• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs compare: AV7706 vs CX-A5200 vs Oppo BD-105D

MasterApex

Does anyone have experience or measurement compare between AV7706 DAC (AKM 4458) vs CX-A5200 (ESS9026Pro) ?

Asking in the context of getting new Pre-pro and whether continue use analog out from my current Oppo BD105D DAC (ESS) or use digital out and get analog out from these new pre-pro?

Thanks

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have experience or measurement compare between AV7706 DAC (AKM 4458) vs CX-A5200 (ESS9026Pro) ?

Asking in the context of getting new Pre-pro and whether continue use analog out from my current Oppo BD105D DAC (ESS) or use digital out and get analog out from these new pre-pro?

Thanks

Any of those 3 dac chips won't be the weak link, it will be the volume control IC. In terms of the dac chips only, the 105D's has the best specs.

OP
M

MasterApex

Thanks Peng... you might have already answered me on another thread.
But just in case, I will clarify the context of why I asked.

I want to preserve the best of my existing stereo, while replacing the pre-amp with either AV7706 or CX-A5200 to add Atmos music capability.
Current stereo pre-amp is Adcom GFP750 in passive mode " the audio signal input to the preamp only sees the input switching and volume attenuator before it is sent out to the output " , XLR output driving a bi-amp XLR inputs.
When testing with AVM50v, its XLR output driving the same bi-amp XLR inputs, I noticed slight volume and sound quality degradation.
The input source is oppo 105 SACD , XLR output.

As I consider replacing stereo GFP750 with Atmos capable pre-pro.
To get analog stereo sounds:
A1) with CX-A5200, I can use Oppo analog XLR out
A2) with CX-A5200, I can use Oppo Dig out to pre-pro, let 5200 does the analog conversion
B1) with AV7706, I am limited to Oppo analog RCA out
B2) with AV7706 , I can use Oppo Dig out to pre-pro, let 7706 does the analog conversion

A1 is better than B1 due to XLR
A2 vs B2 is unknown

For Oppo SACD multichannel sound, I also have option for
B3) with AV7706, use Oppo 6ch analog out into AV7706 6ch direct analog.
In case oppo BD-105D DAC is better than either Yamaha 5200 or AV7706.

Therefore the question above.
Thanks.

Top Bottom