• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC with Equaliser and/or Room Correction.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
@amirm can you get into detail of how you set it up on PC? Use the software to adjust the sound output in the pc to usb DAC?
I have no clue if a compatible hardware (DAC/amp/AVR with Dirac built-in) is needed in this case, or the software + mỉcrophone only?
Thanks
Source of music is stored files.
Playback using music player software on PC (This is where Dirac lives and works)
Output via USB or LAN to DAC

veeceem

Source of music is stored files.
Playback using music player software on PC (This is where Dirac lives and works)
Output via USB or LAN to DAC
But the last time I asked Dirac (few days ago), they told me that Dirac on PC/laptop and used it as a processor and output to DAC is no longer available?
They told me that to use Dirac, the only way is to buy a hardware-implemented-piece, such as NAD preamp, miniDPS DAC, Emotiva AVR ect....
I'm confused

digicidal

Major Contributor
But the last time I asked Dirac (few days ago), they told me that Dirac on PC/laptop and used it as a processor and output to DAC is no longer available?
They told me that to use Dirac, the only way is to buy a hardware-implemented-piece, such as NAD preamp, miniDPS DAC, Emotiva AVR ect....
I'm confused

That's what it's looked like to me as well. However, when I indicated this opinion a while back I was informed that was not the case. Can you post the exact response from them? I've been holding off for some time due to a belief that the removal of a dedicated PC version was temporary and they were definitely NOT removing that completely from the market... would be nice to know if that's in error and I no longer have that option. :(

veeceem

That's what it's looked like to me as well. However, when I indicated this opinion a while back I was informed that was not the case. Can you post the exact response from them? I've been holding off for some time due to a belief that the removal of a dedicated PC version was temporary and they were definitely NOT removing that completely from the market... would be nice to know if that's in error and I no longer have that option. :(
It is confirmed by them, I asked multiple questions related to using a PC/laptop as processor. And they DID reply that for now, you have to run Dirac on a host (an implemented-hardware like AVR/DAC/Preamp). So I'm stucked. Paradigm PW Link doesnt perform good, miniDPS is not available here... ect... other option like NAD\Emotiva preamp/dac are expensive, and doesnt perform that good, also :|

digicidal

Major Contributor
It is confirmed by them, I asked multiple questions related to using a PC/laptop as processor. And they DID reply that for now, you have to run Dirac on a host (an implemented-hardware like AVR/DAC/Preamp). So I'm stucked. Paradigm PW Link doesnt perform good, miniDPS is not available here... ect... other option like NAD\Emotiva preamp/dac are expensive, and doesnt perform that good, also :|
Well, I guess if it's any consolation... we're in that boat together. I think I'll likely have to settle with the miniDSP SHD - I say "settle" not because I think it's not a good device... just that is doesn't tick all of my I/O option needs nor most of my aesthetic/UI wants. ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It is confirmed by them, I asked multiple questions related to using a PC/laptop as processor. And they DID reply that for now, you have to run Dirac on a host (an implemented-hardware like AVR/DAC/Preamp).
Yes, for now, that is the case. OTOH, the betas of the new PC-based version continue to evolve and one can access them if you are a bit adventurous.

SmoothR

Hi guys! I'm looking for a DAC with Analog and Digital in (USB) and xlr outputs with a good and simple automatic Room eQ. I found a solution, the MiniDSP SHD, but the problem is, it's too wide... It should have a size like the DSPeaker AM 2.0 which I own, actually. It's old gear and I think there are audibly better devices out there. Thx in advance!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys! I'm looking for a DAC with Analog and Digital in (USB) and xlr outputs with a good and simple automatic Room eQ. I found a solution, the MiniDSP SHD, but the problem is, it's too wide... It should have a size like the DSPeaker AM 2.0 which I own, actually. It's old gear and I think there are audibly better devices out there. Thx in advance!
Maybe a normal DAC, an UMIK-1 and doing the measurements with REW? Would have greater flexibility.

SmoothR

Thank you. I'm not "familiar" with REW, I'm using CARMA for any kind of measurements. If I'm right, I don't have the opportunity to "load" the corrected files in the DAC, directly, so I need a PC? I want to connect my vinyl player also, of course with a corrected eQ. The DSPeaker is really good if you have an analog and digital device.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
You might just stick with what you have. Not familiar with the features of DSPeaker 2.0 but it may be nearly as effective as other options.
I find DRC is very dependent on the speakers. Quit using it because a better (newer dac) interface without DRC seemed more dynamic and clear.
Changed speakers and after a year hooked up the old dac and Room Perfect made a large improvement. The Focusrite Clarett 4Pre is a better dac. But DRC in this case offsets the bit depth and resolution differences.
The software solutions like Dirac become tied up by the OS software updates. They usually get tired of throwing good money after a while. Same thing with drivers.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor

I think the minidsp SHD power and SHD studio are a smaller form factor if that helps with different feature sets

digicidal

Major Contributor
I think the minidsp SHD power and SHD studio are a smaller form factor if that helps with different feature sets

The studio is quite a bit smaller indeed, but it's digital only and that's a bit of a sticking point for him since the target source (at least much of the time) is to be vinyl. Honestly I think you should either stick with what you've got... or get over the idea of needing a half-rack or less sized component. Especially considering the vinyl source... you could use an AVR/AVP and have everything in one box. Heresy I know... but it's not like you're going to miss out on anything since even a crap processor will beat the performance of the very best turntables by a wide margin. Now digital performance won't be as good as a SOTA DAC will... but few (if any) will be able to hear that difference anyway.

You could always just stick it (an SHD) behind the rack, hide it completely, and then use an IR beamer to trigger remote functions I suppose. 1st world problems and all. ;)

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
The studio is quite a bit smaller indeed, but it's digital only and that's a bit of a sticking point for him since the target source (at least much of the time) is to be vinyl. Honestly I think you should either stick with what you've got... or get over the idea of needing a half-rack or less sized component.

You could always just stick it behind the rack, hide it completely, and then use an IR beamer to trigger remote functions I suppose. 1st world problems and all. ;)

My gear is in a closet and racked with all IR gear - it has the additional benefit of no lights for home theater and no fans from certain gear like pro amps for subs, I concur - if you want the SHD, figure it out!

digicidal

Major Contributor
My gear is in a closet and racked with all IR gear - it has the additional benefit of no lights for home theater and no fans from certain gear like pro amps for subs, I concur - if you want the SHD, figure it out!
I'm working on that... if I can ever find enough time to finish venting and ducting my closet that is. Again... 1st world problems.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
If you will forgo eq, for room correction. Another cheap option would be a Paradigm pw-link with ARC room correction, run in the digital domain, attached via optical to any one of the high performing cheap dacs available today. That would provide you with analogue in.

Last edited:

SmoothR

Hey guys, thank you very much for the information! I think I leave my gear as it is right now. Eventually, MiniDSP release a device with analogue and digital inputs with a smaller form factor. Btw, I love to see my components, I don't want to hide them :)

TimW

Major Contributor
Hey guys, thank you very much for the information! I think I leave my gear as it is right now. Eventually, MiniDSP release a device with analogue and digital inputs with a smaller form factor. Btw, I love to see my components, I don't want to hide them :)

You could stack a an RME ADI-2 FS on top of the SHD Studio to get an Analog input with excellent specs. That would cost more than an SHD but you would probably end up with theoretically better performance. Then you need a DAC as well though. I'm not sure if the ADI-2 FS can operate as an ADC and DAC simultaneously but if so, that gives you two channels of analog output.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
A dbx venu360 takes analog or digital in and can manage crossovers and multiple subs.

Top Bottom