• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC : what choice in 2023 for a small budget?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes i have an iPhone. So do you think i should change hi-res music offer (switch to Qobuz or Tidal), or at first keep Apple Music ?
Keep whichever has the music you like and the best interface for enjoying it. Hi-Res music offers no difference in sound quality.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone. I’m looking for a DAC to do this job : I have an old but fantastic hi-fi system (Cabasse Cotre / Yamaha R-S700). I want to listen my Apple Music library in ALAC format from my iPhone. I would like a transparent but optimum sound quality DAC. And moreover, I can’t spend more than 400€. I’m lost in the DAC world, don’t know about chipset qualities. I saw affordable products from Yamaha (maybe it could be good to plug Yamaha in Yamaha amp?).
What can you advise me? Thanks! Paul.
Topping D10 or similar.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes i have an iPhone. So do you think i should change hi-res music offer (switch to Qobuz or Tidal), or at first keep Apple Music ?
Do you want to stream file's you already have on your phone (local streaming) because you gave us such impression? If you want to use streaming online services that WiiM Mini support among which is not Apple music follow the setup video guide on their web page:
For now you can use WiiM's DAC to connect it to amplifier. Some (most) of streaming services will work trough WiiM's app other will require their own app trough which they will contact to WiiM one. It's not that hard as it may look. Start with free one's like radios and one's with commercials without paid subscription like Spotify among supposed one's.

OP
P

Paulbi

Do you want to stream file's you already have on your phone (local streaming) because you gave us such impression? If you want to use streaming online services that WiiM Mini support among which is not Apple music follow the setup video guide on their web page:
For now you can use WiiM's DAC to connect it to amplifier. Some (most) of streaming services will work trough WiiM's app other will require their own app trough which they will contact to WiiM one. It's not that hard as it may look. Start with free one's like radios and one's with commercials without paid subscription like Spotify among supposed one's.
Yes i would like to stream from my iPhone the Apple Music online library (I have no files downloaded on the phone). So I’ll try this week with WiiM as you explained. I should receive it on Thursday or Friday. I’ll let you know. Many thanks for your help!

Top Bottom