• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dali Spektor 1 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Hello everyone!

Been a lurker here for some time. Thank you for the wonderful reviews and discussion.

I (noob) am planning to buy Dali Spektor 1 soon, and I stumbled upon this. Couldn't decided on a budget (cheapest possible) AMP for it.

Should I make a new thread? I saw following posts -

1. Recommendation Request - Desktop AMP + DAC to power passive Dali Spektor 1 speakers
2. Any good budget stereo amps?

But I couldn't get an answer.

Pardon me if this is not the right place, I will do the needful.

Thank you.

AlexanderM

Hello everyone!

Been a lurker here for some time. Thank you for the wonderful reviews and discussion.

I (noob) am planning to buy Dali Spektor 1 soon, and I stumbled upon this. Couldn't decided on a budget (cheapest possible) AMP for it.

Should I make a new thread? I saw following posts -

1. Recommendation Request - Desktop AMP + DAC to power passive Dali Spektor 1 speakers
2. Any good budget stereo amps?

But I couldn't get an answer.

Pardon me if this is not the right place, I will do the needful.

Thank you.
The Wharfedale Diamond 220 did very well in the review here, just saying. Is it comparable in cost where you are?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dale-diamond-220-budget-speaker-review.16752/

The Wharfedale Diamond 220 did very well in the review here, just saying. Is it comparable in cost where you are?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wharfedale-diamond-220-budget-speaker-review.16752/

Thank you for your suggestion! I looked it up and found that it's priced more than the Dali here (Japan).

Dali Spektor 1 ~ 230 USD
Wharfedale Diamond 220 ~ 275-525 USD
JBL A120 ~ 145 USD
JBL A130 ~ 190 USD
Klipsch R-41M ~ 235 USD
Q Acoustics 3020i ~ 260 USD

This will be my first ever speaker purchase, and my budget is as minimum as possible. Also, I like the aesthetics of Spektor 1s more than the rest (not because the front looks like BB-8). Also, it's made in Denmark if i am not wrong!

It's only a few more dollars and you'll have them for a long time.

I will try to to see if I can find them in a store to test them. Although, I think it would be impossible to find the differences because of the environment. I wonder how much of a difference it will make.

Can you also recommend a budget amp suitable for these speakers? The availability of amps is a big problem here.

Wow! Thanks a lot @Sexter

Since you know the sound of these speakers, can you please recommend me a small budget Amp for it?
As you can see from this list (sorry for the japanese language) the stores have usually big sized amps. I remember reading somewhere that the sound of Spektor 1 is bit dark, and good (cold?) for critical listening. So does the Amp need to complement the character of the sound of the speakers? Many talk about synergy between the audio components. And I clueless because of this. Hence, I would appreciate your comments.

Johannes AU

Thank you for your suggestion! I looked it up and found that it's priced more than the Dali here (Japan).

Dali Spektor 1 ~ 230 USD
Wharfedale Diamond 220 ~ 275-525 USD
JBL A120 ~ 145 USD
JBL A130 ~ 190 USD
Klipsch R-41M ~ 235 USD
Q Acoustics 3020i ~ 260 USD

This will be my first ever speaker purchase, and my budget is as minimum as possible. Also, I like the aesthetics of Spektor 1s more than the rest (not because the front looks like BB-8). Also, it's made in Denmark if i am not wrong!

No, it is assembled in China ......

Johannes AU

Wow! Thanks a lot @Sexter

Since you know the sound of these speakers, can you please recommend me a small budget Amp for it?
As you can see from this list (sorry for the japanese language) the stores have usually big sized amps. I remember reading somewhere that the sound of Spektor 1 is bit dark, and good (cold?) for critical listening. So does the Amp need to complement the character of the sound of the speakers? Many talk about synergy between the audio components. And I clueless because of this. Hence, I would appreciate your comments.

