• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac suggestion

Naala

Hi all

Been lurking for a while here reading reviews and opinions etc (among other sites)

i want to start with i am no Audiophile but i love good sound and i love music in general recently i bought the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm
and while looking for dac/amp i found the Beyerdynamic A20 Amp which some say is perfect match for the DT770 some say it is crap and many said its good but not worth 500 euro i found it for 180 euro 2nd hand so i grabbed it now i just need a dac i got TERRIBLE humm sound when feeding the amp from headphone out on motherboard so i went to grab the cheapest DAC i could find and using optical out at the moment its better but not as good as it could be.

i read here that the S.M.S.L SU 8 is basically the best you can basically need in terms of audio quality and we reached a point where most well built dacs are or should be all the same basically i also read that the S.M.S.L SU 9 is basically equal with a better chip and MQA support is that all? what does the chip do and does it really matter?

i also read one guy asking if upgrading from SU 8 to SU9 would be a big upgrade the answer he got (on a different site) was no although the guy who replied did the same upgrade and found it to be more neutral and better soundstage but admitted it could be placebo effect. is this something you guys agree with?

i went to contact shenzhenaudio.com Via the "chat with us" asking the difference between the Topping E30 which many say is great but i dont like how small it is and the SU8 and su9 the reply i got was "the chip, please consider the SU9 now this brought me here because to me that sounds like "please go buy most expansive thing" like many sellers do is the chip Really that big difference?

other dacs ive considered even tho it is way out of my budget is the iFi Audio NEO iDSD

Basically here is what i want
a solid one time set up and forget DAC with USB in (heard thats best) RCA and XLR out no need of XLR yet but is good to have if i go down the balanced route
preferably no volume control (Not required but would be good)
preferably no display (Not required but would be good, unless can be turned off i can live with display)
as good audio quality as possible around 100 - 300 dollar range
preferably solid power input no flimsy 3 or 5 volt tiny circle cable that looks like a old phone charger to avoid the big brick connected to the powerstrip
preferably a bypass or Direct sound no filters or stuff like that
and i want it to be as neutral to the source as possible, what the dac is being fed is what i want to hear no alterations.
great soundstage is a must but as far as i read that operantly is almost a given and depends on the source not purely the dac

Feel free to ask any questions if you need more information ill be happy to provide it.
Also feel free to recomend any DAC that could be better then the ones i mentioned these are just the few i been looking at right now.

Best Regards

Naala

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all

Been lurking for a while here reading reviews and opinions etc (among other sites)

i want to start with i am no Audiophile but i love good sound and i love music in general recently i bought the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm
and while looking for dac/amp i found the Beyerdynamic A20 Amp which some say is perfect match for the DT770 some say it is crap and many said its good but not worth 500 euro i found it for 180 euro 2nd hand so i grabbed it now i just need a dac i got TERRIBLE humm sound when feeding the amp from headphone out on motherboard so i went to grab the cheapest DAC i could find and using optical out at the moment its better but not as good as it could be.

i read here that the S.M.S.L SU 8 is basically the best you can basically need in terms of audio quality and we reached a point where most well built dacs are or should be all the same basically i also read that the S.M.S.L SU 9 is basically equal with a better chip and MQA support is that all? what does the chip do and does it really matter?

i also read one guy asking if upgrading from SU 8 to SU9 would be a big upgrade the answer he got (on a different site) was no although the guy who replied did the same upgrade and found it to be more neutral and better soundstage but admitted it could be placebo effect. is this something you guys agree with?

i went to contact shenzhenaudio.com Via the "chat with us" asking the difference between the Topping E30 which many say is great but i dont like how small it is and the SU8 and su9 the reply i got was "the chip, please consider the SU9 now this brought me here because to me that sounds like "please go buy most expansive thing" like many sellers do is the chip Really that big difference?

other dacs ive considered even tho it is way out of my budget is the iFi Audio NEO iDSD

Basically here is what i want
a solid one time set up and forget DAC with USB in (heard thats best) RCA and XLR out no need of XLR yet but is good to have if i go down the balanced route
preferably no volume control (Not required but would be good)
preferably no display (Not required but would be good, unless can be turned off i can live with display)
as good audio quality as possible around 100 - 300 dollar range
preferably solid power input no flimsy 3 or 5 volt tiny circle cable that looks like a old phone charger
preferably a bypass or Direct sound no filters or stuff like that
and i want it to be as neutral to the source as possible, what the dac is being fed is what i want to hear no alterations.
great soundstage is a must but as far as i read that operantly is almost a given and depends on the source not purely the dac

Feel free to ask any questions if you need more information ill be happy to provide it.
Also feel free to recomend any DAC that could be better then the ones i mentioned these are just the few i been looking at right now.

Best Regards

Naala
Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

Amir's measurements show excellent performance by the LA-QXD1, which also means Soncoz has good power filtering of the USB power input. No hums etc.. Likely, the Soncoz comes with a USB-A to USB-C charging cable. A search for "phone charger hub" on Amazon pulls up twenty pages of items, each of which uses just an ordinary power plug into your power strip which will not block other plugs there. Here are some examples, all of which are small and portable, and have smart-charging logic:
ChargeHub X5 - 5-Port USB Charger
Wyness 6-Port 30W USB Charger
Aduro USB Charging Station
VHBW 4 USB Charging Station
HumanCentric Under Desk USB Charging Station
Xcentz 5-Port Desktop Charging Station
JACKYLED 4 USB Charger Hub with QC3.0

Last edited:
OP
N

Naala

That looks good and seems even slightly better then the SU 8 but what i don't like is the power "So use a branded good quality phone charger and you should be good to go." Would this not affect the sound since you want to have as pure power as possible?

What i wanted to avoid when i said solid power input is what (according to google) is called either 2 pin or 3 pin power think old school hardware and PC cable i don't want a huge brick on the end of the cable that goes in to the power that normally 3 - 5 volts and phone chargers have.

i wouldn't mind a laptop power cable since the brick part is normally 1 meter away so it wont take up all the space in the power strip

Best would be USB powered if 2 pin - 3 pin power cord is rare, totally my bad tho i should been more clear updated the post.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
although the guy who replied did the same upgrade and found it to be more neutral and better soundstage but admitted it could be placebo effect. is this something you guys agree with?

Yes to placebo.

OP
N

Naala

Yes to placebo.

So you are basically saying that there is not a huge difference between the su8 and su9 since it is a yes on the placebo effect?

i am assuming the higher cost on the su9 is basically the MQA support and maybe the upgraded chip?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So you are basically saying that there is not a huge difference between the su8 and su9 since it is a yes on the placebo effect?

Yes.

i am assuming the higher cost on the su9 is basically the MQA support and maybe the upgraded chip?

Likely some combination, but the extra $$ isn't about fundamental sound quality. Transparent is transparent, and after that you get better looking numbers that will mean nothing to your ears.

Top Bottom