• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac powersupply without the bs!

Quake

Hi ASR,

I have read a fair bit of your work Mr amirm and very appreciative of it.

My upcoming project is a 4-way active DSP controlled speaker in which for 3 of the "ways" will be assigned its own topping D50 Dac.

This means I will need 4 clean, quiet channels of power for these 3 DACs and another additional one for the DSP unit.

I have read how snake oil some linear power supplies can be and nor will I pay that much for x4 of them! I am all 100% for plugging straight into a laptop as its quiet as anything and clean!

However, my laptop ain't got 4 usbs out! Nor is it practical...

What do you guys think the best solution for me here is? I'm looking for something that works. isn't loaded with crap and (hopefully) doesn't cost too much.

I am thinking of using a Thor powerboard and then plugging in 4x iFi power SMPS "low noise" bricks...

Thanks, guys!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an additional issue to consider : That of the time drift between the DACs. They do not have a common time reference and there may (shall?) exist some time drift associated with that. I don’t know how severe it can be.
As for powering your DACs, there exist rather powerful USB hubs such as this: https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-7-P...7-lIL&ref=plSrch#immersive-view_1544871916664

Back to the timing issue
I don’t know what the specs are but something like the miniDSP 4 x10 HD with its 10 DAC all with the same clock may be a better deal for you. The experts here will take it from here ;)

Last edited:
OP
Q

Quake

There is an additional issue to consider : That if the time drift between the DACs. They do not have a common time reference and there may Be some time drift associated with that. I don’t know what the specs are but something like the miniDSP 4 x10 HD with its 10 DAC all with the same clock may be a better deal for you. The experts here will take it fro here ;)

Have thought of this- but I did sorta say to myself hey its likely in the nanosecond region so *shrug shoulders*

I am still considering doing the 4x10 minidsp.,, but I wanted to go nanoDigi and external dacs for Maximus soundus

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you for the “maximum soundus”. Love that expression! You better patent it else ... I believe however that the drift can be more serious.

OP
Q

Quake

I'll put up a post on the forum when I'm done my project - what I'm making is truly something that hasn't been attempted before (not to imply its the holy grail but THAT will be maximus soundus)

SiW

Have thought of this- but I did sorta say to myself hey its likely in the nanosecond region so *shrug shoulders*

I am still considering doing the 4x10 minidsp.,, but I wanted to go nanoDigi and external dacs for Maximus soundus

I’m going to use a NanoDIGI as well but for in car use.

As the DACs will use spdif coax input from the DSP, doesn’t the spdif signal include the clock time? Therefore shouldn’t they all align time wise?

Guess a small bit of tile alignment from the DSP would fix any larger time variances between the DACs.

I’m using CYP AU-D3-192 DACs as they are cheap in the UK and use the older BurBrown/TI PCM5101 chip I understand which should still be ok :)

I’m using the iPhone with Onkyo player as the source and a Topping D10 for the usb to spdif bridge into the NanoDIGI.

Simon

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The time drift Is likely to be random. It is best to think of a common clock source for all channels. Where are the experts when you need them?

Krunok

Major Contributor
The time drift Is likely to be random. It is best to think of a common clock source for all channels. Where are the experts when you need them?

I don't consider myself an expert but I do think all 4 DACs should be driven by the same clock.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It can be much, much worse than that. It starts that way but the drift will continue to get worse and worse and in just a few minutes, they could be significantly out of sync.

OP
Q

Quake

It can be much, much worse than that. It starts that way but the drift will continue to get worse and worse and in just a few minutes, they could be significantly out of sync.
Right understood.. considering the Speakers are to be tome alligned this is no good. for these reasons I may go the 4x10hd - have you played around with one or meausured on before ?

SiW

How would the drift ‘sound’? Just timing issue?

Wonder which DAC or DACs the NanoDIGI was designed to work with?

I saw a Linkwitz active system with a NanoDIGI and four Taishan DACs so the drift was maybe minimal?

Simon

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@Quake Go for a multichannel professional interface, Motu, focusrite etc

Oh and you probably will have issues driving seperate dacs from one software app, another reason to go for a multi channel interface.

What software are you intending to use to perform the crossover filtering?

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor

Exactly. And situation will get worse with each minute passing by..

Krunok

Major Contributor
How would the drift ‘sound’? Just timing issue?

My guess would be it would start with stereo/multichannel imaging getting worse. Given enough time you can get "echo/delay" effect as well. :D

jackenhack

Forum Donor
There is an additional issue to consider : That of the time drift between the DACs. They do not have a common time reference and there may (shall?) exist some time drift associated with that. I don’t know how severe it can be.

You could go apeshit and download my clock board here. It has a single 27Mhz clock and can be programmed to output eight different clocks. It even has a 10Mhz reference in, so you can connect it to an atomic clock and all the outputs are 0 PPM from that reference. You can have 100kHz to 200MHz clocks on either of the eight output. Desolder the DAC crystal, remove the capacitors around it, connect one of the outputs and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom