• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC recommendation: Soncoz QXD1/Topping E30/D30Pro?

goldistan

Source: miniDSP DDRC-88D, selectable 4x SPDIF or AES
Use case: LX521, 4-way stereo speakers crossover
Must have: coax SPDIF or AES input
Nice to have: XLR, volume control

Candidates (based on low price, high ranking on ASR):
Topping E30
Topping D30Pro (expensive)
Soncoz QXD1
SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2 (poor performance with coax input)

I favor Soncoz for its price and measurements. I cannot buy an Okto.

I am going to buy 4 units, they must play in phase when fed SPDIF.

Last edited:

wgh52

@goldistan

Hi,

I'm considering a rather similar configuration: Three Topping E30 fed by the three Digital Outputs of my DEQX PDC-2.6p. So your findings in E30 usage would be much appreciated!

An area of concern for me is the remote controlled setting to DAC Mode whis seems reset at every power on, also there were reports about sample rate switching potentially being unreliable (resulting in silence). So, there are some questionmarks with the E30 unfortunately.

Let's hope some E30 owners can shed light here...

OP
G

goldistan

I'm considering a rather similar configuration: Three Topping E30 fed by the three Digital Outputs of my DEQX PDC-2.6p. So your findings in E30 usage would be much appreciated!
E30 is off the list, it makes occasional loud pop noises and I need to connect my dac to a power amp.
I just ordered E50.
Other candidates were Soncoz, Smsl SU6, Schiit modius.

alekksander

QXD1 would be hard to control unless You set dacs to 100% volume (firmware) and control it elsewhere. reason for that is that it doesn't give feedback on volume step, plus (on linux) it has two digital volume controls for some reason – both are not synchronised with internal dac volume(!).
D30Pro has other issues that are not relevant anymore i guess since You went with E50. Probably a good choice. Let us know!

OP
G

goldistan

Update: I bought 4x Topping E50. the reason for preferring this was remote control + volume feedback on the screen.
The E50 has a factory setting of "pre" mode and -30db volume, which is very thoughtful.

timtt

E30 is off the list, it makes occasional loud pop noises and I need to connect my dac to a power amp.
I just ordered E50.
Other candidates were Soncoz, Smsl SU6, Schiit modius.
How's your E50, does it make pop noises?

Top Bottom