• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs with Mojo sound signature

spark plugs.

so I've been reading these forums and reddit forms a lot lately looking for a dac to permanently sit on my desk.

while the Mojo doesn't review well on paper, I like the soft sound signature considerably more than the Topping DX3 pro+ I just bought. I know that this forums love the numbers, but I guess there's a filtered sound that I appreciate.

in the <$500 is there a pure DAC I can look at with a similar sound?

Reactions: Els

Kevbaz

You might be better looking at one of the many well measuring DACs on here and use EQ to get the sound you want.
Kev

OP
S

spark plugs.

You might be better looking at one of the many well measuring DACs on here and use EQ to get the sound you want.
Kev
never thought to add an EQ to the mix. what is well regarded in this range?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
never thought to add an EQ to the mix. what is well regarded in this range?
What is your source device? Streaming service? Or local files?

EDIT- keep the DX3 regardless, its a good DAC, no sense losing money on a trade. Focus on EQ (hence my questions )

OP
S

spark plugs.

Fun fact: in a level matched properly done blind test, chances are very high that you cannot tell the two DAC’s apart.
I disagree. I've done this repeatedly with this Topping DAC, the mojo, and an audioquest dragonfly red.

the mojo just sounds warmer and I always gravitate to it. I could be fooling myself, but I don't think I am.

OP
S

spark plugs.

What is your source device? Streaming service? Or local files?

EDIT- keep the DX3 regardless, its a good DAC, no sense losing money on a trade. Focus on EQ (hence my questions )
I play mostly tidal and apple lossless on my 2021 MacBook Pro

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I play mostly tidal and apple lossless on my 2021 MacBook Pro

Should help regarding EQ choices. I'm assuming you are headphones listening rather than speakers? If so , which HP?

OP
S

spark plugs.

Did you level match? If yes, how? Was is blind? Was it double blind?
you'll catch me. I didn't take this test that seriously. it was blind to the extent that I had my wife switch sources without telling me which is which.

OP
S

spark plugs.

Should help regarding EQ choices. I'm assuming you are headphones listening rather than speakers? If so , which HP?
I'm using Adam a5x...but I'm not making music by any means...so I KNOW I'm using studio monitors incorrectly.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Audibility of differences in DACs is a very hot topic on ASR, many people have tried it themselves and after proper volume matching the universal outcome is that all differences heard before disappear. Many can hear volume differences down close to 0.1dB after some practice and intense focus. The only way to get to that level of volume matching is to measure the voltage of a sine wave with a multimeter or oscilloscope. Matching by ear or even a microphone won't work well enough.

PyramidElectric

I compared a Topping D10 to a Mojo:
D10 phono outputs into a Naim amp, but also the digital optical out feeding a Mojo (set to 2v output), with the headphone out being sent to another input channel on Naim amp, and then switched between the Naim inputs using a remote whilst various tracks played. Almost instantly I forgot which channel was which, and i heard absolutely zero difference between them, no matter what style of music was being played. The Mojo went on ebay.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
I'll throw a subjectivist argument in there for the fun of it -

Our listening experience is a very complex cognitive process where biases play a huge role and are essentially unavoidable. Even if you prove to yourself with a double blind test that a certain expensive product sounds exactly the same as a cheap one, it might still be worth it getting the more expensive one if that matches your preconceived biases. Many us on ASR do this with measurements - when we value the technical excellence of a well-measuring product, we want to buy the best measuring one for personal comfort and satisfaction even if there's no audible difference. There's nothing wrong with that in my book if it's fine with your checkbook :)
If Chord hits your Mojo, by all means enjoy it, while I plan my upgrade from D90 to D90SE for 3dB SINAD improvement ;):p

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll throw a subjectivist argument in there for the fun of it -

Our listening experience is a very complex cognitive process where biases play a huge role and are essentially unavoidable. Even if you prove to yourself with a double blind test that a certain expensive product sounds exactly the same as a cheap one, it might still be worth it getting the more expensive one if that matche your preconceived biases. Many us on ASR do this with measurements - when we value the technical excellence of a well-measuring product, we want to buy the best measuring one for personal comfort and satisfaction even if there's no audible difference. There's nothing wrong with that in my book if it's fine with your checkbook :)
If Chord hits your Mojo, by all means enjoy it, while I plan my upgrade from D90 to D90SE for 3dB SINAD improvement ;):p
OTOH, maybe the best thing to do would be to buy a UNIK and learn to use REW in order to address the gross distortions of in room bass response (something that's truly audible) instead of fretting over minute imagined subjective differences among nearly pluperfect components (DACS) caused by advertising and reviewer induced perceptual biases.

Or, if he's a headphone user, look at correcting the response of the phone's with Crinacle's correction curves and Equalizer APO. It's free.

Top Bottom