• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC: to upsample or not to upsample?

macauley86

My music library is ripped from CDs at AIFF 44.1 kHz sample rate, playing on a 2013 MacBook Pro running Audirvana through its internal DAC connected to my integrated amp via 3.5mm-to-RCA. I'm also testing a Topping D10 USB DAC with the system.

Is it best practice to disable upsampling in Audirvana, thus using the 44.1 kHz sample rate that matches my source material? Or should I upsample using the power of 2, 4, 8? Or upsample to the DAC's native (max) resolution? Or does it not matter? I have read that upsampling buys you nothing and could introduce quantization noise.

Any advice?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have no choice.

PCM is resampled to 211khz (inside the DAC), take it or leave it.

Vendor claims that was the rate that gave best performance from the DAC chip used..

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Instead of offering my opinion, I will recommend that you try all this, since you can, and decide for yourself.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My opinion would be to use native sample rates.

Like Kal, I'd suggest you pick a couple or three songs and try it for yourself. I don't think there is any advantage in 2x, 4x, 8x rates vs an uneven one with software now.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it best practice to disable upsampling in Audirvana, thus using the 44.1 kHz sample rate that matches my source material? Or should I upsample using the power of 2, 4, 8? Or upsample to the DAC's native (max) resolution? Or does it not matter? I have read that upsampling buys you nothing and could introduce quantization noise.
I just tried it with my MacBook Pro, FLAC, and Audirvana (see below). The only difference I could hear without doing a DBT was static/distortion when Audirvana used 98%+ CPU trying to achieve device frequency. BTW, I'm using a DX7 Pro. So I have left upsampling deactivated.
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 10.24.42 PM.png

OP
M

macauley86

Instead of offering my opinion, I will recommend that you try all this, since you can, and decide for yourself.

I hear no difference between the Mac's onboard DAC and the D10. I also hear no difference with either DAC whether I enable upsampling or not.

Top Bottom