• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC recommendation

Omid

I’m experimenting with DSP crossovers (using Audiolense). If I’m satisfied with the results I will need to update my system, which I’m hoping you guys may be able to help me with.

Is there a DSP/DAC with the following features:

-at least 1 digital input (USB, HDMI or ethernet input).

-ability to convert and distribute the digital input signal to 3 stereo analog outputs (2 balanced XLR, 1 RCA), correcting each of the 3 outputs with 3 separate Audiolense DSP files (meaning I need to be able to upload my own files on this DSP/DAC).

-bonus feature: 1 RCA analog input (for home theatre bypass), another RCA input for the phono preamp.

The equipment I have so far: a NUC running Roon on Rock OS, benchmark DAC2, AHB2, tannoy sterling GR, velodyne dd12 subwoofer.

I’m happy to hear any suggestions.

Cheers.

Olli

Forum Donor
RME ADI-2 Pro. 8 CH DAC with 4 analogue and 4 digital outputs. I am also using it with Audiolense in a 2.2 and a 2.4 setup.

Last edited:
OP
O

Omid

Thank you so much for the recommendation. It looks like a great product. I read the manual but did not see any options for uploading the DSP files. How did you setupt your system (source, DSP convolution, DAC Amps etc)?

Olli

Forum Donor
Roon has a convolver to load the filters. You don’t need to load them into the DAC.

OP
O

Omid

Yes that’s how I’ve implemented my filters so far. Because the source material is 2.0 stereo, I’ve had to have 3 DSP filters (tweeter, woofer, sub) with 3 different zones. The 3 zones are grouped together. My NUC PC running Roon then outputs to 3 zones ie 3 outputs simultaneously (tweeter via USB to xonar U5, woofer via USB to benchmark DAC, subwoofer via audio jack to sub).

It’s a messy way to go about it. I’ve had to measure and adjust for the varying delays and volumes of playback through these 3 channels and DACs.

Because I have Roon installed on a dedicated machine running ROCK OS I don’t think I can install Jriver. As far as I know Roon doesn’t let you upmix a stereo signal to 5.1. If it could I could play 3 stereo streams on a single USB going to an RME dac.

That’s why I was wondering how you’d gone about linking your source to your RME ADI2-pro. What your setup was.

Olli

Forum Donor
Got you. So you need at least 6 Channels? You can connect 2 more DACs to the Adi 2 Pro, via SPDIF and/or AES. But that makes the package a bit expensive. I have a Benchmark DAC3/AHB2 for the mains (passive XO) and 4 cascaded (stereo) subs with the ADI 2 Pro.

I also have a MOTO Ultralite MK4, that would be a more affordable option for an active 3 way. Big pro if using AL: It has an integrated Mic Pre. So you don’t need to mess around with different recording/playback streams.

But I don‘t get why u are having that workaround with three zones in Roon. U know this article?

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-a...fers-with-stereo-mains-using-audiolense-r712/

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Someone around is using an ASUS Xonar. It has 6 audio outputs. A fancier solution is the Lynx Hilo.

OP
O

Omid

Mitch’s article is what got me started exploring DSP. I got his book too. He uses JRiver and a Hilo lynx Dac.

The way I’ve gone about it, I notice the time delay between the 3 streams varies a tiny bit. Not sure if it’d be audible but it bugs me.

If Roon could have played 6 channels on a single USB by up mixing I’d have a clean synchronized signal. If I use 3 separate USB DACs that are all identical it’d hopefully be pretty close to perfect I suppose.

I guess I could use my xonar U5 for 6 simultaneous channels but it’s a serious step down from a Benchmark DAC2.

I’m going to think about it a bit more, look into the Motu and listen to my active crossover see if the sound is worth the extra costs.

OP
O

Omid

Got you. So you need at least 6 Channels? You can connect 2 more DACs to the Adi 2 Pro, via SPDIF and/or AES. But that makes the package a bit expensive. I have a Benchmark DAC3/AHB2 for the mains (passive XO) and 4 cascaded (stereo) subs with the ADI 2 Pro.

I also have a MOTO Ultralite MK4, that would be a more affordable option for an active 3 way. Big pro if using AL: It has an integrated Mic Pre. So you don’t need to mess around with different recording/playback streams.

But I don‘t get why u are having that workaround with three zones in Roon. U know this article?

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-academy/ integrating-subwoofers-with-stereo-mains-using-audiolense-r712/

Olli,

Have you tried your Motu with Roon? My Roon server is on a NUC running ROCK. I read some forum posts about people having some communication problems between Motu DACs and systems running linux. Of course it's hard to know if it's an operator problem, or a real issue.

Olli

Forum Donor
Olli,

Have you tried your Motu with Roon? My Roon server is on a NUC running ROCK. I read some forum posts about people having some communication problems between Motu DACs and systems running linux. Of course it's hard to know if it's an operator problem, or a real issue.

I think you are right. My Roon core is on a Mac, I remember that it did not work with my Linux based Audioserver (Audiostore Prestige, OS: Sonicorbiter/Nova)

Last edited:
Top Bottom