• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC with digital volume control or adjustable gain and TOSLINK input?

Dogen

Forum Donor
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, well measuring DAC with these features? I’d like to reduce the gain going to my DarkVoice amp. Thanks!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Topping D30. The DAC reads the windows volume control to control output. $120. I have one and like it.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
Thanks! Does it upsample prior to adjusting the volume to avoid signal degradation? I would be feeding it 16/44 data only.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm curious what your entire chain is

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
iTunes on iMac—> AirPlay —> Airport Express —> optical output —> DAC (currently Topping D3) —> Darkvoice 336se —> Sennheiser 6xx ‘phones. The gain from the amp doesn’t let me go beyond a couple of ticks on the dial I could try an in-line attenuator before the amp, or a DAC that could transparently reduce volume.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Does it upsample prior to adjusting the volume to avoid signal degradation? I would be feeding it 16/44 data only.

IIUC it processes in 32 bit, so attenuation of up to 96db will still leave you with Redbook+ quality signal.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
IIUC it processes in 32 bit, so attenuation of up to 96db will still leave you with Redbook+ quality signal.

Perfect! Just what I’m looking for. Thanks andreasmaaan.

Top Bottom