• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs with display | Equalizer APO, WASAPI/ASIO & bit/kHz-perfect, is there a way?

PeterHans

Hi everyone,

in the last weeks I read quite a few times questions about a solution when using Equalizer APO and a DAC (mainly Topping and other brands, e.g. D10 or D30 Pro, Loxjie D30 and so on) and the correct indication on the display (automatic switches of the bitrate and kHz dependent on the music file).

OIP.OJovj_HD2eyBGHBAoamdTAHaHa

Common practice is the installation of ASIO or WASAPI (push/event) and setting the right output, pretty easy and everyone is happy, works with no problems.
I can only speak for myself and have to say that I find it quite satisfying when the indication (display) switches automatically to the correct bitrate and kHz, although I know that I'll probably won't hear a difference.

BUT if you use equalizer settings with Equalizer APO all the effects won't work as soon as you use PUSH/EVENT or ASIO.
To my understanding there are a the following compromises, please correct me if I am wrong, I am far away from being an expert:

1. don't use PUSH/EVENT or ASIO (no satisfaction when looking at the display) :(
Use EqApo set gain at -4dB (check boxes on premix and post-mix in the configurator) = good sound
Thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nding-the-windows-audio-quality-debate.19438/

2. Install an additional component in foobar2000 and use the settings from EqAPO (I didn't understand the process) and you can use PUSH/EVENT or ASIO?!?! But I also read that it's not bit-perfect?

My question would be:

Is there any way to get an automatic change of bitrate and kHz (noticable on the display of the DAC) and still use EqApo?
I think this would be interesting to quite a lot users who are inexperienced in this kind of topic.

If yes, would somebody please be so kind and explain it?
Thank you very much!

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Is there any way to get an automatic change of bitrate and kHz (noticable on the display of the DAC) and still use EqApo?
I think this would be interesting to quite a lot users who are inexperienced in this kind of topic.
No.

The APO only works with WASAPI shared mode or MME/DirectSound. In this mode you have a default bit-depth + sample-rate (that you configure in the windows sound control panel) and that is what will always be used and displayed on the DAC.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can use voicemeeter, it has ASIO input then some other output to choose from. EQAPO can eq voicemeeter.

OP
P

PeterHans

You can use voicemeeter, it has ASIO input then some other output to choose from. EQAPO can eq voicemeeter.

Thanks, I installed it, what would be the right configuration?
- Set the output in foobar on ASIO USB DAC or ASIO Voicemeter?
- which settings do I have to use in the program?

2021-06-14_123759.png

EDIT

I figured it out myself but it doesn't work.
If I choose Output: ASIO: Voicemeter in foobar, I get an error every time.

2021-06-14_135526.png

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
Maybe try MathAudio EQ, the foobar2k plugin is free. Then you can use ASIO or WASAPI direct from foobar.
You will need to copy the settings over from whatever you're currently using, but it's not that hard. This screenshot shows an APO setup with 4 filters active that's been copied over to the MathAudio plugin. Start with filter 1, enter the frequency, gain and Q, then advance to filter 2 and repeat, etc. If you have low- or high-shelf filters in APO make sure they're set to Low-shelf filter (Q as slope) so you can copy the numbers over.
EQ.png

MathAudio tries to adjust gain automatically so EQ boosts won't result in clipping, but it might be wise to adjust the 'Headphone EQ Gain' slider at the top to -1dB or so if you have a lot of boosts.

OP
P

PeterHans

Thanks for the great instructions!

I had to return my current DAC but I will try it as soon as it's back, highly appreciated!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My preference is use RePhase to create an impulse .WAV file and use a convolver to apply the filters therein. With foobar you will have to resample everything to the rate used for the impulse file. That process is transparent these days.

DarrylG

My preference is use RePhase to create an impulse .WAV file and use a convolver to apply the filters therein. With foobar you will have to resample everything to the rate used for the impulse file. That process is transparent these days.
Does this work with streaming services?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this work with streaming services?
If you can connect to the service using Foobar it should work. If you have to connect with a browser or app then use equalizer APO.

DarrylG

If you can connect to the service using Foobar it should work. If you have to connect with a browser or app then use equalizer APO.
I have Amazon Music HD, so I can't connect with Foobar. When I switch on exclusive mode, I lose EQ, even if I'm using an impulse wav in Equalizer APO.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Amazon Music HD, so I can't connect with Foobar. When I switch on exclusive mode, I lose EQ, even if I'm using an impulse wav in Equalizer APO.
If you can't connect with Foobar, how do you connect and where is exclusive mode being used? Equalizer APO is not compatible with exclusive mode or ASIO.

DarrylG

If you can't connect with Foobar, how do you connect and where is exclusive mode being used? Equalizer APO is not compatible with exclusive mode or ASIO.
There is an exclusive mode in the Amazon HD app. Yes, as far as I already knew, Equalizer APO isn't compatible with exclusive mode, but I thought maybe you had found a solution.

Top Bottom