

If you do/ can EQ, try increasing the low end on the 660s and see how you like that, maybe with a dip 3 o4 4 db dip at 4k too.

OP
K

Kalupaw2

I have Ether CX and Aeon RT Open, not the Noire . The bulk (many would say all) of the differences will be in the FR- it will be bassier than the 660s- good clean bass too. The closed back design plays out in the FR- its of more relevance to the person sat next to you after that.

If you do/ can EQ, try increasing the low end on the 660s and see how you like that, maybe with a dip 3 o4 4 db dip at 4k too.
Ok cool, so you would say the closed back doesn’t make too much of a difference? I’ve only listened to closed backs with poor quality so I don’t have a good reference point.

I’m using oratory eq on my 660s which does make a huge difference:)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok cool, so you would say the closed back doesn’t make too much of a difference? I’ve only listened to closed backs with poor quality so I don’t have a good reference point.

I’m using oratory eq on my 660s which does make a huge difference:)
Closed back makes a difference - of course. But that difference plays out in the FR- it makes it easier to get higher low end.

Without EQ the Noire would be a better choice for listeners that like stronger bass. But if you EQ both to Oratory's EQ settings , those differences will be far smaller as they will be EQd to the same target. I'm not saying they will perform or sound the same, but you will be laying out large $$$ for not huge sonic differences.

EDIT- I say this as a person that owns far too many headphones of all types. But if it were me , I would look at the Aeon RT closed from DCA direct or , if you can buy from Drop, the Aeon Closed X (very similar headphones) and EQ those instead. Far cheaper and physically similar build . Having some good open dynamics like the Senns and some good planars (like any of the DCA) is not a bad thing.

OP
K

Kalupaw2

Closed back makes a difference - of course. But that difference plays out in the FR- it makes it easier to get higher low end.

Without EQ the Noire would be a better choice for listeners that like stronger bass. But if you EQ both to Oratory's EQ settings , those differences will be far smaller as they will be EQd to the same target. I'm not saying they will perform or sound the same, but you will be laying out large $$$ for not huge sonic differences.
Interesting.

Tbh high end headphones baffle me. If you can get very very close to the same sound with eq on a $400 headphone, then why lay out $2000 on a headphone.

I understand diminishing returns.. but it seems like there should be some benefit to dropping a couple grand on a set of cans.

I guess a benefit of some higher end headphones like the 800s / ananda would be a uniquely massive sound? Basically any benefit that can’t be corrected with eq.

It makes me want to buy an ananda for that purpose even though it has frequency flaws, because then I can just eq out the problems.

usern

I had Aeon Noire headphones a while ago, but I couldn't find Harman target EQ presets that made me like the sound. The presets I tried didn't get rid of somewhat bright sound. At that time I liked Harman target 560S more. At the moment I have 660S too and these are pretty damn good with Harman target EQ. But for bassier music like techno or dubstep I like 560S more (with even more boosted bass through EQ).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting.

Tbh high end headphones baffle me. If you can get very very close to the same sound with eq on a $400 headphone, then why lay out $2000 on a headphone.

I understand diminishing returns.. but it seems like there should be some benefit to dropping a couple grand on a set of cans.

I guess a benefit of some higher end headphones like the 800s / ananda would be a uniquely massive sound? Basically any benefit that can’t be corrected with eq.

It makes me want to buy an ananda for that purpose even though it has frequency flaws, because then I can just eq out the problems.
The problem with hifi in general right there. Id love to try the Stealth. They may be the best I've heard (they may not be either) Are they worth 4x more than the noire eq'd a bit? Are they worth 8 x more than the Aeon RT with eq?

Probably not, but I bet not many folk who've done exactly that would say there is zero benefit to having the Stealth .

And I bet no one who has the sennheiser 800 /800S would say any of the DCA are comparable to them either.

If you've got the cash, there is no harm in trying for yourself. Just don't expect miracles.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had Aeon Noire headphones a while ago, but I couldn't find Harman target EQ presets that made me like the sound. The presets I tried didn't get rid of somewhat bright sound. At that time I liked Harman target 560S more. At the moment I have 660S too and these are pretty damn good with Harman target EQ. But for bassier music like techno or dubstep I like 560S more (with even more boosted bass through EQ).
What I will say from my experience with DCA is that they are an easy listen. Which is why some define them as quite dull. Don't be afraid to slowly crank them and settle down and let them lure you. Don't be expecting cheap thrills.

frix

I had the noires. And I like all kind of electronic music. Also bassy techno. The noires are not able to deliver a satisfying slam to the bass no matter how I eq'ed them. Wouldn't recommend them for your taste in music.

Firefly00

Hey guys,

Thanks!
I have the Aeon RT Closed, it has fantastic bass extension, generally a very easy listen but still has a lot of detail, and of course, basically no distortion. I gather that all of DCA’a range is like this

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I had the noires. And I like all kind of electronic music. Also bassy techno. The noires are not able to deliver a satisfying slam to the bass no matter how I eq'ed them. Wouldn't recommend them for your taste in music.
I have the Aeon noire and the focal Elegia.
With EQ the Elegia are better for bassy techno music.
But for everything else I prefer the Noire.

