• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC with physical output selection switch?

OP
A

ansx

@GGroch : wow this one is stunning! I also love the form factor.
@Dana reed : it would be a decent contender if it had a physical switch. I spend my days working in virtual machines/remote desktops which all mask keyboard presses from my host OS in a different way, hence my inability to use a software solution.

I am wondering which is the better option given that I don't have the speakers yet:
  • DAC such as SMSL T1 + powered speakers
  • DAC Amp such as Topping VX1 + passive speakers
Internal sound cards are not possible because of my computer's form factor (Mini ITX) and lack of available PCIe slots.
I don't need an headphone amp as my Sennheiser HD555 are easy to drive: they are currently plugged directly into the integrated sound card and work decently this way... minus the crazy amount of noise.

OP
A

ansx

Findings out which DAC Amps have the headphone output active (as a passthrough) while they are off is harder than I expected.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you have the tools, unbalanced switched is not hard to DIY, otherwise just use a Y-split for DAC line out.

dropbear

@ansx, Topping MX3 Pro has this and you control it via remote. You can get it under 200$.

By the way, kudos for your requirement, I cannot even say how disappointed I am when I see DAC/AMP without a manual output selection (I find the chance of accidentally blow up the speakers because of a high volume I would have the device set to when listening to power hungry headphones much lower when I can unplug them and then I "have to" switch the output than knowing it is end immediately when I unplug the jack).

Last edited:
OP
A

ansx

I just found out about the "new" Topping TP32, the TP32EX+.
It seems to have everything I'm looking for, including a more powerful amp than previous versions and a more modern USB implementation.
At $120 on both AliExpress and Parts-Express it feels like the best option.
Bonus point: it has 2 volume levels, one for speakers and one for headphones.

Dana reed

Are your speakers powered or passive? Some of the products you were considering had preouts for speakers but this TP32 only has output for passive speakers.

OP
A

ansx

I only have headphones right now, planning to buy the right speakers after I pick a DAC/DAC Amp.
Currently considering the KLH Ames to go with the Topping TP32EX+.
They look like the best small-size passive alternative but I am open to suggestions.

Dana reed

Ha, I didn’t know KLH speakers were being made again. I have a pair of 900B 3-way bookshelves from the 90’s. Those have a similar sensitivity but lower extension with 8 inch woofers. I guess if it’s an office you won’t need that much wattage, but that topping amp has 10% THD+N at 70 watts.
**edit** you can get a pair of Yamaha powered monitors for similar price as the klh passives.

Last edited:
OP
A

ansx

Yes it is an office, I don't expect to ever use it over 50% volume.
Do you think the choice of speakers make sense or are they complete overkill?
Any suggestion for really small speakers to pair with the TP32EX+?

Last edited:

dropbear

If you want to buy passive speakers, then I recommend MX3 Pro. More importantly, it looks like TP32EX+ is an obsolete part, not mentioning that they market its headphone out as pre-out...by that logic and math, literally 100% of devices with headphone output have pre-out.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got another DAC/Preamp/Headphone amp for you with a physical headphone/preamp out button. The triangular Loxjie D10 at a bit below $130.

At first not only the shape, but the location of the cable inputs and controls seems quite odd. But a review that should be out soon points out that if you normally use just 1 pair of headphones (so you do not unplug your headphones frequently), then this shape, oriented with the cable connections facing backwards and the control buttons on the right, actually works well. It has buttons to control volume, source, and headphone/preamp output...and the reviewer says that once you get used to where the controls are, they work well without having to look each time.

dropbear

That is a seriously cool little box, I would even go as far as saying that it is so funky the SMSL 10th must be made by them, as well!

DjBobby

SMSL M9 has a tripple switch between headphones, pre-amp and fixed line out.
Burson Playmate can switch between hp and pre-amp out.
Topping DX7s has switchable hp and pre-amp out as well.

OP
A

ansx

@dropbear : why the MX3 Pro instead of the TP32EX+?
I see very little differences between the two.
Why do you say the TP32EX+ is obsolete? I think the TP32EX is but not the "+" version, which as far as I can see didn't even ship yet.
From the specs I would say that the TP32EX+ is a better amp but the MX3 Pro is a better headphone amp, don't you think?

@GGroch : looks cool! I'll keep this one in mind if I decide to go the "powered speakers" route.

Last edited:
OP
A

ansx

@DjBobby : thanks for the suggestion, they all look amazing but are sadly way over my budget.

OP
A

ansx

Yes but now the best price I can find is $400+!
The SMSL M6 or T1 are still my best option if I decide to go the powered speakers route I think.

OP
A

ansx

In case anybody is looking for the same thing as me I also found the Tempotec Serenade iDSD as a DAC/Headphone amp.
Can't find much information about it but the hardware specs look good.

Sin Hizer

Two DAC/Headphone Amps I own that do this (sort of) are:

SMSL M6 - This has a single electronic multi-function switch, pushing it to the right switches between the headphone output (1/4") and the line outs. The line outs are fixed volume...not adjustable. You control headphone volume by pushing the multi-function switch up and down.

Sabaj D4 - Switching between the Headphone Output and Variable Line Output is done with front capacitive switches. The Headphone/Line selection is a menu choice, so it takes a couple of presses to get there. The D4 comes with a remote control that duplicates all functions. DACS with variable line out and remote are rare.

I think both are good DACs, and probably measure a lot better than the Micca. On the other hand, my huge collection of cheap DACs includes the Micca and it is a really useful form factor...hard to beat a large top mounted physical volume control for quick access.

How does the Micca sound compared to some of your better measuring DACs? Is there an audible difference? The ONLY reason I haven’t bought the Origen G2 is due to the measurements here (which Amir could have just got a bad sample of one). I am looking for the exact same functionality as the OP.

Top Bottom