• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Daft Punk's Thomas Bangalter has a cute office system

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I see the classic 1971-73 Sansui AU-555A, a pair of little Harbeth speakers and a Technics SL-1200mkx turntable. And some sort of DAP on the desk?

And, for good measure, he has the loudness contour switched on!

From this NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/03/...-punk-mythologies.html?searchResultPosition=1

daft punk.png

Pic : Sam Hellmann for The New York Times

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to have a gorgeous Sansui like that one he has on the shelf. It looked fantastic. Not much power though. It had enough to get loud and no more. Wonderful piece.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at that DAP, especially the colour and that godawful connector, it might be one of the Sony wm1z

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Judging by placement and positioning it can't sound good disreging of any equipment used. So it's more of a decoration. If it whose a pair of good small monitors placed on the desk I would say OK.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looking at that DAP, especially the colour and that godawful connector, it might be one of the Sony wm1z
That one is longer, way too new for him and has the headphone plug on the other side than the one shown.
I reckon its an older (probably classic) player with wood side panels or so.
The guy seems more interesting in classic stuff than newer SOTA stuff.. at least in that particular room.

The DAP is connected to the Sennheiser HD25... also indicating he does not seem to care about higher fidelity that much but probably grabbed it from the studio where it is an often used headphone for onsite monitoring (good isolation, not hot on the ears, dynamic clear but not hifi sound).

Last edited:

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
The specs don't tell us much, that & the price, I don't know but it seems to have the requirements for a "snake oil" product.
Why do you say that? Sweetchaos's spreadsheet indicates one of the 4000 models can do 111db at 10hz per data bass measurements.

egellings

Major Contributor
Judging by placement and positioning it can't sound good disreging of any equipment used. So it's more of a decoration. If it whose a pair of good small monitors placed on the desk I would say OK.
I wonder how the TT is connected to the amplifier. Don't see any cables, and the distance between the two is pretty large.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how the TT is connected to the amplifier. Don't see any cables, and the distance between the two is pretty large.
He's a future robot man, man. He scienced it.

MinimumFaze

Forum Donor
The cabinet directly under the TT looks slightly ajar with a cable coming out the bottom and under the rug towards the amplifier. Maybe.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@egellings well he obviously does use those headphones with Sony DAP and DAP as USB DAC. Seams TT cable goes all the way under the rug and amplifier and speakers behind are probably more of a decoration as stated earlier all do functional the power cord on the left is visible and even reflection of it.

egellings

Major Contributor
@egellings well he obviously does use those headphones with Sony DAP and DAP as USB DAC. Seams TT cable goes all the way under the rug and amplifier and speakers behind are probably more of a decoration as stated earlier all do functional the power cord on the left is visible and even reflection of it.
Missed that.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Fascinating photo, it looks like it was taken in the early 80s, and I suspect everything in the photo existed at that point as well, I guess except the Head-fi on the desk.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Restorer-John, retro-audio paparazzi, first Barbie now this :cool:
Edit: this was first actually

Guermantes

"Switched On Bach II" pride of place on the shelf :cool:

Top Bottom