Yamaha WXA-50 is a perfect match.
I do not know what is the meaning of dark sound, you cannot expect too much for a small speaker like this. I myself accepts the performance of the Spektor 1, I just enjoy the music more than the equipment at this price point. Matching with Yamaha WXA-50 it sounds nice to me .... if you need more lows, you can add a Yamaha sub like me, NS-SW050 which is cheap and not bad.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-yamaha-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/

Last edited:

Johannes AU

View attachment 142071

Enclosure is singing along together with the woofer, tweeter and port.

Yes, it is true, the small cabinet sings especially at high volume !!!

I stick on the rubber feet included in the packing, and rest the speaker on small square(s) of cork (40x40x8mm) at 4 corners, it creates a gap of about 17mm betwwen the speaker and desk surface, it sounds better.

Last edited:

Johannes AU

I read the closed thread .... the comment about Amir is not fair, I am not pro-Amir, but I respect to what he done in the past, the measurement is a technical thing for our reference, whether someone like the product or not is the readers'/users' feeling, something might sound good at the showroom but not as good as in the room the buyer placed it ...... (there are lots of variables, Amp, source, you name it)

Besides, Amir has the right to say something which he don't like.

Yamaha WXA-50 is a perfect match.
I do not know what is the meaning of dark sound, you cannot expect too much for a small speaker like this. I myself accepts the performance of the Spektor 1, I just enjoy the music more than the equipment at this price point. Matching with Yamaha WXA-50 it sounds nice to me .... if you need more lows, you can add a Yamaha sub like me, NS-SW050 which is cheap and not bad.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-yamaha-wxa-50-streaming-amp.7964/

Honestly, even I don't know exactly about dark sound, I wish I could find the source to link it here.

Thanks for your recommendation. Size-wise it's perfect, but it's around 400 USD here, so way-over budget. I can't spend more than the budget of speaker. I want to go below 200 range, heck even 100 if possible.

Also, WXA-50 lacks USB, so I guess I can't connect it with my laptop. Am I right? There is MusicCast available, so it seems I can stream it over WiFi (and Ethernet?). But anyways it's not in my budget.

And, thanks for the sub recommendation, I would like to add it in near future, but first of all I need to get my speakers and amp sorted out.

Thanks for your time!

T

Thanks @AlexanderM.

Yeah, I saw those speakers. They are big for my space. There are also smaller A120. But again, I think the design of Spektor 1's is more inviting for me. It will make me listen to music more than the others mentioned. IIRC Spektor 1s sounded more wide and open than the A130 in the store.

But I might consider them if I can't get a lower priced amp! Let's see.

Johannes AU

Honestly, even I don't know exactly about dark sound, I wish I could find the source to link it here.

Thanks for your recommendation. Size-wise it's perfect, but it's around 400 USD here, so way-over budget. I can't spend more than the budget of speaker. I want to go below 200 range, heck even 100 if possible.

Also, WXA-50 lacks USB, so I guess I can't connect it with my laptop. Am I right? There is MusicCast available, so it seems I can stream it over WiFi (and Ethernet?). But anyways it's not in my budget.

And, thanks for the sub recommendation, I would like to add it in near future, but first of all I need to get my speakers and amp sorted out.

Thanks for your time!

You can send signal from laptop to WXA-50 via WiFi, bluetooth or physically AUX-in, MusicCast is easy to use ... sad that it is not fit to your budget.

tuga

Major Contributor
These speakers are designed to be listened to off axis.

Any evaluation, objective or subjective, must take that into account. The speaker seem flatest at 30º off-axis and the listening assessment should have been made that way.

tuga

Major Contributor
On the other hand, because Dali speakers are meant to be used with no toe-in their use is limited to long wall setup in very wide rooms or when the side walls are treated. Unless one enjoys a "bright" balance and "wide" images and soundstage...

On the other hand, because Dali speakers are meant to be used with no toe-in their use is limited to long wall setup in very wide rooms or when the side walls are treated. Unless one enjoys a "bright" balance and "wide" images and soundstage...

I am aware that they are not supposed to be angled and toed in, but your comment made me nervous! I am thinking of creating a new post with more details about my planned use, otherwise I am afraid I am taking the discussion off-topic here.

Thanks for your comment.

Top Bottom