• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/PreAmp + PowerAmp or integrated amp for Amphion Helium 520

Papru

Hi!
I bought few months ago Amphion Helium 520 speakers: Amphion Helium 520
Specs:
Sensitivity: 90dB
Power recommendation: 10-150w (4Ohm)

I currently have my old Denon AVR-1611 integrated amp and now I want to get stereo amplifier for Amphions. I dont need 5.1 or 7.1 surround anymore.
Budget for this is about 300-400€ (about same in $). I also have HTPC, TV, BD-player and kids Wii connected to Denon.
Now Im wondering if I should get DAC with volume control + Power amp or just integrated stereo amp. If I go with separate DAC route, I need to connect HDMI devices to TV and sound goes via toslink to DAC and there to PowerAmp. HTPC will be connected to DAC via USB. This would mean that I need DAC with Toslink and USB (Topping E30 ? ).
For PowerAmp I have been thinking to buy ready made or I could DIY it if there is good instructions for it. I have some soldering/electrical experience and I built (soldered) Objective2 Amp + ODAC few years back. I already looked IcePower 125asx based DIY kits. Topping E30 costs here 130€ and IcePower DIY kit would be around 220-250€. So under 400€ together. Is there any downsides in this DAC+PowerAmp solution or should I go with Integrated Amp?
Any other power amp DIY recommendations that would suit for my needs?
Are there any integrated amps in this price range that would be suitable for Amphions and match in audio quality to Topping E30 + Ice Power. If there are any cheaper options, I would appreciate them too

Thanks!

Bob-23

If you want to have it really cheap (in price): the famous gainclones around LM 1875 or LM 3876/3877 have been around for long, not without a reason. These are very diy-friendly and astoundingly good! I built one with the LM1875 and I was very surprised about the good sound quality and even more surprised that they are capable of driving 100 W speakers without complaints. As a dac I use the Behringer UMC 204HD which is completely sufficient (headphone out not recommended).

Look at Rod Elliotts projects 72 (LM1875) and 19 (LM3876/3877) on his (world's best diy-site) 'ESP':
https://sound-au.com/ >project list

There're kits available - even with Muting-/DC-protection circuits, at lowest prices:
TooGoo LM1875/Gaincard
https://www.amazon.de/TOOGOO-Verst?Rker-Platine-Gaincard-Verzerrung-schwarz/dp/B07XYBJ8TP/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=gaincard+lm1875&qid=1601634596&sr=8-1

Have a lot of fun!

OP
P

Papru

I decided to go with DAC/preAmp + Amp option. I already ordered SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII DAC. For amplifier I chose little bit cheaper device: AIYIMA 04 TPA3251 based amp. That might not be as good as IcePower 125ASX DIY amp but let see if it is good enough. DAC cost was only 90€ and amplifier was 70€ including power supply.

Top Bottom