• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC - pre out/line out switch

EmilMadsen90

Hi,
Been lurking around ASR for some time now. I bought the Topping D30 and E30 and the JDS Labs Atom already. However, I’m dreaming of a DAC/pre amp/power amp set-up in my living room. I was thinking a Topping DX7 Pro connected to a power amp. What’s holding me back is; from my understanding, pressing a single button on the Topping remote will switch the output of the Topping DX7 Pro from pre out to line out, effectively making my head explode (I own some B&W 801 Matrix S3).
Firstly, am I correct in my understanding?
Secondly, can the possibility of switching the Topping DX7 Pro output from pre out to line out be disabled or can the head explosion issue be solved by other means?
If not, is there a DAC/pre amp combo or combination (with remote) that doesn’t have the “smart” switching feature?
I am seriously horrified of this switching happening one drunken evening.
Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Emil

Attachments

• IMG_20190426_202159.jpg
    IMG_20190426_202159.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 174

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
The manual seems to confirms this. Eventhough it's a bit unclear around the (Available for Remote Setting). If you don't need the headamp-part you could go for something like the D90 instead - I have this and it needs special button press sequences upon power-up (from complete off) before you're able to change this. Would be a shame blowing out those nice speakers!

ps. I use the D90 as pre-amp and my TacT power amp does the rest :)

1589311419771.png

1589311446213.png

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Pro output from pre out to line out be disabled or can the head explosion issue be solved by other means?

Maybe a separate programmable remote? Just don't program *THAT* button...

OP
EmilMadsen90

EmilMadsen90

The manual seems to confirms this. Eventhough it's a bit unclear around the (Available for Remote Setting). If you don't need the headamp-part you could go for something like the D90 instead - I have this and it needs special button press sequences upon power-up (from complete off) before you're able to change this. Would be a shame blowing out those nice speakers!

ps. I use the D90 as pre-amp and my TacT power amp does the rest :)

View attachment 63162
View attachment 63164
I actually did consider the D90. The reason for me to go with the DX7 Pro over the D90 is that it is cheaper and, subjectively, has nicer looks. And a headphone amp which is also not a downside. But from what you're saying it actually seems like the D90 would suit my needs.
Do you know if other Topping DAC's (or basically just other DACs with a remote) have similar procedure as the D90 for switching to line out?
Blowing my speakers would be even worse than my head exploding!

OP
EmilMadsen90

EmilMadsen90

Maybe a separate programmable remote? Just don't program *THAT* button...
Good idea, that could work as well. I don't have any experience in programming such. Is it idiot proof, so to say? :-D
Your suggestion made me think; I could somehow open the Topping remote and then mechanically or electrically disable the button.

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
I actually did consider the D90. The reason for me to go with the DX7 Pro over the D90 is that it is cheaper and, subjectively, has nicer looks. And a headphone amp which is also not a downside. But from what you're saying it actually seems like the D90 would suit my needs.
Do you know if other Topping DAC's (or basically just other DACs with a remote) have similar procedure as the D90 for switching to line out?
Blowing my speakers would be even worse than my head exploding!
Well from own expirience I can only talk about the D90 and the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII which I also have (the "competitor" to your E30) - It's always in pre-amp mode (no DAC only option).
No expirience - But maybe the SMSL M500 would be an option also.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Line Out and Headphone Output buttons have no effect on my Topping D50s. I actually have an IR controlled power switch trained to respond to the Headphone button to control the power to my monitor speakers.

OP
EmilMadsen90

EmilMadsen90

Well from own expirience I can only talk about the D90 and the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII which I also have (the "competitor" to your E30) - It's always in pre-amp mode (no DAC only option).
No expirience - But maybe the SMSL M500 would be an option also.
Thanks for suggesting the SMSL M500, that could very well be an option. However, I have a hard time figuring out these usability aspects. Reviews seems to be focused towards audio quality.
What I also want for the DAC/pre amp is to remember it's last volume setting after shutdown and power loss. Alternatively, turning on the DAC should not result in full output volume (except for the very first time of use).
Do anyone know how the Topping's, SMSL's, etc. are in this regard?

OP
EmilMadsen90

EmilMadsen90

Line Out and Headphone Output buttons have no effect on my Topping D50s. I actually have an IR controlled power switch trained to respond to the Headphone button to control the power to my monitor speakers.
That sounds nice with the IR power switch. How is the volume on startup for the D50s if power has been disconnected? Does it remember the last volume setting or start out at mid or full volume?

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Thanks for suggesting the SMSL M500, that could very well be an option. However, I have a hard time figuring out these usability aspects. Reviews seems to be focused towards audio quality.
What I also want for the DAC/pre amp is to remember it's last volume setting after shutdown and power loss. Alternatively, turning on the DAC should not result in full output volume (except for the very first time of use).
Do anyone know how the Topping's, SMSL's, etc. are in this regard?
I just tested this on my D90 and 10th MKII. After power disconnect for >2 min they both returned to the exact same state (input + volume + filter) as prior to the disconnect.
BTW the Line Out-button on the D90 remote is disabled/non-functioning from the manufacturers side (also states this in the manual).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What I also want for the DAC/pre amp is to remember it's last volume setting after shutdown and power loss.

I like my M500...the volume knob is small but does exist, and the volume stays where you left it. Nobody wants that unpleasant full volume surprise...

OP
EmilMadsen90

EmilMadsen90

I just tested this on my D90 and 10th MKII. After power disconnect for >2 min they both returned to the exact same state (input + volume + filter) as prior to the disconnect.
BTW the Line Out-button on the D90 remote is disabled/non-functioning from the manufacturers side (also states this in the manual).
Thanks a lot for testing :) Sounds good with the D90 and 10th MKII volumes.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is the volume on startup for the D50s if power has been disconnected? Does it remember the last volume setting or start out at mid or full volume?

I set the volume to -50.0dB and this was preserved upon powering up 10 seconds after shutdown in the following ways...

1. Power button on the unit.
2. Power button on the remote.
3. Pulling the power plug on the back of the unit.

My guess is that the D50s is storing it's settings, including volume, in NVRAM.

OP
EmilMadsen90

EmilMadsen90

I set the volume to -50.0dB and this was preserved upon powering up 10 seconds after shutdown in the following ways...

1. Power button on the unit.
2. Power button on the remote.
3. Pulling the power plug on the back of the unit.

My guess is that the D50s is storing it's settings, including volume, in NVRAM.
Nice, really appreciate it.
Seems the general picture is that Topping's D-series/DAC-only products are fine with respect to the volume issue. If I want the XLR connectors, I'm limited to the D90. And possibly the D70, I guess it behaves similar to the D90

Top Bottom