• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For the longest time I've wondered this question about audio devices and windows (almost 10 years and have received conflicting answers). I've noticed that a dac will either be identified as an analog device (which makes sense) or as speakers within the window's sound control panel. If the dac is identified as speakers there is an option to turn the speakers to "full range speakers: both left and right". Of which I have no idea the consequences of either for my dac.

I've always been unsure how this affects the sound when it comes to my dac, either by leaving it unchecked in non-full range speaker mode or by checking the full-range speaker mode.

What I really liked about my rme adi 2 dac, is that it shows up as an analog device instead of speakers, so there is no option to treat it like a speaker, which I really liked (after all, it's an analog device, not a speaker). It's the only audio device to date that showed up as an analog device instead of a speaker, otherwise I question to check or leave unchecked "full-range speakers" for my dac, like my current predicament. I purchased a new dac and noticed it is identified as a speaker and allows the full range, non-full range speaker option.

If it is a dac why is windows treating it like a speaker? What is the proper setting? Does it matter if full range is checked or left unchecked with my dac? I've never felt the people answering this question in other forums really had a clue, for once I feel I might be able to get a straight answer from those that have a deeper understanding of dacs and how they interact with windows. I will tag some people that I know are knowledgable on this subject to hopefully get the right answer and maybe some consensus.

@WolfX-700, @amirm, @MC_RME, @JohnYang1997, @SMSL-Mandy, sorry if I left anyone out.

I've attached some pictures to show the differences I'm speaking of. One of them is a dac identified as a speaker and the other is identified as an analog device. There is no settings under analog device to change from full-range speakers, which really takes the guesswork out of the proper way to set it up. As of right now, I leave my dac unchecked on the full-range speakers option and hope the drivers are the only thing that matters in getting the dac to function properly and the dac I currently have, smsl m400, sounds great under those conditions.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. My hope is this question is answered once and for all, I have seen many others ask before me in other forums and the answer never seemed definitive and clear.

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• B0f2YZJ - Imgur.png
    B0f2YZJ - Imgur.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 234
  • IN2xgMU - Imgur.png
    IN2xgMU - Imgur.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 239
  • kFPKS5B - Imgur.png
    kFPKS5B - Imgur.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 235
  • TsQk9OR - Imgur.png
    TsQk9OR - Imgur.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 226
  • WRAb5jN - Imgur.png
    WRAb5jN - Imgur.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure it has to do with how the device reports itself to Windows over USB. It's more of a Windows thing, although since that's the primary market you'd think more manufacturers would be more attentive to it rather that just leaving in all the generic device descriptions.

Top Bottom