• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DacMagic Fault - Won't turn on

JKelloggs

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place, but I'm slightly upset as my DacMagic Plus won't turn on.

Been using it quite a bit recently, which today was no different 3-5 hours of use having worked from home. Popped for lunch (which I turned the AMP off), went to turn it back on, and no lights, or anything.

I don't currently have a replacment power cable, but that would be my first thought, and I've got one on order.

Didn't know if anyone else with more technical knowhow than myself had any ideas. Any questions, I'll happily answer.

Thanks!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place, but I'm slightly upset as my DacMagic Plus won't turn on...
I've mentioned this before, but the LEDs on my DACmag + started to fail. USB is completely out, and the others are dimming fast. At least that's how it was when I disconnected it and threw it in the closet. It was only a couple of years old. Needless to say, I am not happy with CA. Maybe yours is just the LEDs. Cycle through the inputs to tell if you are getting any output. If they are all dead, then I'd just put it in the closet. Buy another brand if it is out of warranty. If it's in warranty they will probably send you a refurbed replacement. I guess that's something.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@anmpr1 They likely use really cheap Chinese SMD chip LEDs which just don't last unfortunately. You could dive in and replace them all after confirming they are running them within spec (correct limiting resistors).

@JKelloggs Step one, try another PSU (power supply).

OP
J

JKelloggs

@anmpr1 They likely use really cheap Chinese SMD chip LEDs which just don't last unfortunately. You could dive in and replace them all after confirming they are running them within spec (correct limiting resistors).

@JKelloggs Step one, try another PSU (power supply).
Thanks all.

Yeah I'll be trying a new power supply, waiting on it to arrive, but going off the other comments, there literally is no power going to the device, and nothing outputting etc, so I'm betting on that.

I'll update the post when I have more information, but I appreciate the feedback!

OP
J

JKelloggs

New power supply didn't work unfortunately. Currently trying to enquire about an out of warranty repair. Kinda burned that I bought this used, but at least I didn't pay that much for it, but still, very frustrating.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
New power supply didn't work unfortunately. Currently trying to enquire about an out of warranty repair. Kinda burned that I bought this used, but at least I didn't pay that much for it, but still, very frustrating.

That is disappointing... Sorry for your bad luck on this one.

Archsam

Time to upgrade

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well here's one for you. I've held down Filter/Phase button, whilst powering on for 10 seconds. Turned it back off, and guess what... It's working.
Nice fix. I checked my documentation, and that procedure is used to switch the device from USB Class 1 to USB Class 2. I guess it performed some sort of reset for you.

OP
J

JKelloggs

Nice fix. I checked my documentation, and that procedure is used to switch the device from USB Class 1 to USB Class 2. I guess it performed some sort of reset for you.
Yeah I did do that when I initially got the device. Decided to hold down the different buttons on power up, and all working.

Least I have another power cable now...

Thanks all :)

gmkater

Fantastic! I just made my dad very happy with this fix. He now has sound again while having to stay at home because of covid..
Thank you guys for posting this!

OP
J

JKelloggs

Fantastic! I just made my dad very happy with this fix. He now has sound again while having to stay at home because of covid..
Thank you guys for posting this!
That makes me so happy it's also worked for someone else!! :)

Top Bottom