• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC to connect Sony TV to JBL 305P Mk2

yabadaba

Hi, my son gave me a pair of JBL 305P MK2's and I want to use them with my Sony X95J TV until I get a proper home theatre system. I've tried connecting via optical to a Schiit DAC I already have that has XLR outputs and it works BUT the only way I can control volume is via the speakers themselves, or in an optical output level setting that is buried deep in the TV menu. So, what I want is a DAC that has XLR (or TRS) outputs and a pre-amp function with volume adjustable via the remote control. I can see Topping has a few options but all seem quite pricey for an interim solution. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The SMSL D-6 is probably the least expensive DAC with TRS Bal out and a remote. It costs $170.

MCH

Major Contributor
I am selling a topping D30pro that can do what you need and has one of the best SNR in its class. But you need to know that toslink in is a gamble with topping. I think it is ok with tv but not 100%sure.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to maybe get a universal remote that can access the volume on the TV directly without going into menus?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the manual it appears in settings you can select fixed or variable volume. Selecting variable lets you control the volume via the remote. However it isn't clear if this also controls the volume over optical or if optical is still fixed. Just a thought if you haven't tried this.

OP
Y

yabadaba

Looking at the manual it appears in settings you can select fixed or variable volume. Selecting variable lets you control the volume via the remote. However it isn't clear if this also controls the volume over optical or if optical is still fixed. Just a thought if you haven't tried this.
Hi, thanks. I'm familiar with the kind of setting you refer to, but can't see that in the audio or audio output menus on this TV.

Top Bottom