• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC settings from the JDS Labs manual

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey,
I noticed on the JDS Labs setup instructions for the Atom DAC that it says to keep Windows volume just below max, but it says to set the sample rate to the highest multiplier of the source material. I've seen a lot of conflicting information saying to keep it at 24 bit 48khz for things like AAA gaming titles or blueray, but this is the first from a manufacturer that says to set it to the highest in the setup guide. Others said that dithering from a high rate isn't audible.
On a side note, there was discussion if a 32 bit DAC would get any benefit to lowering overhead by running it in native 32 bit mode. I know humans can't hear the difference, but whether it let the DAC run more efficiently. Searching these topics, opinions run all over the spectrum of which is best. I'm also currently researching a Windows app that can show the current bit/frequency rate an application is running at using the Windows driver, much like Foobar shows when using the ASIO driver, but haven't found one yet. Has anyone come across a guide that puts the hammer down on the best bit/rate settings for a 32 bit DAC, seeing the opposite advice coming from JDS Labs was enough to get me wondering.

Bullwinkle J Moose

Set bit rate to maximum
This allows reducing windows volume without reducing the quality of audio being played

If you lower windows volume of a 16 bit audio file and with the DAC set to 16 bit, you lose bits as the volume is reduced

32 bit setting on the DAC will give you the full 16 bits of the audio file as you reduce the volume

Sample rate "should" ideally be a direct multiple of the original sample rate of the audio

HOWEVER, you will never be sure if the sample rate "IS" the same sample rate it was originally

Some audio files are resampled before you hear them

The question becomes, how do you actually know what the "original" sample rate was

I generally never over analyze what the sample rate should be and simply leave my DAC's at 88.2Khz since "MOST" of my audio was originally from Audio CD's @ 44.1Khz

Anything recorded at 48Khz can go jump off a cliff and I could not care less that the DAC is set to 88.2

It's "good enough"

Top Bottom