• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC with a good preamplifier 500€

jaro911

Hello.
I would like to ask for your advice. I'm looking for a balanced DAC with a good preamplifier function, which I would connect directly to my final amplifier with an XLR cable. Price level around €500.
My candidates are:
- SMSL M500mk3
- SMSL SU 9 Pro

Thank you.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Any will be fine... There is no 'best' one. There could be a 'better choice' one based on functionality, connectivity, looks, ease of use, price, availability.
Sound-wise they will be indistinguishable from each other.
Which amplifier (or input sensitivity data) ?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Please switch off your auto translator. You may think you’re posting in English but you’re not.

Thanks!

OP
J

jaro911

I'm currently using a Topping E30 rca to xlr in the power amplifier and in preamplifier mode it sounds worse than a direct dac that's why I'm asking if these dacs have a better quality preamplifier.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm currently using a Topping E30 rca to xlr in the power amplifier and in preamplifier mode it sounds worse than a direct dac that's why I'm asking if these dacs have a better quality preamplifier.

I think any degradation in audio quality is more likely to be due to RCA to XLR conversion, rather than the pre-amplifier capability of the E30.

In any case, I use a Topping EX5 as both a headphone amplifier and balanced pre-amplifier for my active monitors and it works extremely well in this roll.

Top Bottom