• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs that have data+power over USB-C to devices e.g. iPad

BadAudioAdvice

I am looking for a DAC to use with my iPad for Apple Music Lossless, that would connect via USB-C, and also provide power to the iPad.

Currently I am using the Topping E50 with the iPad, however, I would need to unplug the iPad and plug it into a charger. (Alternatively, I have used a dongle that does passthrough power, but it becomes a mess of wires)

It would be great if there was a single cable solution where the DAC can send power over USB-C to charge the connected device.

Is anyone familiar with a DAC that can do that?

Thank you!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using a USB-C hub with Power Delivery (PD) to connect an Android tablet to my Topping D50s DAC and USB C power supply.

Hub:
I've stuck the hub to the back of a tablet stand using velcro and I used a 180 degree USB-C adapter to keep the cabling neat...

IMG_20221020_132739 (Small).jpg

180 deg adpater:
Stand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N05W4A2

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just skimmed your post but would this work?

USB C Hub, Baseus 6-in-1 Portable USB C Adapter for iPad Pro, Upgrade Type C Dongle to 4K HDMI, USB 3.0, SD/Micro SD Card Reader, 3.5mm Earphone Jack, Type C PD Charger, Independent Switch https://a.co/e0ZRFx9

Not a one wire solution but at least one to the DAC and one to the power supply.

OP
B

BadAudioAdvice

Thanks for the responses, and that dongle you linked to certainly looks sleek attached to the iPad, however I'm still looking for a single cable solution from the DAC, to reduce the cable clutter, and an extra power supply in the power strip. (I've gone down the path of Dongle with Power Delivery passthrough, but that means I still need to have an extra "wall wart" plugged in)

I've really gotten used to the simplicity of USB-C power+data over 1 cable (e.g. from my monitor).

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the responses, and that dongle you linked to certainly looks sleek attached to the iPad, however I'm still looking for a single cable solution from the DAC, to reduce the cable clutter, and an extra power supply in the power strip. (I've gone down the path of Dongle with Power Delivery passthrough, but that means I still need to have an extra "wall wart" plugged in)

I've really gotten used to the simplicity of USB-C power+data over 1 cable (e.g. from my monitor).
The issue in my case is that my DAC itself is USB powered. Topping D10. That seems to be the trend as they don’t want to deal with mains power on those. It’s very hard to get an audio company to send power the other way. It’s different in the computer market.

Also if you look at it, that dongle thing has a DAC already in it if you would trust that DAC. The computer market guys will bundle everything in a device. The audio market guys not so much.

I really wish there were a better way too.

EDIT: not sure if this will work. Expensive but that’s par for the course for these kinds of one off solutions. Might even be worth it if the one cable idea is important to you.

Coolgear USB 3.1 PD Injector USB C PD 2.0 Gen1/2 B Host to USB 3.1 PD Device
https://a.co/d/ijUnflT

Edit 2: one more device to investigate.

Tripp Lite USB C Active Extension Cable USB C to USB C USB 3.1 Gen 1 M/F 5M (U330-05M-C2C)
https://a.co/d/5joi0N4

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think you are going to find a desktop DAC with USB-C PD any time soon. Not because it's technically difficult, but because the increased costs associated with providing the feature (bigger PSU, additional circuitry, beefier cables, etc.) would not be justified by the sales for this relatively niche use case.

However, if the DAC was marketed as turning your iPad/Android tablet into an audiophile streamer, there might be some milage in that.

Another option for my own setup with the USB-C dongle would be to extend the cable that connects to my tablet. This would allow me to hide the dongle close to the DAC (under the table in my case) and only have a single cable going to the tablet and stand.

This sort of cable should work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094X9LTZM?pd_rd_i

If you use a DAC that can be powered from USB (e.g. Topping D10s), then you could also avoid the 2nd PSU.

Last edited:
OP
B

BadAudioAdvice

Hopefully it can be reviewed one day!

Using a 180 degree USB-C dongle from the iPad (so that the wire can be run behind), combined with a USB-C cable and a USB-C to USB-C joiner adapter, so that the actual Hub can be located quite close to the stereo, for a neater appearance, and only having the 1 power adapter.

Top Bottom