• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC with Equaliser and/or Room Correction.

pastorbarrett

Looking for an affordable DAC with EQ to use in my 2.1 set-up. In short, I'm trying to tame a nasty 50hz mode as simply as possible without breaking the bank. Mostly use Chromecast audio and Spotify.

In my research thus far I've found the RME units which look nice but expensive. Mini-DSP 2x4HD (potentially with DIRAC too) is another feasible possibility. I've also seen the HifiBerry DAC + DSP which seems to tick all the boxes and is cheap-ish, though I've zero experience with Rasberry Pi's/ REW and an overt preference to listen rather than tinker. Am I missing a better, more straight forward solution here?

Many thanks for any advice.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Driverack Venu360 - a box from the "pro" world. But only accepts aes digital input, and only balanced xlr output. If that works for you, it ticks all your boxes! It has a "room eq" feature that actually works very well. I only use it the bass below schroeder though.

But still, I would say the minidsp unit is a better solution for most people's needs. More input/output, and you can stream directly to the device.

LF78

I also have a 2.1 setup with Chomecast audio as my single source, and I use MiniDSP 2x4HD (connected with optical Toslink). I'm pretty satisfied, even if in terms of measurements for sure there's better stuff on the market: the problem with a 2.1 setup it's that you need a DAC with 3 or 4 channels, and they're not really popular (or using two DACs, but then you have to make sure to drive them in sync).

OP
P

pastorbarrett

Many thanks. TBH, I may ditch the sub due to space constraints, so 2.0 solutions also welcome. The 2X4HD does seem like a nice small neat solution, probably simplest and most cost effective.

OP
P

pastorbarrett

Yes, the C-658 is an interesting product and had come on my radar. It'd be a nice one to see on Amirm's bench eventually.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Looking for an affordable DAC with EQ to use in my 2.1 set-up. In short, I'm trying to tame a nasty 50hz mode as simply as possible without breaking the bank.
Room placement changes, have you experimented with different sub positions?

OP
P

pastorbarrett

Room placement changes, have you experimented with different sub positions?

Unfortunately limited in respect of placement as it's primarily a living space. I've moved the sub where possible and the problem remains to some degree.

I think I'll go with the Mini-DSP - for me it seems it fits the bill in terms of ease of use and low cost. Thanks all!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Unfortunately limited in respect of placement as it's primarily a living space. I've moved the sub where possible and the problem remains to some degree.

I think I'll go with the Mini-DSP - for me it seems it fits the bill in terms of ease of use and low cost. Thanks all!

I'm going to say something completely unscientific here:

I've found the digital IO versions of MiniDSP to be just fine, but the DAC versions, subjectively to me, seemed to have analog sections less-good than the better DACs I've heard. It didn't sound 'bad', it just didn't seem as good as the better DACs I've heard, mainly in the area of dynamics.

Caveat: not blind tested, could be all in my head, etc.

Last edited:

SiW

I'm going to say something completely unscientific here:

I've found the digital IO versions of MiniDSP to be just fine, but the DAC versions, subjectively to me, seemed to have analog sections less-good than the better DACs I've heard. It didn't sound 'bad', it just wasn't seem as good as the better DACs I've heard, mainly in the area of dynamics.

Caveat: not blind tested, could be all in my head, etc.

Are you referring to the nanoDIGI being good?

I have a NanoDIGI but can’t find a 6 channel DAC with a master clock for all channels for reasonable money, so I have a number of the same model 2 channel DACs to use with it. As it’s spdif I assume the NanoDIGI will be the ‘master clock’ for the all the DACs.

Any thoughts on which DAC is best to use with it?

Simon

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could run Dirac as software on the PC (which is what I used), or use a player plug-in with parametric EQ. Otherwise the minidsp seems like the right solution to me.

Is your stereo setup a subset of your surround/HT setup? Mine is and I am having a hard time figuring out how to do room EQ that works for both.

EDIT: I am aware of the miniDSP 8 channel units, but i'd prefer to avoid so much additional wiring. I didn't think about this when I bough the Integra processor as I could have looked into buying one that with Dirac integration.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is your stereo setup a subset of your surround/HT setup?
No, I have a completely different system. Mixing them becomes challenging.

BTW, dirac makes a multi-channel correction software for the PC as well as stereo. It is very expensive though.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I have a completely different system.

What is your room eq solution for your HT?

BTW, dirac makes a multi-channel correction software for the PC

I guess you would use an HTPC to take advantage of this?

Dirac Live site is annoying me - I can't find pricing information.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Are you referring to the nanoDIGI being good?

I have a NanoDIGI but can’t find a 6 channel DAC with a master clock for all channels for reasonable money, so I have a number of the same model 2 channel DACs to use with it. As it’s spdif I assume the NanoDIGI will be the ‘master clock’ for the all the DACs.

Any thoughts on which DAC is best to use with it?

Simon

I have no experience with the NanoDIGI.

My only experiences are with the OpenDRC line:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I used a KRK Ergo to do this. This was only option for me as a dac for many years. Has a crossover built in. All outputs are 1/4” balanced.
It requires FireWire to calibrate the Lyngdorf Room Perfect DRC. But once calibrated is a stand alone monitor controller with 2.2 outputs. Accepts SPDIF coax. Also can apply DRC and crossover to analog inputs. Uses a PGA 4 channel volume controller.
Saw one on eBay. I have several laying around also.
It is usable wih current Mac and a TB to FW adapter. Works fine with latest software..

Eurasian

Forum Donor
Driverack Venu360 - a box from the "pro" world. But only accepts aes digital input, and only balanced xlr output. If that works for you, it ticks all your boxes! It has a "room eq" feature that actually works very well. I only use it the bass below schroeder though.

But still, I would say the minidsp unit is a better solution for most people's needs. More input/output, and you can stream directly to the device.

The Venu360 will accept balanced or se analog and comes with a remote tablet app and automated room correction. I use one every day with my Sanders/InnerSound rig. Agree that minidsp may be the better solution unless you also need the dbx's extensive crossover, limiter, etc. functionality.

Top Bottom