• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Aeon Closed X upgrade to Aeon Noire Closed

Kevbaz

I have been using some Dan Clark Aeon Closed X connected to my RME ADI-2 DAC.
I love the sound but wondering if it is worth upgrading to the Aeon Noire Closed, I do miss the open sound I have in Grado and Sennhieser HD660s, but prefer the tonality and comfort of the Aeon Closed X.

Does the Aeon Noire Closed have a more open sound to the Dan Clark Aeon Closed X. What are the improvements someone can expect from the Aeon Noire Closed.

Cheers
Kev

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

Quick bump, has anyone any experience between the DCA Drop X closed and the AEOn 2/Noire close. It’s a big price jump and wondering if there is much gain.
Cheera
Kev

Shadez

There is a comparison on YouTube by DMS I believe if that helps at all

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

There is a comparison on YouTube by DMS I believe if that helps at all
Thanks Shadez I will give that a watch today.
Kev

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In terms of sound preference, I'm a bass addict so I like EtherCX but the square earpads notches would push me toward Noire if I were going to wear for extended periods (such as office environment). Noire sound quality is very close to EtherCX, within 10% to my recollection, but quite a bit more comfortable past the 1 hour mark. Im a XXL human, though, you may not experience the same level of discomfort with the CX.

What's your EQ look like, if any? And how loud do you listen? Because I keep the bass knob turned up, I've found a little more power is an easier/cheaper upgrade but that may not be relevant to you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick bump, has anyone any experience between the DCA Drop X closed and the AEOn 2/Noire close. It’s a big price jump and wondering if there is much gain.
Cheera
Kev
I have other DCA headphones but neither of these in particular. But they are both the same physical shape but different components. I would be surprised if you EQ both of them to the same target whether they could be easily discerned blind. Unless you cant/ wont EQ, I would suggest upgrading to the Noire wont be worth the price

Chester

I have the original Aeon Closed and the Noire if that’s of any use. The Noire is a fine headphone, seems to do most things right but since day one I’ve never really managed to be too excited by it. Maybe I had too high expectations. Personally I find the original Aeon Closed (with white filters) one of the most lifelike headphones I have heard. While the Noire in direct comparison does seem better at everything when you assess things individually, when it’s all put together, it just feels a tad bland. It’s an odd one for sure. It sounds better with OratoryEQ, really quite noticeably to me.

Take all this with a large pinch of subjective salt. I’ve only tested this using my own ears. Other ears may produce different results.

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

Thanks all for the feedback, I listen at low volumes and not got my head around the RME EQ yet :(
I need to find a shop near me that stocks most of the DCA range to try out.
I will try to have a go with the EQ today and see if I can tweak it and see if it improves.
I love the liveliness and open sound of Grado, but also like the tonality of the DCA X closed. Also with my noisy kids I can’t use open headphones much ;(

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

Is there any difference in design between the AEON RT and AEON 2, there is a big jump in price so wondering if it’s just better materials or improved driver/better damping of resonances in the cups.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any difference in design between the AEON RT and AEON 2, there is a big jump in price so wondering if it’s just better materials or improved driver/better damping of resonances in the cups.
Foldable for a start. The RT is based on the Aeon 1. The noire is an Aeon 2. Welcome to the world of hifi, price and performance are definitely not directly correlated.

EDIT- here is the differences in the 2 without EQ- the Noire far better hits the Harman target- more bass and more treble. They will definitely sound different- but as I said, with EQ that difference will massively narrow- and that assumes you prefer the Harman target sound. https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory/headphones?ids=297,170

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Well, if you're into the Harman target the 2 is tuned much closer. I assume you are since that's sort of DCA's signature at this point

Typically FR has the highest audibility by far. Distortion tends to be low across the whole lineup. A few links that might be helpful:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Different drivers. The RT still use the old design. If you can afford it get the noire. I love mine

But they definitely like a powerful amp. They work with a weaker amp as well but I feel like if you use them balanced with a good amp they really open up.

I'm using a Singxer SA-1 in high gain mode and for some songs I have the volume knob at 3pm.
That's without using a EQ.

I'm planning to upgrade to something like the Burson Soloist 3x performance in the future.

aandres_gm

Different drivers. The RT still use the old design. If you can afford it get the noire. I love mine

But they definitely like a powerful amp. They work with a weaker amp as well but I feel like if you use them balanced with a good amp they really open up.

I'm using a Singxer SA-1 in high gain mode and for some songs I have the volume knob at 3pm.
That's without using a EQ.

I'm planning to upgrade to something like the Burson Soloist 3x performance in the future.
I run my Closed X off an Apple Lightning-3.5mm dongle while on the go, and off a Topping A30 Pro. I don’t really notice any differences, tbh.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I run my Closed X off an Apple Lightning-3.5mm dongle while on the go, and off a Topping A30 Pro. I don’t really notice any differences, tbh.
Sorry to hear that? Don't know what to tell you .

radix

Major Contributor
I had the Aeon RT for a while. I could never get them EQ'd to my liking. I always thought they were missing something, compared to the sound of my Sundara. The sound just was not as full. I got a pair of Noire today and I think they are better than the RT. I returned the RT before the Noire showed up, so cannot head-to-head compare them, but I think the Noire EQ'd much the same as the Sundara, using the Oratory Harman curves. I much prefer the Noire to the RT.

I've been listening to everything on a DX3Pro+, btw.

doug2761

Forum Donor
I received my Aeon Noire today and have been comparing them to my Aeon X Closed. Initial reaction is that without EQ I have a preference for the Noire. I plan to use the Noire when I travel. The slightly smaller form factor when packed up and better sound without EQ are a plus for that use case.

With EQ, not surprisingly, they sound pretty close. I prefer the Noire with Oratory's EQ settings over the X Closed with his EQ settings. I've been playing with his settings for the X Closed and can get a very similar sound to the Noire. Close enough that each sound really good. I prefer the Noire but would be happy with either using EQ. The difference isn't enough to get spun up about.

Adding that the Drop Aeon X do qualify for the Dan Clark Audio Club. If you go that route then make sure you register your purchase for discounts on other DCA headphones.

Last edited:

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom