• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC with balanced speaker output w/ headphone output

railthe

Hello, I would like to ask for tips on a good USB (or at least SPDI/F) DAC for my Kalis LP-8, into which I could easily plug headphones. I don't need amplification, since I am using Shure SRH-440. I am not saying I wouldn't like to upgrade them too (and get a DAC with headphone AMP), but I don't know about a good alternative. These served really well and the longer I have them, the better they play (is that even possible?).

I thought about something like Loxjie D30, but it has no balanced out which I was recommended to purchase due to minor buzzing issues (when my PC, which is the source, is under load). Which alternatives in <$200 range would you recommend? I kinda liked the Khadas Tone 2 Pro, but I suppose these balanced RCA cables are some proprietary Khadas thing.

Summary:

DAC
balanced output for speakers
headphone output (in front?)
USB input (or SPDI/F)
headphone amp?

Thanks guys :)

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If your willing to go with an unbalanced connection, Schiit Fulla 3 ($100).

Vict0r

I needed the exact same thing and bought a Motu M4. It does everything you listed, and then some. :) Bought mine second hand for EUR 150.

OP
R

railthe

I talked to my colleague who is a bit more educated in audio science. He told me, that not even balanced connection will solve my buzzing issue. The buzz actually "becomes a part of the outgoing signal" due to high currents running through my motherboard. No matter what I do, it will be there during loads.

I dont think there is a way to use my PC as a source of high definition audio, unless I only use it for simple tasks while playing music. I didnt realize that optical output is actually "digitalized" using on board audio, so it wont be good as well. Maybe a soundcard would be sufficient, but I want a dedicated solution, which would be usable in other situations too.

Vict0r

I talked to my colleague who is a bit more educated in audio science. He told me, that not even balanced connection will solve my buzzing issue. The buzz actually "becomes a part of the outgoing signal" due to high currents running through my motherboard. No matter what I do, it will be there during loads.

I dont think there is a way to use my PC as a source of high definition audio, unless I only use it for simple tasks while playing music. I didnt realize that optical output is actually "digitalized" using on board audio, so it wont be good as well. Maybe a soundcard would be sufficient, but I want a dedicated solution, which would be usable in other situations too.

Nopey nope! My chain looks like this:

Gaming PC built around a MSI B550 motherboard > USB-C out > Motu M4 > iLoud MTM active monitors (M4 balanced speaker out) & Sennheiser HD600 (M4 headphone out).

No buzzing. No ground loop. I wouldn't say it's dead quiet, since active speakers always have a little self noise, but that's normal.

twsecrest

I don't think there is a way to use my PC as a source of high definition audio, unless I only use it for simple tasks while playing music. I didn't realize that optical output is actually "digitalized" using on board audio, so it wont be good as well. Maybe a soundcard would be sufficient, but I want a dedicated solution, which would be usable in other situations too.
Chances are the "buzzy" noise is analog (wave), which is a post DAC noise.
Some part of the analog audio signal chain (post DAC chip)is picking up the electrical noise.
Sending the digital audio signal out of the computer case (USB, S/PDIF optical/coaxial) before the signal is changed to analog, should help reduce or remove the buzzy sound.
The audio of a digital (zero & ones) signal can not be changed or modified into something else by the electrical noise generated inside the computer case. The electrical noise might stop a few zero and ones of the digital signal from traveling thru the digital connection (sound is removed). But not add noise (buzzing).
Ask your colleague if his logic applies to both analog and digital signals?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think that is true. The outgoing USB signal is digital, the noise from your motherboard does not change the digital signal. If you break the ground connection between your PC and DAC, then there is no way for the noise to travel from your PC to your DAC.

I encountered this problem myself when I upgraded my desktop monitors to ones with a safetly ground connection (I had no issues with my previous monitors which lacked a ground connection). I solved the issue by introducing a cheap USB islolator between my PC and DAC...

Nobsound USB to USB Isolator Module Audio Noise: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

OP
R

railthe

Ahh, sorry, I mentioned that in another post and not here - it happens when I use Apple USB-C dongle. When I use internal soundcard output, the sound is not that good obviously, but there is no buzz. So obviously the USB-C/DAC is affected, and that makes sense, cause it is really short and close to the USB port. Using a longer cable could actually solve the issue indeed. Good point there, thanks!

Top Bottom