• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC / Preamp after failure of Topping D90SE at 82 days

Svensson

Advice please on which SMSL DAC / Preamp to choose. The SU10, or the D400EX, or the D400ES, or other of similar capability. Great XLR output quality (power & SINAD) highest priority. LDAC is desireable but not essential. Two Topping failures in less than 8 months makes me nervous, so a company with great reliability also desired. Amp is Audiophonics HPA400ET, which was a revelation.

My very much loved Topping D90SE was 82 days old when it just stopped powering up. It replaced my Topping E50 which packed up after 2 months. My long lived E30 is now on secondment from the spare room.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I'm super happy with my smsl SP400 and D300. But I wouldn't use a digital volume control with a Poweramp.

There could always be a software glitch/update and you get 100% volume.

Streamc

Advice please on which SMSL DAC / Preamp to choose. The SU10, or the D400EX, or the D400ES, or other of similar capability. Great XLR output quality (power & SINAD) highest priority. LDAC is desireable but not essential. Two Topping failures in less than 8 months makes me nervous, so a company with great reliability also desired. Amp is Audiophonics HPA400ET, which was a revelation.

My very much loved Topping D90SE was 82 days old when it just stopped powering up. It replaced my Topping E50 which packed up after 2 months. My long lived E30 is now on secondment from the spare room.
Did you check fuse. I have D90LE. I replaced it. All works good. It was broken after 3days. I replaced it and all works good.

OP
S

Svensson

Did you check fuse. I have D90LE. I replaced it. All works good. It was broken after 3days. I replaced it and all works good.
Sadly, not the fuse. I'd assumed it would be from a search online.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@Svensson You received a refund for the defective d90se, right?

SMSL is no better- you'd be much better off to buy some quality gear. Like @HarmonicTHD suggested- RME. Buy once and buy well.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Schiit Freya S + Modius Balanced DAC. 5 years warranty and US made. Nothing against China made electronics as I have lot of made in China equipment, including Topping and Matrix Audio electronics but looks like Topping is suffering lately of some QC issues because reports of failures have been increasing or at least popping up here and at some other forums.

Last edited:
OP
S

Svensson

@HarmonicTHD @restorer-john I will certainly read more again about RME.
@Streamc @enricoclaudio I hadn't realised that Topping had started to show signs generally of issues, hopefully they resolve it soon as they really are highly rated and I have otherwise been very happy with the kit. Thankfully, whilst I couldn"t find a way to contact the seller, Amazon agreed to refund on return of the unit outside of the fixed returns window. It's being collected on Monday. Thank goodness as the cost loss would have been horrible.

I'll be widening my homework to RME, Schitt and others. This sort of homework can be fun.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@HarmonicTHD @restorer-john I will certainly read more again about RME.
@Streamc @enricoclaudio I hadn't realised that Topping had started to show signs generally of issues, hopefully they resolve it soon as they really are highly rated and I have otherwise been very happy with the kit. Thankfully, whilst I couldn"t find a way to contact the seller, Amazon agreed to refund on return of the unit outside of the fixed returns window. It's being collected on Monday. Thank goodness as the cost loss would have been horrible.

I'll be widening my homework to RME, Schitt and others. This sort of homework can be fun.
Voila.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Take a look at Okto Research DACs too.

They have an 8 channel version.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I was going to recommend Benchmark but not sure if price is a deal breaker for the OP. I recently got delivery of a HPA4 and my only regret is why I waited so long to purchase it.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Take a look at Okto Research DACs too.

They have an 8 channel version.

I love it (looks too) but too many reports for burned screens after a year or so.
I would consider buying 2-3 spare ones right on initial purchase.
I would also have a look at interfaces like MOTU,their ADC may come handy some times setting up your gear.

Trell

Major Contributor
I love it (looks too) but too many reports for burned screens after a year or so.
I would consider buying 2-3 spare ones right on initial purchase.
I would be hesitant as well of a DAC with an OLED display for long term use. I don’t want to “babysit” my use of the display.

Trell

Major Contributor
Wow. When I read your story, this sucks big time. Sorry to hear. Maybe try some quality gear eg RME ? (At least they won’t leave you hanging if something happens).

I’ve two RME devices that I’m very satisfied with, but like all manufacturers even they have problematic batches at times, which they do fix as they don’t release a new similar product every six months.

RME do take care of their customers when there’re problems, though. Support their devices with drivers for literally decades and have excellent and comprehensive manuals.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
two topping devices dead in such a short time

lets see how these companies take care of a customer who has spend well over $1,000 on their gear

<laugh cry>

Rover

I used an RME ADI 2 DAC FS that broke down after a couple of weeks.I made a refund, but I don't want to contact RME.Any device can break, regardless of the manufacturer.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Sure, even RME devices could fail. In fact, my RME Fireface UCX II had the front screen with a crack so I contacted Synthax (RME service center in the US) and in 24 hours I had an advanced replacement shipped to me at no cost with the returning shipping label included for the bad unit. The problem is not about failing units, it’s more about how the manufacture handles the replacements under and out of warranty and how fast and easy the process is done for the customer.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I used an RME ADI 2 DAC FS that broke down after a couple of weeks.I made a refund, but I don't want to contact RME.Any device can break, regardless of the manufacturer.
You usually contact the seller first, not the manufacturer. When that fails you can do so and for RME the are a number of examples on their forum that they help the customers.

Top Bottom