• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC recommendation: Topping E30 or Schiit Gungnir DS

lordwerther

Hi,

I recently found a used Schiit Gungnir DS for 555Euro.
I'm currently using a Topping E30 as a dac for my PC. (PC-> E30 -> Schiit saga -> yamaha as501 as amp).

Would there be any logic at all to change the current dac for the Schiit Gungnir DS for that amount of money??? Would there be any "upgrade" in sound quality?

I ask this because recently i changed my old preamp (FX-audio tube 01 ) with the Schiit Saga and the difference in soundstage alone is clear to me.

So, what do you say?

thx

charleski

Major Contributor
Would there be any "upgrade" in sound quality?
No. Both have performance that surpasses our ability to discriminate.

I ask this because recently i changed my old preamp (FX-audio tube 01 ) with the Schiit Saga and the difference in soundstage alone is clear to me.
You changed from a dirt-cheap tube amp to one that's better designed and not scraping the bottom of the barrel. So it's not surprising you heard a difference.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I recently found a used Schiit Gungnir DS for 555Euro.
I'm currently using a Topping E30 as a dac for my PC. (PC-> E30 -> Schiit saga -> yamaha as501 as amp).

Would there be any logic at all to change the current dac for the Schiit Gungnir DS for that amount of money??? Would there be any "upgrade" in sound quality?

So, what do you say?

thx

You can get the Schiit Bifrost 2 for the same amount of money as Gungnir DS and have fresh 5 year warranty instead. Looks great next to my Schiit Saga. There would not be a sonic difference than both E30 and Gungnir DS but I like to collect different DAC chips myself and the AD5781ARUZ DAC chip is pretty unique that only Schiit so far uses them for audio applications

My system.jpg

Top Bottom