• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC suggestion for THX AAA 789

xPakrikx

Hello guys

Im currently using Audio-GD NFB-11 (VIA shit usb interface) with Hifiman Sundara and Eve Audio TS107+SC205. I recently bought THX AAA 789 on massdrop so i am looking for new DAC for my active speakers and headphones.

Which unit would be ideal for my use ?
- Topping dx7
- SMSL SU-8 v2
- MOTU UltraLite-mk4 (maybe MOTU 624 AVB but too expensive)

my use case:
- Primarily music listening,movies,gaming. Switching between headphones and monitors. Balanced output for SM and also HP (audio quality and basic funcionality)
- Secondary small work in DAW and pro audio stuff, as hobby and in future maybe more (functionality and I/O)
- And lastly Linux platform (OS support, Fedora distro)

From my viewpoint MOTU 624 AVB is best option because of AVB control under Linux and same features like MOTU UltraLite-mk4. But i am struggling with audio quality comparison between MOTU and SMSL or Topping. Is there any major change/loss in sound quality ? Also i know there is RME with ADI-2-DAC or PRO but they are out of my budget.

Thanks for advice

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might want balanced connection with the THX, but DAC with balanced connection are more expensive (see ADI-2 DAC for instance).

If you accept to go for unbalanced, a Topping D10 will do the job and cost you less than 100$.

What inputs do you want?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Which unit would be ideal for my use ?
- Topping dx7
- SMSL SU-8 v2
- MOTU UltraLite-mk4 (maybe MOTU 624 AVB but too expensive)
Don't know about Motu. Between the Topping and SMSL, the latter is cheaper. The drawback to it is that it has a tiny display which makes it hard to see from distance. Topping also has AES/EBU balanced digital input which for most consumers is not of much value but for your DAW use, may come in handy. So if cost is not an issue the Topping DX7s would be better (DX7 is better yet but it is not available anymore).

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My two cents.
Connect the NFB-11 to the source (computer) using S/PDIF optical/coaxial,
run the NFB-11 line-output to the line-input on the THX 789.
Run the THX 789's line-output to the studio monitors.

OP
X

xPakrikx

For sure i want balanced, ground looping and hum from GND is quite noticeable under GPU load on studio monitors. About S/PDIF from integrated DAC on MB, this MB doesnt have optical or coax output, only over external spdif module.

So Topping dx7s or MOTU 624 AVB.
First device for for test woud be Motu, because of availability.
We will see :)

Thanks for advice

kurcatovium

I wonder how would cheap audio interfaces equipped with balanced outputs (like Steinberg UR22mkII, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or similar) measure. I know (unbalanced) Behringer measured pretty good here, except for anemic output. I wonder if balanced outs on other devices might be a benefit?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom