• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC with XLR Output

geshwin

Hey there,
I am looking for a device that fits my system like so:
PC --> [?] --> Power Amp --> Speakers
Since the sole source is my computer (as I use EQs there) I am looking for a device that works as a USB Dac, has a nice and sturdy volume knob and an XLR output to the Amp. Must work with Linux. I noticed that many also include a headphone amp, but since I do not need it I would prefer a device without if possible. I compiled this short list of options and I would love to here more suggestions and opinions. In general I would prefer a second hand product if possible.
  • Hegel HD30 (as soon as I win the lottery, sure)
  • PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell (not cheap, a used one is around 1200€, not sure if I am actually willing to pay that much)
  • Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus (around 300€, cheapest solution. Some people say the knob is wack and not nice)
  • Parasound (so many options, not sure which would be best for me)
  • Topping (again, so many options...)
I would be thankful for some information on the last 3 brands, which give the best performance for my needs? And, which product to take?

pma

Major Contributor
  • Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus (around 300€, cheapest solution. Some people say the knob is wack and not nice)
I have had this unit since December 2016, daily use, not a smallest problem. Also no problem with the knob. Yes, it is made from plastics.

Ken Rockwell's review
https://kenrockwell.com/audio/cambridge/dacmagic-plus.htm

and also by @amirm
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-cambridge-dacmagic-plus.6887/

The sound is very good, detailed, natural, not over-bright. I appreciate 2 fiber optic inputs.

Reactions: PSO

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some examples of the best "Highest measured DAC with XLR and volume knob" (not counting Linux support, you have to read up on that)

1608057607810.png

Sorted by price:
1608057804404.png

earlevel

Very happy with my Topping DX7 Pro. If I absolutely didn't want the headphone amp, I'd be tempted by the D90, but I'd miss having the volume knob (and you did request a volume knob). Heck, if I had to rebuy tomorrow but without wanting a headphone amp, I'd probably still buy the same. I'm using the XLRs to drive powered monitors (iLoud MTM). Right now I only need the USB in, and it works great with my Mac, sleeping and waking just right. It's nice to have the AES and optical, as I do have gear that could use it—perfect i/o setup in general for me.

Bob-23

Hey there,
Since the sole source is my computer (as I use EQs there) I am looking for a device that works as a USB Dac, has a nice and sturdy volume knob and an XLR output to the Amp. Must work with Linux. I noticed that many also include a headphone amp, but since I do not need it I would prefer a device without if possible. I compiled this short list of options and I would love to here more suggestions and opinions. In general I would prefer a second hand product if possible.
  • PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell (not cheap, a used one is around 1200€, not sure if I am actually willing to pay that much)
I would be thankful for some information on the last 3 brands, which give the best performance for my needs? And, which product to take?

A dual rca to xlr adapter might widen the range of your choice:
https://www.amazon.com/Tisino-Split...ca+to+xlr+adapter+cable&qid=1608063008&sr=8-3

I use an even 'cheaper' Behringer UMC204HD, as a dac completely sufficient, (apparently) robust build (note: output voltage is 1,1 V). You may find it from time to time on amazon marketplace at a reduced price. Includes an adc and an headamp, both not as good as the dac. (Don't be too impressed by the better measurements of other dacs - if I may exaggerate a bit: they all sound the same). Build quality, longevity may differ.

Amir tested it twice:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...04hd-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-review.2013/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ringer-umc204-hd-audio-interface-review.9856/
Note: "I seemed to recall the output voltage was lower when I first tested it. So I dialed down the input by 3 dB and performance hugely improved"

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there,
How about a Motu M2 or M4? (if you don't need a remote)

EdW

Check out @amirm review here before spending your money here

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-the-ps-audio-stellar-gain-cell-dac.9273/

rather less than stellar performance :)
A requirement for a rotary volume control does restrict your choices. For example if you were prepared to spend the same money as the secondhand PS audio DAC you could consider the Okto Research DAC

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/okto-dac8-stereo-dac-review.14705/

which is one of the finest DACs on the market at any price - but no rotary volume control :(

DACs have advanced so much in the last year or two that an older DAC design underperforms and is overpriced versus a newer offering. For this reason secondhand DACs may not be a very competitive

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 DAC is a great option - it has a remote, good headphone amp and can even do 5 band parametric EQ for your speakers and separately for headphones plus a bunch of other useful and unique features like crossfeed, loudness, etc.

If you plan to add a subwoofer to your setup you should consider MiniDSP SHD as a DAC, EQ and subwoofer crossover.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
No, but pretty good for ~$200, did you see some of the DACs the OP was considering?
Your totally right, but it's not in the top quarter, and my examples was. I'm lusting after the M2 or perhaps M4 to replace a lot of cables and the current mixer in my signal chain, lowering the noise floor. The Behringer Xenix QX1202USB Mixer is cheap and functional, but not close to silent.

My current setup
For music listening , games and general usage :

Windows PC -> USB -> Swissonic HAD-1 -> RCA -> Behringer Xenix QX1202USB Mixer -> Fluid Audio F5 (XLR) & H&K TS-7 Sub (RCA)

For "making" music:

Windows PC (DAW) USB -> Yamaha MODX6 -> 1/4" jack -> Behringer HD400 -> balanced 1/4" jack -> Behringer Xenix QX1202USB Mixer -> Fluid Audio F5 (XLR) & H&K TS-7 Sub (RCA)

With the MOTU M2/M4:

For music listening , games and general usage :

Windows PC -> USB -> MOTU M2 -> Balanced 1/4" jack -> Fluid Audio F5 (XLR) & H&K TS-7 Sub

For making music:

Windows PC (DAW) -> USB MIDI, Audio and data -> Yamaha MODX6 -> 1/4" jack -> Behringer HD400 -> balanced 1/4" jack -> MOTU M2

Windows PC (DAW) -> USB -> MOTU M2 -> Balanced 1/4" jack -> Fluid Audio F5 (XLR) & H&K TS-7 Sub (RCA)

Last edited:

TchErNoB

what about the gustard X16 ?
it s balanced not so high in price and with remarquable mesures

Top Bottom