• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC to pair with Massdrop THX AAA 789 + HD58x

happythoughts

So I caught the last drop in time for the 789. It's my first amp. Right now I'm just listening right from the 3.5 mm jack on my PC. The HD58xs are very nice indeed.

Can you please recommend a DAC to pair with my setup? I am thinking since balanced DACs are so expensive that I can go with unbalanced for now. So I have something to upgrade to later. Price range is around ~$150.

I do have an SPDIF on my motherboard if that matters.

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards the Geshelli ENOG2 Pro. (balanced I know)

Thanks.

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
I ordered an SMSL SU-8; I wanted USB, and the option to use RCAs or XLR connections. I have an Atom and the THX; eventually, I'll figure out what stays and what goes. :)

OP
H

happythoughts

I ordered an SMSL SU-8; I wanted USB, and the option to use RCAs or XLR connections. I have an Atom and the THX; eventually, I'll figure out what stays and what goes. :)

I was looking at the SMSL SU-8 as well. I see it only available on amazon for $250. Do you know the Massdrop pricing when it's available?

USB would be nice too

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
I was looking at the SMSL SU-8 as well. I see it only available on amazon for $250. Do you know the Massdrop pricing when it's available?

USB would be nice too
It's $200 on Massdrop. I'm not sure if shipping is extra. I also am not sure about warranty status via Massdrop. I ordered from Shenzen Audio for $212 shipped.

Music1969

Major Contributor
So I caught the last drop in time for the 789. It's my first amp. Right now I'm just listening right from the 3.5 mm jack on my PC. The HD58xs are very nice indeed.

Can you please recommend a DAC to pair with my setup? I am thinking since balanced DACs are so expensive that I can go with unbalanced for now. So I have something to upgrade to later. Price range is around ~$150.

I do have an SPDIF on my motherboard if that matters.

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards the Geshelli ENOG2 Pro. (balanced I know)

Thanks.

I'm using the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC with the THX 789 amp.

The Pro-Ject DAC had a good review by amir here also.

I use RCA to XLR analogue cables, as recommended by THX Engineer Andrew Mason. Check out the THX 789 thread for Andrew's posts.

Top Bottom