• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Recommendation for Wiim Mini or Pro

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you haven't, read Amir's review of the WiiM Mini elsewhere on this site. Disregard his non-recommendation because it doesn't run his beloved Roon, and read how the internal DAC measures. Then you have some facts to deal with in deciding how to 'improve' on it.
I am running a Wiim Mini through the dac in my Denon PMA800ne and the result is very impressive.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There seems a hidden bias against inexpensive gear among folks who just know that good stuff just must be costly.

I suppose if I had paid $2999 for a streamer last year, I'd resent it if somebody sold one that works digitally just as well for $89. And since the WiiM doesn't have a milled front panel, an OLED touchscreen, XLR cables** or big blue meters, where are the brag rights?

However, my two WiiMs both sit under cover, velcroed to the undersides of shelves... just streaming CD or better* controlled from my phone. And I am not queer for Roon or MQA. I use very good speakers, well placed and better than my hearing, and more SOTA modern hi-res 24/192k audio is better than MQA.

*24/192k if not synced with each other, and where the streaming service provides it.
**Really, like I need balanced audio for a 1/2 meter cable?
My Wiim Mini sounds too notch running the through the Denon PMA800NE, I really can’t fault it and I have had network players 8 times the cost that don’t really match it in terms of ease of use and sound quality but those players were 10 years + old. Still, the Mini is as good as anything I would want in terms of sound quality but then it is going through a good amplifier with a good dac and well thought out internal structure and great speakers. Nonetheless the Mini is simply the best value streamer on the market in 2023 regardless of the neigh sayers. It’s rocks!

Top Bottom