• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac/preamp with trigger

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Hi guys i just ordered two class d monoblocks that have trigger inputs (5 to 12v). What dac/preamp would you suggest?Connection would be unbalanced.

TimW

Major Contributor
I assume you want a DAC with volume control and trigger outputs to turn your amplifiers on and off no? There are not a ton of options with that exact feature set.

The Parasound Zdac v2 would do the job but Amir's measurements show sub par performance.

There is also the Benchmark DAC2 and DAC3 which have 12V trigger outputs. The DAC1 did not have this trigger feature.

Technically the Paradigm PW-Link could also be used as a DAC and preamp, and it has a 12V trigger output. Although it only has toslink optical input and the analog output has poor performance. However if you used it with an external DAC with the optical output, performance can be quite good.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply what do you think of the Denon HEOS Link? I like HEOS app plus i can connect it to a better dac like the topping d50s. I am not sure about its usb connection though

Willem

Major Contributor
It is strange that the options are so limited. Nearly all subwoofers are auto on/off but very few power amplifiers are. Triggers are also rare, both on power amplifiers and on pre amplifiers/DACs.
I am facing a similar situation, with a Quad 606-2 power amplifier that has the switch on the back. I am about to try a master/slave power strip that senses if the master is turned on and then switches on the slaves. The limitation that I am investigating is that most here in Europe have an 8 watt threshold for power consumption by the master and my RME ADI-2 only consumes 7 watt when switched on. I have probably found one by Olympia with a 6 watt threshold and that is what I may try. Alternatively I may combine the DAC with an always on piece of kit like my Chromecast Audio to raise the power consumption on the master socket just enough (but not too much because apparently also confuses the electronics). My knowledge of electronics does not extend far enough to predict if this will work.

TimW

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply what do you think of the Denon HEOS Link? I like HEOS app plus i can connect it to a better dac like the topping d50s. I am not sure about its usb connection though
I have no experience with that or any Denon HEOS product, but based on my experience with the Paradigm PW Link I'm hesitant to recommend that kind of product. I would hazard to bet that HEOS is superior to dts Play-Fi as far as user interface goes, but I doubt it is on par with Google cast or Roon which are my preferences. I also don't like the PW Link because volume is controlled with buttons and there is no physical remote. The HEOS Link is similar in that regard and is not the kind of thing I would personally want to use as a preamp. The connectivity of the HEOS Link is nice, and I appreciate the inclusion of a subwoofer output, but for $350 it just doesn't really interest me. The only reason I like the PW Link is because it can be used as a digital in digital out room correction box.

If you really want this kind of all in one streamer, DAC, and preamp device, I would steer you towards the Yamaha WXC-50. Based on Amir's review of the Yamaha WXA-50 it should perform well enough. Not TOTL performance but competent and to be expected from this sort of device. I like it more than the HEOS Link because it has a volume knob and remote. But that's just my preference, Neither the Yamaha nor Denon have actually been measured here so all we have to go by are manufacturer THD and SNR specs which are similar.

My preference is to go with separate components. It makes things more complicated but it allows for more adjustment. My amplifiers don't have Trigger inputs so I use power conditioners with trigger inputs to turn them on and off. Right now I'm using a DIY infrared 12V switch I made to turn the conditioner on and off but soon I'll be using a Niles CS12V Current-Sensing 12V trigger instead. I got it used for about a third of the retail price, which is way too high in my opinion. The kind of power strip @Willem is talking about could also work, but I've had a hard time finding one so far.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Do you think the yamaha can be connected to an external dac with usb? Would the remote control the volume or can it only work with optical/coaxial?

TimW

Major Contributor
Do you think the yamaha can be connected to an external dac with usb? Would the remote control the volume or can it only work with optical/coaxial?
I highly doubt the usb connection can be used with a DAC.

According to Crutchfield: The Yamaha WXC-50 is equipped with a rear-panel USB-A 2.0 port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/0.5A); even in standby mode.

If you want to use an external DAC you would need to connect it via optical or coaxial. According to this forum post, it appears the volume is still controllable when using these digital outputs in pre amp mode.

Willem

Major Contributor
The power strip I have ordered is the IOIO MS2500 by Olympia (the former mechanical typewriter manufacturer). Other manufacturers are Brennenstuhl and Bodo Ehmann, but I am sure there are more if you google Master-slave Steckdoseleiste. These are for EU plugs (there are also some for UK plugs) and 230 Volt. For the US I have found this: https://www.conservationmart.com/p-317-bits-smart-strip-7-outlet-scg-3mvr.aspx

Last edited:
OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
That seems like a nice solution if it works. Is there any damage to the amps turning on and off like this or is it better to use the trigger

TimW

Major Contributor
That seems like a nice solution if it works. Is there any damage to the amps turning on and off like this or is it better to use the trigger
None of my amps have suffered from being turned on and off with the outlet. In fact all of the power switches in my amps are directly connected to the fused AC inlet, so there is no difference between turning it on with the power switch or the outlet.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
That would make things better as i can choose more dacs/preamps.

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
So with a topping D50s connected to my Android tv box i can stream through spdif or maybe usb and have remote control. I mostly use tidal.

TimW

Major Contributor
So with a topping D50s connected to my Android tv box i can stream through spdif or maybe usb and have remote control. I mostly use tidal.
Yeah there are a few DACs with volume control and remote that you could use. I would consider the SMSL Sanskrit 10th, SMSL SU-8, Topping DX3 pro, Topping D50s, or Topping DX7s.

Would you use the TV as the master control outlet?

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Well what other options are there to control the tv box from a smartphone like Heos or Music cast etc

Willem

Major Contributor
Please note that these master slave power strips have a minimum power consumption by the master ( and a maximum).

OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I am frying to find what the power consumption of the D50s is. Most of the ac adapters need 5watts which is a problem. Another option i found is with diy programmable ir receiver with trigger or WiFi ac outlets.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Do you think nvidia shield is a good streamer?

Willem

Major Contributor
My favourite streamer is the Chromecast Audio. Use the digital output into a decent DAC with volume control and you are done.

Top Bottom