• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac to go with Atom Amp?

Vexed hex

So whats the best dac option these days that would pair with the atom amp preferably under $125?

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor

Darwin

I assume JDS labs is coming out with a dac to match the atom, I'll probably wait to buy until then.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No need, plenty of DAC's out that will work the with Atom fine. There's no extra performance in a matching DAC. Aesthetics will probably be the only thing satisfied with a matching DAC.

OP
V

Vexed hex

Thanks i ordered the topping d10 its only 76 dollars from shenzen audio right now so seems to be best deal at the moment.

AresHarvest

I'm using that same combo at work (Topping D10 and JDS Atom) and it works very well, for a total cost of less than $200.

Darwin

No need, plenty of DAC's out that will work the with Atom fine. There's no extra performance in a matching DAC. Aesthetics will probably be the only thing satisfied with a matching DAC.

Yes aesthetics is what I want.

AresHarvest

If you're stacking, SDAC or D50 are probably good aesthetic matches, since they're slightly smaller than the amp and will look nice on top. If side-by-side, the D10 and Atom pretty much dovetail together.

Honestly though I wouldn't spend anything extra just for looks, since these are all just small black boxes.

AresHarvest

Dx3Pro is a fantastic all-in-one. And it can feed the Atom, if you choose to buy it. Probably the best combo if you want to use the Atom with a bluetooth source.

archangel015

Dx3Pro is a fantastic all-in-one. And it can feed the Atom, if you choose to buy it. Probably the best combo if you want to use the Atom with a bluetooth source.

I have a 6xx and currently using it together as amp but it feels i need a dac. I dont know if i should get an atom and use this as dac or something else?

Darwin

Way too many reports of issues with the DX3Pro and having to send it to China for service doesn't help.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes aesthetics is what I want.
I feel you. I normally don't care too much about aesthetics in audio gear but desktop is an exception since I spend literally thousands of hours per year with it in front of my face while I'm working. So I hope they come out with a matching DAC too... as much as I hate to admit it.

Nabobalis

I have the same question but with a slightly different requirement.

So I have a HD 6xx and ordered the atom but I kept hearing about how tubes make the HD 6xx "sound better".
But I have no intention on getting a specific amp.

So I was wondering if there are DACs that have the ability to set a filter that can affect the sound color/profile to simulate the "tube effect"?

AresHarvest

Way too many reports of issues with the DX3Pro and having to send it to China for service doesn't help.

I've seen your report and a handful of others, which are very few in number compared to those (including myself) who have encountered no issues. Just in case, people should always order from retailers that have a return policy, so that if you encounter an issue you can return it instead of RMA with Topping.

Darwin

I feel you. I normally don't care too much about aesthetics in audio gear but desktop is an exception since I spend literally thousands of hours per year with it in front of my face while I'm working. So I hope they come out with a matching DAC too... as much as I hate to admit it.

Exactly. I assume one is coming.

tired_guru

If you care about reliability, no major design flaws, perfect measurements and low price I could recommend grace sdac or khadas tone board. If you have a bit more aune x1s anniversary + as a bonus you will have great headamp.

Top Bottom