• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs with Mojo sound signature

Koeitje

Major Contributor
An alternative for this one?

Its pretty practically transparant, so any transparent dac will sound the same.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
OTOH, maybe the best thing to do would be to buy a UNIK and learn to use REW in order to address the gross distortions of in room bass response (something that's truly audible) instead of fretting over minute imagined subjective differences among nearly pluperfect components (DACS) caused by advertising and reviewer induced perceptual biases.

Or, if he's a headphone user, look at correcting the response of the phone's with Crinacle's correction curves and Equalizer APO. It's free.
Absolutely - measuring, room correction with EQ, acoustic treatment, headphone EQ are what makes actual meaningful audible differences.
From personal experience though, it took some time (and $$$) to overcome the psychological conditioning from all the misinformation that's circling around in order to actually understand and accept it. Blind level-matched A/B testing and the support of this community was the cure for it.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely - measuring, room correction with EQ, acoustic treatment, headphone EQ are what makes actual meaningful audible differences.
From personal experience though, it took some time (and $$$) to overcome the psychological conditioning from all the misinformation that's circling around in order to actually understand and accept it. Blind level-matched A/B testing and the support of this community was the cure for it.
I would suggest the OP should try that course of action first. It's free (or the price of a $75 UMIK). If, after doing those corrections, he still wants a MOJO either for pride of ownership and/or conviction it will make a meaningful (to him) sonic difference, then by all means go right ahead.

But anyone coming to this site deserves the best, evidence based advice.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I compared a Topping D10 to a Mojo:
D10 phono outputs into a Naim amp, but also the digital optical out feeding a Mojo (set to 2v output), with the headphone out being sent to another input channel on Naim amp, and then switched between the Naim inputs using a remote whilst various tracks played. Almost instantly I forgot which channel was which, and i heard absolutely zero difference between them, no matter what style of music was being played. The Mojo went on ebay.
Or use something like Liberty Instruments Audio Difference Maker to see at what db the same track played on the respective DACs nulls out at. Then play the difference track aloud and see if it's even audible. My money says it won't be.

PyramidElectric

Or use something like Liberty Instruments Audio Difference Maker to see at what db the same track played on the respective DACs nulls out at. Then play the difference track aloud and see if it's even audible. My money says it won't be.
I think even if the 'difference' was something, for what I wanted know (basically which of these sounds best on my system?) it'd be total overkill. Of course there may be measururable differences, or also audiable differences to other people, all I'm saying is that to my ears (I'm in my early 40s fwiw) and on my system, I couldn't tell them apart, and that was all the info i needed. Of course measurements will tell you the real story and point you straight to where you want to be without any of this messing about :)

Top Bottom