• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DACs and midrange performance (i.e. voices playback)

OP
G

gino1961

OP
G

gino1961

It's the recording master, not the DAC... write to the singer and tell her to stop singing harshly, lol.
JSmith
:D Hi ! anyway ... i have received the SMSL Sanskrit .... and i am impressed for now. Very. But now i have already another obsession ... NOS dacs.
When the midrange is bad all is bad ...

OP
G

gino1961

His DAC has Lupus
hi after all the advice i think i could be allergic to too much signal processing ? anyway i like recording very much. Unfortunately it is very difficult to get a salary in this field where i live (Italy). I should retire soon and i have a friend who knows a recording engineer. My dream way to spend retirement would be to go out and record small ensembles and make cds for no profit. I would be very curious to listen what i can get.
Live recordings. I like so much the idea to fix a music performance for ever. And some amateur ensembles are also very very decent.

gvl

Major Contributor
Hi this is very interesting. i would like to try one very much. I wonder if this one for instance could be a good start ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/L1543DAC-16X-Parallel-TDA1543-HiFi-Fever-Decoder-Reproduction-TDA1541/272883337850?hash=item3f891d4a7a:g:sx0AAOSwovFZ3g3Q&LH_BIN=1

I wouldn't bother, all NOS DACs are inherently broken by design. But if you just want to satisfy your curiosity and waste $150 or so in the process may be ok... Better than spending thousands on a Metrum DAC anyway.

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hi after all the advice i think i could be allergic to too much signal processing ? anyway i like recording very much. Unfortunately it is very difficult to get a salary in this field where i live (Italy). I should retire soon and i have a friend who knows a recording engineer. My dream way to spend retirement would be to go out and record small ensembles and make cds for no profit. I would be very curious to listen what i can get.
Live recordings. I like so much the idea to fix a music performance for ever. And some amateur ensembles are also very very decent.
Caro Gino,

First step for you is to go buy a USB microphone and record using GarageBand on a Mac. You will see how steep the learning curve is! Then, you can slowly move into separate microphones and a good interface. Start there, this is enough for you to initiate the process. You will then change from GarageBand to a different software, but the issues will be similar.

I was "forced" to do this as my wife sings in a master chorale group and because of the pandemic, they have to record their part at home and send the file to a member who then incorporates all files and creates the "choir". Recording her voice alone was sweat inducing! This isn only with the USB mic and the Mac.

OP
G

gino1961

I wouldn't bother, all NOS DACs are inherently broken by design. But if you just want to satisfy your curiosity and waste $150 or so in the process may be ok... Better than spending thousands on a Metrum DAC anyway.
hi ! thank you very much again. Good to know ! actually i am enjoying quite a lot the new little Smsl .... and also the volume control does not impact detail.
It is very hand to use with amps without a remote control. Very nice.

OP
G

gino1961

Caro Gino, First step for you is to go buy a USB microphone and record using GarageBand on a Mac. You will see how steep the learning curve is! Then, you can slowly move into separate microphones and a good interface. Start there, this is enough for you to initiate the process. You will then change from GarageBand to a different software, but the issues will be similar.
I was "forced" to do this as my wife sings in a master chorale group and because of the pandemic, they have to record their part at home and send the file to a member who then incorporates all files and creates the "choir". Recording her voice alone was sweat inducing! This isn only with the USB mic and the Mac.

Hi ! i have already one of this ... bought 2nd hand and still not used
https://www.amazon.it/Tascam-DR-70D-Registratore-canali-fotocamere/dp/B00OQUJ362
But i understand that a laptop and a decent usb interface would be a much better solution ... the SWs are great this days. To say it all i have already two interfaces ... an Audient ID 22 and a Tascam uh-7000. I have to buy the mics ... i will make some research asap.
Very interesting indeed I understand that to get great results is not that easy. But i love the idea too much.
If my plan works I should early retire (i am 59) within the current year After that, for sure I will throw my head down at least to learn how to use the equipment And then as soon as it reopens I look for a music group that wants to be recorded some test
Thanks a lot for your very kind and valuable advice.
Kind regards, gino

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi ! i have already one of this ... bought 2nd hand and still not used
https://www.amazon.it/Tascam-DR-70D-Registratore-canali-fotocamere/dp/B00OQUJ362
But i understand that a laptop and a decent usb interface would be a much better solution ... the SWs are great this days. To say it all i have already two interfaces ... an Audient ID 22 and a Tascam uh-7000. I have to buy the mics ... i will make some research asap.
Very interesting indeed I understand that to get great results is not that easy. But i love the idea too much.
If my plan works I should early retire (i am 59) within the current year After that, for sure I will throw my head down at least to learn how to use the equipment And then as soon as it reopens I look for a music group that wants to be recorded some test
Thanks a lot for your very kind and valuable advice.
Kind regards, gino
I'd start with a couple microphones. I'd suggest considering the sE8 omni's from sE electronics if they are available where you are. You can also get them in cardioid and I believe they now make the capsules so you can have both and swap them out. These are pretty good quality without being terribly expensive.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I particularly liked:
  • 0:23.6 - a tick in the left channel
  • 2:35.1 - a tick in the center, maybe a bit to the right
  • 2:56.5 - a tick in the left channel
And at 1:09.3, I don't know, maybe that's the instrument, but sounds suspicious to me.
(clips, repeated 3 times, in attachment)

Attachments

• clips.zip
    783.6 KB · Views: 84
OP
G

gino1961

I'd start with a couple microphones. I'd suggest considering the sE8 omni's from sE electronics if they are available where you are. You can also get them in cardioid and I believe they now make the capsules so you can have both and swap them out. These are pretty good quality without being terribly expensive.

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very valuable advice ... yes they are available
https://www.thomann.de/it/se_electronics_se8_stereo_set.htm
very nice looking. I have to study a little first anyway ... it will take some months. I would like to start very low
https://www.thomann.de/it/behringer_b5_b_stock_2.htm
and move upwards only if the results will be encouraging.
I have already made a big mistake in life with my studies. Stubbornness is a bad thing. Better to follow the attitudes ... if they are legal of course.
Seriously i am fascinated by capturing and fixing an event in time ... also as a picture but much more as a sound or video. I will start with sound.

In the meantime i have replaced the amp and now the feelin is quite better ... Using this now:
https://www.amazon.com/Qinpu-6000-I...0057OI448/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
I had the one in the pic ... a little cheap hybrid. I am starting to feel that an hybrid solution could be pleasant.
I am using also the remote control on the dac and the resolution remains good ... very very great little dac. I am sincerely impressed.
At the point that i am thinking to a better psu for the dac ... it deserves something really good.
Thanks a lot again. Kind regards, gino

Attachments

• qinpu.jpg
    qinpu.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Top Bottom