• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac Preamp search

Jaimo

I've given up on getting my Teac UD503 repaired and while I'm happy with my SMSL SU8 / Mac Mini / Roon / Tidal source into JBL LSR 708P's, my search for a good DAC / Preamp goes on.

I've just come across this box - Project RS2 Digital - while it checks many of my boxes - Roon ready, USB, HDMI and Analog inputs and balanced outputs, I'm put off by the gimicky tube output stage and the lack of any credible measurements.

Does anyone have any experience with this box or, can recommend a viable alternative?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just come across this box - Project RS2 Digital - while it checks many of my boxes - Roon ready, USB, HDMI and Analog inputs and balanced outputs, I'm put off by the gimicky tube output stage and the lack of any credible measurements.
Well... This costs 1995€ and measures not so great:
THD+N (20Hz - 20kHz): < 0.006% solid state/0.017% tube
@ 2V RMS, 1 kHz
The RME ADI-2 DAC simply destroys this unit for half the price. Best DAC/Preamp I know, thanks to its Auto Ref Level and a much more powerful headphone amp.

Last edited:
OP
Jaimo

Jaimo

I'm a long time RME fan and still have a ADI8 DS in my recording rig - the ADI-2 while good for what it does, doesn't have enough I/O for my simple application - 1 or 2 stereo analog line inputs (1 turntable and 1 Amazon Echo input for my wife's Spotify use), 1 USB in, 3 optical ins for a BD player, TV box and Gaming console.

Not sure why DAC manufacturers don't cater to these requirements while still keeping with good measured performance.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1 or 2 stereo analog line inputs (1 turntable and 1 Amazon Echo input for my wife's Spotify use), 1 USB in, 3 optical ins for a BD player, TV box and Gaming console.
Seems like the Benchmark DAC3 HGC almost matches your requirements:
DAC3_Rear_8aa7c056-1758-4e20-b36a-5dfbb95f3bc2_2000x.jpg

Sure, it won't comes cheap, but price is on par with the ProJect, with real State of the Art performance and reliability.

OP
Jaimo

Jaimo

Many thanks for this - I actually looked at the DAC3 a while back and missed the fact that had analog inputs. I just checked again and it's a little hidden in their spec sheet. I wonder if they will run any black Friday specials...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I actually looked at the DAC3 a while back and missed the fact that had analog inputs. I just checked again and it's a little hidden in their spec sheet. I wonder if they will run any black Friday specials...

I got my $1995 DAC2 via Amazon during some 15% off selected electronics sale.

It wasn't one that seemed to be "selected", but I whined nicely to the chat lady, and got it.

1573869860957.png

1573869352748.png

Hmm... probably added the shipping for next day delivery or something stupid like that.

That was even before they had to add sales tax for Florida.

1573869428138.png

I probably even got some (5% then? Is now) Cashback since I used my Amazon Prime credit card...

Point, click, chat window complain, click, boom, done, turn down LedZep a day or two later and wait for doorbell or subsequent loud knocking.

Six years on, no lust to replace it.

Measures almost as well as the DAC3.

Maybe you can find a used one. They're sturdy. They're good enough. Essentially the same feature set as the DAC3.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-dac2-hgc-da-processorheadphone-amplifier

1573870021502.png

Hmm...

Maybe holding value well enough...

1573870249136.png

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn’t get the DAC2 unless you plan on getting the firmware update. I had one and upgraded to the DAC3 mostly because of usability. The old dim setting was driving me crazy!

Sundust

and why not a M2tech young mkIII and his powersuply ? IT s very good

Top Bottom