For me the Noire are just about perfect for the price. The pads are good enough. The balanced cable that came with them is alright as well. I don't need to EQ for them to sound good. And the pad insert things that came with them are fun to play around with to change the sound a bit.

But I like the relaxed sound of wharfedale loudspeakers.. and I mainly listen to oldschool rock and jazzy music.

Great Headphones ...and portable .

The Ether CX or the Audeze closed XC 2021 are probably better sounding for more types of music but they are more bulky and expensive.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I'm trying to decide between these two, will be slightly used, so no chance to audition beforehand. Musical taste is Rock, blues, EDM, general pop, some opera. I'm not a basshead, but I like to hear sub-bass. I'm not treble sensitive, at my age it rolls off >13kHz anyway. For reference, my current setup:
Roon with DSP (I EQ all of my phones) JDS Element 2 into Grado Hemp, 325e, Yamaha MT5, Sennheiser HD560S, Duni EST 112 (iem). I'm looking for a "special" pair, and given the above suspect these might work well. I'm looking at some Ether CX almost new for £600 and aeon closed or open xt for well under £400. Hifiman Edition XS also on my list also.

guzkiy

The problem with hifi in general right there. Id love to try the Stealth. They may be the best I've heard (they may not be either) Are they worth 4x more than the noire eq'd a bit? Are they worth 8 x more than the Aeon RT with eq?

Probably not, but I bet not many folk who've done exactly that would say there is zero benefit to having the Stealth .

And I bet no one who has the sennheiser 800 /800S would say any of the DCA are comparable to them either.

If you've got the cash, there is no harm in trying for yourself. Just don't expect miracles.
One can fix frequency response with eq if the headphones can take it (not guaranteed). There are other things that affect our listening - TDH etc. and those things can not be fixed with eq. Expensive headphones and speakers tend to be better overall because the driver technology is better. There is no point kidding yourself that HD560 can sound like HD800S just by applying eq alone. Yes 800S are better headphones, they do sound better and most people hear the difference. Does the better sound quality worth twice the money? That's a personal question.

symphara

I just got the Noire delivered today. Very comfortable, they surround the ears completely. Without pads, they don’t sound bright to me, just expansive and airy. I expected bass to go deeper, and be more pronounced, based on the reviews and the extra Harman curve tuning.

With my THX Onyx I need to up the volume to at least 80% to get them to sing. My ATH50s are way easier to drive.

Overall, they seem good but I’m not blown away. I’m not sure I will keep them.

radix

Major Contributor
With my THX Onyx I need to up the volume to at least 80% to get them to sing. My ATH50s are way easier to drive.
The Noire are a 12-ohm headphone. They need a properly sized amp. Your THX Onyx advertises down to 22 ohm, but it's only rated at 180 mW @ 22 ohm. I use an amp that's rated over 1000 mW @ 16-ohm (RME ADI2 DAC).

The ATH-m50 is 38-ohm or there abouts.

I would not think of the Noire as a mobile headphone. If that's the usage you want, then you likely need a bigger portable amp or a different headphone.

symphara

The Noire are a 12-ohm headphone. They need a properly sized amp. Your THX Onyx advertises down to 22 ohm, but it's only rated at 180 mW @ 22 ohm. I use an amp that's rated over 1000 mW @ 16-ohm (RME ADI2 DAC).

The ATH-m50 is 38-ohm or there abouts.

I would not think of the Noire as a mobile headphone. If that's the usage you want, then you likely need a bigger portable amp or a different headphone.
Thank you. That’s not strictly speaking the usage I want, I listen almost exclusively in bed or at the computer. I am not using these kinds of headphones on the go but I’d rather not have a mains-powered DAC/amp.

Plus, I use my iPad (USB-C) as signal generator, so I am probably very limited in the selection of compatible devices. I will investigate a bit but it looks like I will return these Noires, if that’s an option. While the Onyx doesn’t audibly distort, it probably doesn’t do them justice and perhaps that’s where the lack of bass comes from.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thank you. That’s not strictly speaking the usage I want, I listen almost exclusively in bed or at the computer. I am not using these kinds of headphones on the go but I’d rather not have a mains-powered DAC/amp.

Plus, I use my iPad (USB-C) as signal generator, so I am probably very limited in the selection of compatible devices. I will investigate a bit but it looks like I will return these Noires, if that’s an option. While the Onyx doesn’t audibly distort, it probably doesn’t do them justice and perhaps that’s where the lack of bass comes from.
You could always get a more powerful portable DAC/amp.. something like the ifi xDSD gryphon.

I drive my noire with a Singxer SA1 . Sounds beautiful. Can't complain about a lack of bass.

Top Bottom