• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac/soundcard upgrade recommendations for around 100 euros

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I couldn't live with the ifi zen air dac not working with my corsair k70 mute,volume key's so i returned it

I stille wanna upgrade my m audio m-track solo to something better

FX-AUDIO DAC-SQ3

SMSL SANSKRIT 10Th MKII (a little old ?)

TOPPING D10S DAC (without volume)

Something like a JDS Labs Atom DAC+ is no option since i live in europe and import taxes would make it to expensive

I really like the ability, feature of have adjustable volume so i can gain match it to my amp, to get the best usuable volume range before i reach max power (not a huge deal since i have -10 db rothwell attenuators)

What would you recommend ?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Topping D10s and the sharp filter it has is a perfect match for 44.1khz music. Simple and the display isn't distracting. The Sanskrit too was good, the AKM chip is solid, the case design is love or hate (depending on the color and if you have interconnects to reach). I have to Khadas tone boards also and they're really good, but the Topping d10s comes with a case already and display. Just depends if you want a project or not to get the case. I wrapped the clear $9 case on Amazon with black vinyl wrap and cut a black mouse pad to double sided tape it as a base.

OP
gasolin75

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning

2022-07-22 10_44_27-SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII Review - Peanuts money Hi-Fi – Google Chrome.jpg

I think i would avoid it just because of that

Jimster480

Major Contributor

View attachment 219670

I think i would avoid it just because of that
The SQ3 looks good actually, I almost wrote this off but it turned out that we have a review for it here and it is quite decent

Bleib

Major Contributor
Soundcard: AE-5 (plus). Separate headphone amp and separate "normal" output.
Just use direct mode and set the ohm correct for the headphones and you're good to go.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Soundcard: AE-5 (plus). Separate headphone amp and separate "normal" output.
Just use direct mode and set the ohm correct for the headphones and you're good to go.
That sound card looks quite nice! However it was 130Eur when I searched it. For the USA website it is $169!

Bleib

Major Contributor
That sound card looks quite nice! However it was 130Eur when I searched it. For the USA website it is $169!
It can be worth trying to buy used. I bought a AE-7 for almost half of the original price. Just make sure that the seller has positive feedback and you should be fine.

And sometimes Creative has sales on their website too.

(I went from AE5 to 7 and didn't notice a difference though)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It can be worth trying to buy used. I bought a AE-7 for almost half of the original price. Just make sure that the seller has positive feedback and you should be fine.

And sometimes Creative has sales on their website too.

(I went from AE5 to 7 and didn't notice a difference though)
Based on the overall specs, I wouldn't be surprised because the specs of both are quite good. If they hold up to their claims then the differences would be inaudible.

I suppose he could look in the used market, it does seem like quite a competent product if he has a desktop with a PCI-E slot to put it in.

Top Bottom