• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac upgrade help

JediMa

Hello,
I need your help because I want to replace my SMSL M8A dac. I live in Italy (so few brands are not easy to get over here..) and the budget is 200 euros
My current setup with my desktop PC is:
  1. DAC: SMSL M8a
  2. AMP. Meier Jazz Corda
  3. Headphones: Hifiman HE-560 - Sennheiser HD600 - Meze 99 Classics - AKG K712 Pro - V-MODA Crossfade M-100 - Fostex T50R
Any help is extremely welcome!

Thnk you :)

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Oh I didn't know it :( so with what I should upgrade it please?

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
JediMa

JediMa

About Amp I can spend more and i was thinking bout SMSL SP200 that's 259 on amazon.it. But amp wasn't a priority.. dac somehow yes

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
But amp wasn't a priority.. dac somehow yes
Why? The DAC you have is good enough, unless there is some function you're missing. What's wrong with your DAC?

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Why? The DAC you have is good enough, unless there is some function you're missing. What's wrong with your DAC?
Well it sounds well but I think that I can improve the sound quality

Eetu

Forum Donor
Well it sounds well but I think that I can improve the sound quality
Yeah I was just about to say the same:
I haven't seen any M8A measurements but if the specs are correct (THD+N 0.0003% -110dB, Dynamic Range 123dB) it's likely that there's very very little, if anything, to gain audibly by upgrading. Is there a specific reason you're looking for a new DAC? The SMSL M300 mkII measures pretty great but is closer to 300..

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Yeah I was just about to say the same:
I haven't seen any M8A measurements but if the specs are correct (THD+N 0.0003% -110dB, Dynamic Range 123dB) it's likely that there's very very little, if anything, to gain audibly by upgrading. Is there a specific reason you're looking for a new DAC? The SMSL M300 mkII measures pretty great but is closer to 300..
It doesnt sound so good to me, maybe I'm using the wrong cables or I don't know, when I play music with my FiiO M9 sounds better so I was trying to find out where's the problem with my desktop setup

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... improve the sound quality

To do that and save you money (or cost you money), let's talk about speakers (headphones)...

Also, are you playing mp3 or CD (Redbook) quality music?
Have you selected the best masterings of the albums you like best?

Electronics generally are not going to make much or any improvement in SQ (assuming the amp can drive your speakers/headphones well).

There are a large number of scientific studies on this and while I wouldn't call it robust (as there are some holes that need to filled with experiments, but instead are usually filled with engineering judgement) you would do well to pay attention to that and not to audio salespeople who want to make a profit off of you.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

To do that and save you money (or cost you money), let's talk about speakers (headphones)...

Also, are you playing mp3 or CD (Redbook) quality music?
Have you selected the best masterings of the albums you like best?

Electronics generally are not going to make much or any improvement in SQ (assuming the amp can drive your speakers/headphones well).

There are a large number of scientific studies on this and while I wouldn't call it robust (as there are some holes that need to filled with experiments, but instead are usually filled with engineering judgement) you would do well to pay attention to that and not to audio salespeople who want to make a profit off of you.
I play Flac 16 - 24 bits and Mp3 320 max bitrate, and many CD that I play with my Onkyo cd player
About best albums ,i think i collected the best version of my fav music (specially classic) except for my absolute fav band, Led Zeppelin, where also remastered version sound not so good (1,6 Gb Led Zeppelin 2..)

About my headphones I have Hifiman HE-560 - Sennheiser HD600 - Meze 99 Classics - AKG K712 Pro - V-MODA Crossfade M-100 - Fostex T50R

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But would he better off investing in headphones or amps...

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
OP
JediMa

JediMa

But would he better off investing in headphones or amps...
What about headphones? I mean where I should improve the ones I have?

About amps, I like the sound of the Jazz Corda and specially the croosfade feature but indeed it lacks of power so I thought that instead to replace it , to add a powerful mate, so I just ordered an JDS Atom which seems extremely good and popular here

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
As a DAC I think SMSL M300 MKII is very nice option, price should be around 240$.

Top Bottom