• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC use question

LouB

I'm new at this & trying to figure out a few things I did a search but didn't really find much on my question.
Which is, I'm getting a Marantz PM8006 (no DAC) I'm also looking at CD players in the 400-600 dollar range.
What I'm looking to do with digital music is plug in a phone/ipod & possibly a music streaming device. Some of CD players have what seem like like good DAC's bulit in & have a USB input that says it supports a thumb drives. If that USB port would accept a phone or a streamer & run the file through it's DAC I don't think I'd need a separate DAC, am I looking at correctly ?
Thanks
Lou

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm new at this & trying to figure out a few things I did a search but didn't really find much on my question.
Which is, I'm getting a Marantz PM8006 (no DAC) I'm also looking at CD players in the 400-600 dollar range.
What I'm looking to do with digital music is plug in a phone/ipod & possibly a music streaming device. Some of CD players have what seem like like good DAC's bulit in & have a USB input that says it supports a thumb drives. If that USB port would accept a phone or a streamer & run the file through it's DAC I don't think I'd need a separate DAC, am I looking at correctly ?
Thanks
Lou
Its unlikely the USB socket on the CD will allow connection of player devices - if it says thumb drive it likely means the unit has some kind of player software for local (or usb attached) files, possibly for networked attached files too.

But for years you have been able to get network connected dvd/ blu ray players (that of course play CDs) that will enable you to install streaming apps and control through a visual interface on your tv.

Another cost effective option for streaming (if the PM8006 has enough analog inputs ) is get the CD player and also an inexpensive streaming dongle like the WiiM mini https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-review-streamer.33099/

Admittedly, the analog out of the Wiim isnt state of the art performance- but if you got a cheap dac to go (Topping D10 for example)with it and used the optical out to that, then analog out of the dac to the marantz you would be getting very good performance.

If the CD player does allow other devices to connect to it, then you are correct, all of the above goes away, but I think its unlikely

OP
L

LouB

Thanks, that helps narrow down the CD player choice not worrying about a USB input. It was a toss up between the Marantz & Cambridge Audio CXA81 which has a DAC & better inputs XLR ect. but no tone control so I'm going Marantz. It seems you can get a good DAC for under 150 bucks so that's pretty minor cost for good sound when looking at a 5K system.

Top Bottom