• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC recommandation for PC of about 600 USD

Roberti7

Hello guys, I am seeking for a DAC, never had one that I want to use to listen to my collection of CDs and DSD files.
I have started to make research on this thing for the last few months and I got to a point where I don't know where to go with.
To be honest, I am afraid of the Chinese if I encounter any issues I will have only a "brick" on my desk. I would prefer a non-Chinese manufacturer of audio equipment, even though one of my option is Chinese brand. I really want a reliable piece of equipment to work for a few years, like 5-10 years if possible.
I have to admit the budget is quite tight of about $500-600 (approximately 3.000 RON - Yes, I live in Romania, Eastern Europe).

My main source will be an old Mac Mini, and a few OptiPlexes. So, mainly PCs. And I will also love to have multiple S/PDIF and Coaxial, if possible.

I am thinking about the following DACs:

- SMSL SU-9n
- Atoll Electronique DAC100 Signature

What would you recommend? Please come with opinions, options and please let's debate a little.

My listening preferences are the following:

I am fan of old vintage analogue sound, since I have multiple Technics amps such as SU-Z11, SU-V450 and SU-V570. I love the warmth sound of those amplificators, and it's relaxed approach without coloration for very high pitched notes and any coloration at all. In other words, transparent with a little bit of warmth.
I listen to a lot of Electronic Dance Music (Progressive House, Electro House, Uplifting Trance), Electronica, some 80-90's Rock like Dire Straits (those are the favourites of my father).

Thank you very much.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using headphones or speakers? Balanced amps or unbalanced?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Most DACs are transparent and it probably won't sound any different than your soundcard, except sometimes you get audible noise from a regular soundcard.

. In other words, transparent with a little bit of warmth.
What does "warmth" mean to you? Sometimes it's a mid-bass boost (which is what I used to think it means) and sometimes slight "pleasing" distortion is described as warmth. You shouldn't get either of those from a DAC.

With electronics, "sound quality" is defined by noise, distortion, and frequency response. Frequency response and distortion are usually better than human hearing unless you over-drive an amplifier into clipping (distortion). Sometimes noise can be audible. (ASR combines noise & distortion as SINAD.)

OP
R

Roberti7

Are you using headphones or speakers? Balanced amps or unbalanced?
Speakers and unbalanced vintage amps.

Let me try to explain what a "warm" sound feels to me:
Indeed a boost of sub-bass to mid-bass. For example Technics amps in the loudness stage add +9dB in the 50Hz regions. I love it so much. I am a bass lover.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC won't matter that much as noise and distortion would be dominated by the amps.

Non-Chinese option Schiit Modius
Chinese options Soncos SGD1, SMSL SU-9, topping d10s represent good values

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Indeed a boost of sub-bass to mid-bass. For example Technics amps in the loudness stage add +9dB in the 50Hz regions. I love it so much. I am a bass lover.
Your love for bass is fine. However a DAC adding 9dB would be considered “defective” (as it would not replicate the source accurately). But there is hope :). A lot of people using EQ to a) adapt to the specific acoustics of their room and b) dial in their preferred „sounds“ (in your case 9dB below 50Hz).
The cheapest solution (free) is to run APOEQ with the PEACE skin on your PC and connect the DAC to your PC.

Therefore get a transparent DAC (and there are many very good ones below 600 bucks) and the rest you can do with EQ.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Is that 9dB boost using the bass control on your amp? Or is it built-in and non-defeatable?

OP
R

Roberti7

Your love for bass is fine. However a DAC adding 9dB would be considered “defective” (as it would not replicate the source accurately). But there is hope :). A lot of people using EQ to a) adapt to the specific acoustics of their room and b) dial in their preferred „sounds“ (in your case 9dB below 50Hz).
The cheapest solution (free) is to run APOEQ with the PEACE skin on your PC and connect the DAC to your PC.

Therefore get a transparent DAC (and there are many very good ones below 600 bucks) and the rest you can do with EQ.
Without a doubt, a DAC will sound defective if it's gonna add 9dB in the bass region. This what the loudness button from the amp does. Which can be activated whenever you want. From my PC I want a transparent sound which doesn't feel that it cuts your ears with harsh treble. That's why I said about a little bit of warmth for the DAC. The extra bass will be added by the amp itself in it's pre-amp (it's an stereo integrated) through the loudness function.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That 9dB option is the "Loudness" button, which can be activated or deactivated as you would like.
So the amp will continue to provide the bass boost you like, not the dac. Have you checked the various dac reviews here for a model meeting your connectivity and other requirements? I don't see an Atoll dac review so wondered.....

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spend $200 on the DAC and the rest on a NAS. ;)

OP
R

Roberti7

So the amp will continue to provide the bass boost you like, not the dac. Have you checked the various dac reviews here for a model meeting your connectivity and other requirements? I don't see an Atoll dac review so wondered.....
Yes, I have checked the reviews, and I find the SMSL SU-9n a very good option. My only concerns are regarding the reliability of the product on the long term.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I have checked the reviews, and I find the SMSL SU-9n a very good option. My only concerns are regarding the reliability of the product on the long term.
Can't help you with that. The only external dac I've tried, a Schiit Modius 3 for an old 2ch system I have, made no difference to the built-in dacs in the gear in that setup anyways. I'd consider a "warm" dac as defective, tho, just as I would an amp.

Top Bottom